News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Facebook and Twitter Sharer

Started by Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen, December 13, 2010, 04:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Version emulation, and will work ;)

I'm still trying to find time to update this though - hopefully soon.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

snadge

the facebook button has suddenly stopped working? - the twitter button is still there but the facebook button is replace with text 'share' which highlights as a link but doesnt work? - no updates of any sort have been installed on my forum which is 2.0.2

can anyone help with this please?

thanks

Gryzor

snadge

Quote from: Gryzor on July 17, 2012, 08:45:21 AM
Maybe FB changed something in their APIs?

how do I find out? is yours working?

Gryzor

Nah, unfortunately I'm waiting for the updated version to install...

A quick look around doesn't reveal a change in FB. Maybe there's something wrong with your server? How long has the problem been there?

snadge

ive asked my host and he says nothing has changed... the twitter button still works and where the FB button is supposed to be it says SHARE and it highlights like a link but doesnt work...  my friend says he cant see it either and ive tried chrome and firefox with ABP off, also IE9 is same

it just started this morning, well it was last spotted this morning

Gryzor

Yes, I saw it myself on your site as well. If any other user can come forward and tell us if they have it installed we can compare the code output to see what goes wrong where...

snadge

can you see it now?

I have tried an uninstall and reinstall but still same - I will say that the uninstall had 1 error but i just went ahead with it after backing up with softaculous, I had to emulate SMF 2.0 to get it to install/uninstall etc - anyway results are the same... I think its FB API like you say

Gryzor

Yes, it still doesn't show. But those install/uninstall error messages are usually pretty useful in telling you if and what's wrong, if you examine the lines where the error occured...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Afaik, Sharer is not recommended by FB anymore, in favor of the like button, but should work perfectly none the less.

I'm sorry I haven't updated yet, but I'm just incredibly busy IRL..
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

You're right about Like vs Share though indeed there are lots of services that use Share (and I hate Like... stupid FB!).

Don't worry, other things are more important :)

snadge

wierd - it has come back but wrong/different, the word SHARE is still there but no longer a link and a new FB SHARE link is next to it - great.. but in chrome it completely removes everything from the top bar

Im gunna have to uninstall it as its now affecting the layout of my SMF forum

EDIT: UNINSTALLED... was a great mod. i will have to find another

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I can pretty much promise the problem is not in the mod itself, it's working perfectly on my own forum still. The latest 2.0 version I might add.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Snadge, before blaming the mod it'd be useful to at least take a look at the errors your SMF throws at you.

snadge

how can it be anything to do with me when nothing has been changed or updated etc?

i have checked error log and I have 44,000 errors all from same thing prettyurls or my theme, im gunna try and get help with that - but the mod worked fine until few days ago and changed - because the facebook button changed from one button too another obviously points too changes on FB API - i dunno why yours is still working the same, probably cached or sommit? - its a completely new button now and it seems to me the mod needs updating to work with it properly

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually - It does seem I have to take that back... It seems like FB just decided to change it all of a sudden, no matter the millions of sites using the original sharer.php...

So, at this moment - this mod is outdated, and as far as I can see, might not repairable as is. I will need to see if I can get a similar mod done with the current options FB offers,
but I'm sorry to say I'm doubtful, because I will not make a mod using XFBML. Period.

EDIT: I will be looking in to this though, I'll keep you updated if I can repair this..
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Well, it's a shame if it can't be updated because it sure is the best of all the social mods out there. However, it's not like you've been paid and are obliged to update or anything, so, well, real life and personal wants are above this... Thanks anyhow.

DarkAngel612

I too hope it can be fixed. The other mods are just not what we need and this one works just like our stores FB button does...it shares not likes...lol

big difference. originally I thought maybe it ate its button cause I had to "fix" what button to use in our store...did not like the one showing. It still works. But our forum button has disappeared totally, not even the text is showing.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

DarkAngel612

just checking to see if there is a progress report. or if I should just remove the mod totally.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Advertisement: