News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moderation Center Flaw?

Started by xrunner, December 08, 2010, 11:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrunner

It seems to me there is a basic function lacking in the new moderation center, but perhaps we're too dumb to figure it out - hence this thread.

Using the old forum (SMF 1.1.12) we had a topic where we listed a member, and then the posts in the thread contained notes of every violation of forum policy they committed. This was an easy and straightforward way to see a compact history of the member and to get a good feel for their behavior.

Now, the new SMF 2.0 has a moderation center, where all the reports go and where the moderators act on each report, make notes, and it's all documented. Great, except for one problem: I have not found a way to get a history of moderator actions against a particular member out of the moderation center. It seems to be post-centered and not member-centered. This makes for a very difficult time looking at a member's history of violations.

My mods are complaining that we must now keep notes in the moderation center, and yet will still have to use the old record keeping thread too - multiple places of documentation. Couldn't the moderation center be modified to generate reports for a particular member also? Is it there and I just can't find it?

Are we missing something. or do I have a valid point here?

xrunner

Does anyone know how to get a report out of the moderation center logs that give a history of a particular member's reports? Doesn't this seem a logical thing to get out of the records that are being kept in the moderation center logs? Otherwise you have to keep yet another log/history to keep track of members that cause problems. Does this need to be a suggestion for an enhancement?

Kays

Hi, if you go into a member's profile and click on "Issue a Warning" there will be a list of all warnings issued to that member. Is that what you're looking for?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

xrunner

Quote from: Kays on December 10, 2010, 09:27:34 AM
Hi, if you go into a member's profile and click on "Issue a Warning" there will be a list of all warnings issued to that member. Is that what you're looking for?

I know about that. But that presumes you already have a list of members that you know have been warned. What if you have a forum operating over months with say 15 members warned? How do you keep track of who all is warned without making yet another thread of all the warned members? There isn't even a way in the reports section to get a report like that, nor is the info in the memberlist. The info is there, so why doesn't SMF give us an easy way to get at it?

Kays

Well, at least there's a moderation centre now. :)

I can see where your coming from. It would be a nice feature especially for a busy forum. Currently 2.0 is feature locked so you won't see an enhancement like this until the next version. The best you can do is to request that someone make a mod for this.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

xrunner

Quote from: Kays on December 10, 2010, 10:46:38 AM
Well, at least there's a moderation centre now. :)

I can see where your coming from. It would be a nice feature especially for a busy forum. Currently 2.0 is feature locked so you won't see an enhancement like this until the next version. The best you can do is to request that someone make a mod for this.

I guess that's the only recourse. It seems a damn shame that the ability to list and track all warnings easily wasn't included in the moderation center (or anywhere else), when the warnings information is certainly available somewhere in the database. Tracking problem members is always a problem and I was really hoping the moderation center would solve it, but clearly it doesn't - it's post-based record keeping rather than having an option to be member-based. We'll just have to keep using the old Record-keeping thread for it.  :(

Kays

Yes, the information is there. But It's minimal. Just the reason for the warning and the notice sent.  Although it still would be nice to have a log of this. If it does happen, it won't be until the next version. So requesting a mod would be the best approach for now.

On the upside of creating a post when a warning is issued. Is that other moderators are able to comment also so you might get a better picture of what's going on.

My Mods

Antechinus

We should make this an official mod for 2.0, and core feature in 2.1 IMO.

xrunner

Quote from: Kays on December 10, 2010, 11:57:07 AM
Yes, the information is there. But It's minimal. Just the reason for the warning and the notice sent.  Although it still would be nice to have a log of this. If it does happen, it won't be until the next version. So requesting a mod would be the best approach for now.

It's there - I finally found it.

Go to

Moderation - main - warnings

or

Moderation - main - watched members

Yay.

Advertisement: