News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Curious About A MOD I Made

Started by IceXaos, December 01, 2010, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceXaos

Quote from: LexArma on December 02, 2010, 01:17:51 AM
By states you probably mean in US? Remember, SMF has a world wide userbase, and most countries do restrict things like this by law...
Being as the server is hosted in the US, wouldn't it fall under US laws concerning anything like this?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: IceXaos on December 02, 2010, 01:18:55 AM
Quote from: LexArma on December 02, 2010, 01:17:51 AM
By states you probably mean in US? Remember, SMF has a world wide userbase, and most countries do restrict things like this by law...
Being as the server is hosted in the US, wouldn't it fall under US laws concerning anything like this?
If it was actually used here, then it would probably fall under the laws that bind SMF, but I wouldn't go offering a tool to break laws of any, not to mention many, countries even if it was technically legal in certain states of the US ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Dream of Omnimaga

The only way to be totally free of problems with PM systems is to just have none altogether. IMHO privacy is not an excuse to abuse the PM system on someone else's site, but since PMs are supposed to be private unless reported, the only way to do anything is to put a huge notice on the Inbox page written in yellow bold text on red background, encouraging the use of the "Report to moderator" feature. If PM reports fail to solve the abuse problem, then your only solution is to disable PM sending completely.

mannyRUA

IceXaos runs a site. The database belongs to him.

Most of us cannot be bothered and/or have no need to read PMs, but if in his community he does, that is his decision.

No reason to get shirty with the guy.

Ice, in answer to your original question, yes it is "allowed" in law in most places. Its your database to do what you like with. Just have folks agree to it during sign up within the TOS. It seems these chaps wont sanction your mod as an "official" mod. But, I saw enough requests for this over the years that there is clearly a market for it. You could sell it privately.

IceXaos

Quote from: mannyRUA on December 12, 2010, 05:27:40 PM
IceXaos runs a site. The database belongs to him.

Most of us cannot be bothered and/or have no need to read PMs, but if in his community he does, that is his decision.

No reason to get shirty with the guy.
Lol I thought this thread died by now ..

By the way, I'm not an ass that will go readin' your PMs for no reason, nor do I care what they say.  There's just a lot of things that go on in botting sites that don't in most, and unless you're used to it, most people wouldn't understand.  When I offered this, I guess I wasn't really thinkin' because most people will have no use for it, but I just figured I'd offer up since I already had it done, that's all.

flapjack

Quote from: mannyRUA on December 12, 2010, 05:27:40 PMIce, in answer to your original question, yes it is "allowed" in law in most places.
can you please name few of them please, and back it up of course, just few

IceXaos

Quote from: flapjack on December 12, 2010, 05:41:05 PM
Quote from: mannyRUA on December 12, 2010, 05:27:40 PMIce, in answer to your original question, yes it is "allowed" in law in most places.
can you please name few of them please, and back it up of course, just few
I'm too lazy to look, but check Google.  It's nothing new that employers can read emails sent to and from the work place, even without a contract saying so, and many other situations.  You just need a valid reason to look.

This thread can be locked at any time, as it's really gone off topic and I've gotten my answer.

flapjack

QuoteI'm too lazy to look, but check Google.  It's nothing new that employers can read emails sent to and from the work place, even without a contract saying so, and many other situations.  You just need a valid reason to look.
that's completely not relevant to what we are discussing.

mannyRUA

Flapjack, can I turn that around and ask you where you think it is illegal to access ones own database?

flapjack

I'm sorry, but the original question is whether you are or you are not allowed to read private messages between forum users. If you cannot see the difference between your question and the original one, I will give you a small clue: are knives illegal? and if not, is it illegal for me to use it? for example to stab few people? it's my knife after all...

edit:
I can give you an example of two countries, that disallow such behavior: Ireland and Poland. In both of them, accessing the information that is not intended for your eyes is illegal. This law applies for example if you are accessing an open wireless network (one that you know belongs to someone else), reading other people's mail, and I'm pretty sure that basing on those two you could easy extrapolate it over emails and private messages. And before you asked - yes, people were already convinced and sentenced for accessing others' open wireless network and using it, as well as for reading private correspondence.

IceXaos

Quote from: flapjack on December 12, 2010, 06:21:14 PM
I'm sorry, but the original question is whether you are or you are not allowed to read private messages between forum users. If you cannot see the difference between your question and the original one, I will give you a small clue: are knives illegal? and if not, is it illegal for me to use it? for example to stab few people? it's my knife after all...

edit:
I can give you an example of two countries, that disallow such behavior: Ireland and Poland. In both of them, accessing the information that is not intended for your eyes is illegal. This law applies for example if you are accessing an open wireless network (one that you know belongs to someone else), reading other people's mail, and I'm pretty sure that basing on those two you could easy extrapolate it over emails and private messages. And before you asked - yes, people were already convinced and sentenced for accessing others' open wireless network and using it, as well as for reading private correspondence.
US Based server, not Irish or Polish.  Try again.

mannyRUA

The messages are on your database. Of course it is allowed to access ones own database in most of the [European] free world.

Asking "allowed by whom?" might be a qualifier. Defining "allowed" in context would be another avenue to pursue if one were so inclined.

So, the question of "whether you are or you are not allowed to read private messages between forum users?" can be somewhat clarified as, "Am I allowed to read the contents of my own database?" To which the answer is, "Yes".

The whole argument about ethics, morals, SMF approval, approved mods, etc is quite secondary and indeed, another discussion.

As stated prior, if YOU think, in certain jurisdictions, people cannot access their own database as and how they please, do tell us where and why?

Your point about law in Ireland and Poland local laws is invalid. EU law trumps both, as Ireland and Poland are members of the EU. Unless the EU has a law defining this, local laws are usually over ruled.

flapjack

QuoteThe messages are on your database. Of course it is allowed to access ones own database in most of the [European] free world.
as you didn't understand the knife analogy I'm not surprised you cannot understand what I'm trying to say

QuoteYour point about law in Ireland and Poland local laws is invalid. EU law trumps both, as Ireland and Poland are members of the EU. Unless the EU has a law defining this, local laws are usually over ruled.
you are completely wrong. the EU law is not "over" anything. in certain cases however countries may agree to adopt the same policy to govern a certain aspect of life. countries within EU are still independent

QuoteUS Based server, not Irish or Polish.  Try again.
with every answer you are just proving your ignorance, as your original post didn't clarify whether your hosting is located. think again

I'm calling it a day, as I got involved into a dispute with two obvious trolls without realizing it. I wish you many PMs that you will "review" as "you own them".

IceXaos

Quote from: flapjack on December 12, 2010, 06:53:23 PM
with every answer you are just proving your ignorance, as your original post didn't clarify whether your hosting is located. think again

I'm calling it a day, as I got involved into a dispute with two obvious trolls without realizing it. I wish you many PMs that you will "review" as "you own them".
So, you are unable to read posts between the first & last?  I've stated that it's US Based already, therefor your Euro laws are completely irrelevant.  Also, I've stated that I'm not going to put this out a while ago, so there's no point in continuing your little flame fest.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As I believe this topic has filled it's purpose, and is getting sidetracked fast, I'll lock this now.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: