News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

VigLink

Started by lurkalot, December 12, 2010, 06:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awolexpat

I installed this yesterday (SMF 2.0.1) through the package manager and had to emulate RC5 for it to install, so I guess either the new package is not being downloaded from SMF or there is some kind of error with it; it installed fine with emulation though.

Babyfacemagee

I've tried two ways.  I've downloaded through package manager by finding the file on my hard drive.  I've also tried uploading the file directly to my packages directory.  Either way I get the same result.  No install option, just shows 'list files' and 'delete'.   Again, i'm using 2.0.1.  Tried it on two different forums, kindlefireforums.com and jetstreamforums.com   It works on my 2.0 rc4 and rc5 installations.   You can see one it's working on at thinkpadtabletforums.com

Babyfacemagee

I tried installing it through emulation as RC5 and while it installs it is not active on the site. Certain words that 'should' have turned into links like 'amazon' and 'nvidia' (which do on my other forums with viglink installed) do not, so it appears to not be working.  Also when I try to verify installation on the viglink site it says it is not finding it. 

Interestingly it 'does' verify on  iconiatabforums.com (one of my sites it is working on) but does NOT verify on thinkpadtabletforums.com even though on that second site it also is working...just not verifying.  So just to clarify...through emulation of rc5 i was able to get it to install on kindlefireforums.com and jetstreamforums.com and I put in my viglink code...but it does not appear to be active on either of those two sites and it does not verify on the viglink site either.

Looks to be a few glitches here with the mod and different versions of smf 2.

Tony Reid

You've got it installed twice on kindlefireforums.

The viglink verify test is very inconsistant - and if you are getting link conversions then its working.

The code is aslo running on the jetstreamforums.com site.

Are you using the same viglink api key on all the sites?
Tony Reid

Babyfacemagee

My installer is showing only one install on kindle fire forums although maybe one of the past attempts to install didn't delete all the way.   It is not working on either jetstreamforums.com or kindlefireforums.com.  I know this because usually the words 'amazon' and 'nvidia' will be turned into links as they do on all my other sites.  They aren't on these two forums.  Yes, I am using the same api key for all the sites.

Babyfacemagee

Also, the viglink verifier DOES work on my other sites where it is working.   For instance on thinkpadtableforums.com and iconiatabforums.com when I do the verify it says it is and both of those sites have certain affiliate words turned into links so I know it's working.   The two others I mentioned are not so even if the code is there...it's not activating for some reason.

Tony Reid

Attach the index.template.php for each site - and I'll edit them manually for you :)

Tony Reid

joseflor

I also had the same problem. I have read this post and could not figure out the problem. My Forum is SMF 1.1.15
I did not install the mod as it is for SMF2, instead I past the code manually at index.templat.php (attached here)

ths
José Flor

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in .../Themes/default/index.template.php on line 564

555: var ga = document.createElement(\'script\'); ga.type = \'text/javascript\'; ga.async = true;
556: ga.src = (\'https:\' == document.location.protocol ? \'https://ssl\' : \'http://www\') + \'.google-analytics.com/ga.js\';
557: var s = document.getElementsByTagName(\'script\')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
558: })();
559: // ]]', chr(62), '</script>';
560:
561: echo '
562: <script type="text/javascript">
563: var vglnk = { api_url: '//api.viglink.com/api',
564: key: '27545d99ddedaa200e6f018fd5f3cbd9' };
565:
566: (function(d, t) {
567: var s = d.createElement(t); s.type = 'text/javascript'; s.async = true;
568: s.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? vglnk.api_url :

joseflor

Hi,
Problem solved...
I am attaching the right code you have to past into the index.template.php

echo '
<script type="text/javascript">
  var vglnk = { api_url: \'//api.viglink.com/api\',
key: \'27545d99ddedaa200e6f018fd5f3cbd9\' };

(function(d, t) {
var s = d.createElement(t); s.type = \'text/javascript\'; s.async = true;
s.src = (\'https:\' == document.location.protocol ? vglnk.api_url :
\'//cdn.viglink.com/api\') + \'/vglnk.js\';
var r = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0]; r.parentNode.insertBefore(s, r);
  }(document, \'script\'));
</script>
';

The problem is with a lot of "\" that need to be changed. I am using SMF 1.1.15
Tony said to place the code as we copy it from VigLink and leave it for a wile. It did not work, I try it before and I left my forum off air for one day.

I hope it will help you with this issue.

Cheers
José Flor
PS don't forget the echo' in front of the code.

Tony Reid

Hi Joseflor, this mod is for SMF2 and will not install on 1.1.15.

It also adds functionality in the backend to manage your keys.

If anyone using SMF 1.1.x uses the code in the above post - it might work(I haven't tested it) - but you need to change the api key to match the one viglink have provided you - otherwise someone else will be getting your clicks!
Tony Reid

GlitchPC

This mod installs fine on SMF 2.0.1 using RC5 emulation, but there are no settings for the mod...NOTHING!

What's going on???

Tony Reid

The setting is in admin...

Admin » Features and Options » General [Your VigLink API Key]
Tony Reid

GlitchPC

Heh...found it.  Forgot to tell ya I did, though. My bad....

lurkalot

Quote from: awolexpat on October 06, 2011, 05:13:02 AM
I installed this yesterday (SMF 2.0.1) through the package manager and had to emulate RC5 for it to install, so I guess either the new package is not being downloaded from SMF or there is some kind of error with it; it installed fine with emulation though.

That's because there's a typo in the install line ;)

<install for="2.0 RC1.2, 2.0 RC2, 2.0 RC3, 2.0 RC4, 2.0 RC5, 2.0 2.0.1">

Unistall is fine though,

<uninstall for="2.0 RC1.2, 2.0 RC2, 2.0 RC3, 2.0 RC4, 2.0 RC5, 2.0, 2.0.1">

Now, anyone know where to find the API key on the Viglink site please?

Tony Reid

Oops - thanks, I'll correct that :)
Tony Reid

lurkalot

N
Quote from: Tony Reid on December 19, 2011, 03:16:09 PM

Oops - thanks, I'll correct that :)

No problem. ;)

I already installed by editing that line.  Can't get the thing to verify though.  I can see the code and key in my source code, but no worky. :(  I'm running Tinyportal, would this make a difference?

Tony Reid

Nope -  but it does work, give it a couple of days and you will see ;)

I think their checker is a bit pants.
Tony Reid

lurkalot

GlitchPC

Maybe I should be talking to someone over at VigLink...but, thought I'd post here, as well.

I have a small forum...and just a few members.  Eventually hoping it will grow...it just takes time.

I have this mod installed and to help monetize the links on the board, you have to configure VigLink to re-affiliate links, or use link insertion.  You also have to let VigLink know the type of site you have and what software you use.  I had to settle for "Electronics" as a category...and the "SMF" software wasn't listed.

Testing the links...and if you include a certain product like Inspiron 17R, you get no link.  If you use the word "Dell"...it links.  It links to Dell...not the product.  To me...this isn't a very good way to monetize links.  On my site, anyway.  Just saying...

If I want to recommend a specific product for someone on my site...and VigLink doesn't insert a link...how is this helping me?  If I have to manually insert a link and/or an affiliate code...why do I need VigLink?  Again...just saying.

I see there are a small number of downloads for this mod...so, I'm just wondering...is it worth it?

Heardy

I installed this mod on my forum yet it's still saying it's not installed...

hxxp://www.consolecravings.co.uk - This is the website I installed it on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Using SMF 2.0.2 just to let you know.
Mindless Junk - A haven for forumers.

Advertisement: