News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Curious About A MOD I Made

Started by IceXaos, December 01, 2010, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceXaos

I made a MOD on my site which allows administrators to view PMs and generate an inbox as well as an outbox by gathering the PMs other users have in their inbox from that user.  It can also regularly view all PMs by all users from newest to oldest with a specified amount showing (default: 30).

I know a may have given a few more details than needed, but just curious as to if this is actually allowed?  I know people have asked for it in the past, and developers tell them they will not help, and nobody will give help, but is it even allowed to put out a MOD for this?

I know this could be considered an "invasion of privacy", but there's reasoning for it under certain circumstances.

We allow real-life trading, game trading, account trading, and more which leads to scam reports and even though they are told not to, they end up using PMs and just copy/paste when they report it.  Since they could change that to be anything they'd like, I use this to see for myself.

Like I said, only admins can use it, not even moderators, so it is in good hands, but do you think I should put this into a package and release if it is allowed?  It's nothing real pretty, but it works perfectly and easy to understand.

flapjack

Did you consider enabling reporting of PMs instead of violating user's right to privacy? I don't know where are you from, but in many countries it would be consider as a crime, even if your users were informed. There are just some lines that should not be crossed. And please spare me pathetic speeches about your "reasoning". We live in a world where law enforcement needs permissions to investigate people's mail and other communication.

IceXaos

Quote from: flapjack on December 01, 2010, 08:55:31 PM
Did you consider enabling reporting of PMs instead of violating user's right to privacy? I don't know where are you from, but in many countries it would be consider as a crime, even if your users were informed. There are just some lines that should not be crossed. And please spare me pathetic speeches about your "reasoning". We live in a world where law enforcement needs permissions to investigate people's mail and other communication.
So in your opinion, it's better to allow someone to scam another, or have others banned for false reports and no consequences?  I think there's times where it's necessary, and like I said, it's not like we're just rummaging through their mail for something to read, it's for settling issues between users and staff.

Spoogs

There is an option to allow users to report PM's to admin, you can turn that on and allow your users to report the PM's instead of invading their inboxes.

Admin>>Configuration>>Security & Moderation... General - last option on the page.

IceXaos

Quote from: Spoogs on December 01, 2010, 09:29:34 PM
There is an option to allow users to report PM's to admin, you can turn that on and allow your users to report the PM's instead of invading their inboxes.
With a site such as ours, there's times where their honesty is not exactly something to trust.  If a user reports another of a certain "crime" on our site, then for it to be handled, we could not ask them to send us messages or he would simply get rid of the evidence asap.  I guess we don't exactly fit into the "normal" group of communities, and there's a bit more extremes we have to go to, and I know the report is there, so I guess this is just something that should be kept to myself.

Spoogs

A copy of the PM is sent when reported, it cant be changed once sent.

IceXaos

Quote from: Spoogs on December 01, 2010, 09:35:30 PM
A copy of the PM is sent when reported, it cant be changed once sent.
Yes, but neither the recipient nor the sender would be one of the ones willing to expose that it was ever sent.  Proof would come from an external site, reported by users, and investigated by staff.

Spoogs

So you're saying if someone was scammed on your site as you put it... or received a PM that violates whatever rules or policies on your site the... The RECIPIENT wouldnt report it. If thats the case said person accepts what happened to them right.

I'm the type of person thats not easily offended by anything so if I were on your site and some moron decided to go off the deep end in my inbox and i decided it wasnt worth reporting... As far as I'm concerned its not your business unless i decide to click that button.

I'm sorry but there just isnt any justification in the world to go through someones inbox... NONE

IceXaos

Quote from: Spoogs on December 01, 2010, 09:40:59 PM
So you're saying if someone was scammed on your site as you put it... or received a PM that violates whatever rules or policies on your site the... The RECIPIENT wouldnt report it. If thats the case said person accepts what happened to them right.

I'm the type of person thats not easily offended by anything so if I were on your site and some moron decided to go off the deep end in my inbox and i decided it wasnt worth reporting... As far as I'm concerned its not your business unless i decide to click that button.

I'm sorry but there just isnt any justification in the world to go through someones inbox... NONE
That's not what I'm saying.  The sender and recipient would be the ones doing wrong, and would only be caught because they exploit themselves externally.  It's simply a double-check before we ban them, in case it was made up to frame them.

flapjack

Quote from: IceXaos on December 01, 2010, 09:21:02 PM
So in your opinion, it's better to allow someone to scam another, or have others banned for false reports and no consequences?  I think there's times where it's necessary, and like I said, it's not like we're just rummaging through their mail for something to read, it's for settling issues between users and staff.
and what are you? an internet police?

I hope sooner or later you will be punished for that. karma's a ******

IceXaos

Quote from: flapjack on December 01, 2010, 09:48:26 PM
Quote from: IceXaos on December 01, 2010, 09:21:02 PM
and what are you? an internet police?

I hope sooner or later you will be punished for that. karma's a ******
I believe you fail to understand the reasoning and true workings of a community such as ours.

Spoogs

Quote from: IceXaos on December 01, 2010, 09:46:22 PM
That's not what I'm saying.  The sender and recipient would be the ones doing wrong, and would only be caught because they exploit themselves externally.  It's simply a double-check before we ban them, in case it was made up to frame them.
Try to justify all you want...
The simple response is... no I dont think such a mod would be allowed on the mod site but I'm sure someone who knows for a fact will eventually confirm that for ya.

IceXaos

Quote from: Spoogs on December 01, 2010, 09:53:10 PM
Quote from: IceXaos on December 01, 2010, 09:46:22 PM
Try to justify all you want...
The simple response is... no I dont think such a mod would be allowed on the mod site but I'm sure someone who knows for a fact will eventually confirm that for ya.
Well, if it's this controversial, I will simply keep it to myself.  I know it's not useful to the average forum, but in cases it is, and not everyone will understand that.  There are about 3 main sites such as ours, and all can view PMs of users if wanted, for the same exact reason as the others.  Most users already understand that this is available for us, and they don't have a problem with it because they can understand why we would do it.  To be honest, people were surprised we hadn't done it sooner, but with enough reports, we had to finally step in and do it.

Bigguy

Mods like this have been discussed before and I believe it is the opinion of SM that this not be allowed as a mod. With that said, there is nothing to say you can not make this and use it yourself. I just hope it does not lead to problems for you.

flapjack

I failed? No, it's you who failed to understand the right to the privacy. your methods are not different than communists or nazis.
don't try to diminish your pathetic approach

IceXaos

I understand the right to privacy, and like I said about 3 times now, we don't just read people's PMs for something to do.  We only do it when there's a reason that it would need to be done.  Within our site, we are the law that keeps it a good place.  It's like the police cannot randomly come search your house, but if there's a good reason to, they can.

SlammedDime

The official answer from us is that we will not allow any mod on our site or forum that allows an administrator to violate the privacy of their users.  While PM's are considered 'Personal Messages', not 'Private Messages', a mod of this nature still violates a user's privacy.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Depending on the local laws you fall under, it could even be concidered illegal if your users are under the impression that the PMs are by nature private.
In many countries all 1 to 1 communication not _intended_ for others, is illegal to intercept or use to any advantage.
This goes for written communications, spoken communications, radio communications etc.

That is why even the police need permits to something like that ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

IceXaos

Quote from: LexArma on December 02, 2010, 12:48:06 AM
Depending on the local laws you fall under, it could even be concidered illegal if your users are under the impression that the PMs are by nature private.
In many countries all 1 to 1 communication not _intended_ for others, is illegal to intercept or use to any advantage.
This goes for written communications, spoken communications, radio communications etc.

That is why even the police need permits to something like that ;)
In many states, it's not even technically illegal to read another person's emails.  I would doubt this would fall under being illegal.  If it does, well I guess I shouldn't post it in public then. lol

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

By states you probably mean in US? Remember, SMF has a world wide userbase, and most countries do restrict things like this by law...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: