News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Using international/special characters breaks messages

Started by JeM7BsB, December 12, 2010, 11:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeM7BsB

Hi,

I have upgraded my forum (www.lowcarbforum.nl) to 2RC4 and now any message that contains an international/special character only shows up with the part till the position of such a character. Same thing happens in topic names. My forum language is set to Dutch utf8. Anyone has any idea what to check or configure?

Regards,

Eddy

Norv

Are your database tables columns UTF8? You can see the collation of the columns in PHPMyadmin, when looking at a table's structure (i.e. smf_messages). Please look at the columns, not the entire database or table.

In your file Settings.php, is there a line saying:

$db_character_set = 'utf8';
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

JeM7BsB

I imported an old database in to a clean install of 2RC4. Table yabbse_messages has UTF collation (utf_general_ci) in several columns/fields, for instance body, subject

I do have that line in my Settings.php

Norv

For what SMF version was the old database?

Did you have a backup of database structure and data, or only data?

What happens if you comment momentarily that line from Settings.php, i.e. replace it with:

// $db_character_set = 'utf8';
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

JeM7BsB

The old database was 2RC3

It was a complete database, so structure and data. In fact all users and topics/messages were transferred fine (except for the special character challenge)

Nothing changes when I comment the line

Norv

In phpMyAdmin, can you see a particular message (which appears "broken" on the forum) correctly displayed?

A link to your forum would be appreciated if possible.

JeM7BsB

The messages appear 'broken' in phpMyAdmin too. Just made a test message "qwertéüø' which shows up as 'qwert'

My forum is at http://www.lowcarbforum.nl

Deaks

JeM7BsB, does this issue still happen, as you not repsonded in 3 weeks im marking this as solved until you update us :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

tycms

I have exactly the same problem described in the first post of this subject. I previously started a new topic about this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=415827

Following Norv's directions, I made further tests on this. Now, I suspect that this might be a bug in the update process of the smf_2-0-rc4_update package.

For anyone to easily replicate my results, I will describe what I have done step by step.

1) I started with a clean 2.0 RC3 install (using the smf_2-0-rc3_install.zip package). I selected the UTF-8 database option during the install.

2) I started a new topic and posted a new message containing non-ANSI characters.

3) I uploaded the smf_2-0-rc4_update.zip package and applied it to the RC3 install.

After the update, non-ANSI characters are corrupt (replaced with question marks).

tycms

Illori

tycms

I already did that Illori. And I doubt this is "my issue". If this is a bug, it concerns the SMF development process and hence the whole community.

JeM7BsB

Quote from: Runic on January 04, 2011, 06:44:20 PM
JeM7BsB, does this issue still happen, as you not repsonded in 3 weeks im marking this as solved until you update us :)

Well, as I didn't hear anything thing back I sort of solved it myself. It's possible to use special characters again on the forum, but all old messages are still 'broken'. Forum users seem to be ok with this

Advertisement: