News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Guest IP showing up as (0.0.0.0)

Started by cloksin, December 29, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloksin

I'm running SMF 2.0 RC3 and I've noticed something a little disturbing.  When I go to the "Who's Online" page it shows Guest (0.0.0.0), and at one point it showed that guest's action as "editing Features and Options".  I know none of my admins were doing that type of editing since I was talking to them and it makes me nervous that someone I can't track seems to have gotten into the admin section of my site.  Does anyone have an explanation for this?
SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

kat

0.0.0.0 showing up is almost always the result something incorrectly configured in a network, usually software spitting out incorrect data.

I can fairly guarantee that it's caused by something in your host's network. But, most likely, something incorrectly configured on the server itself.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that it probably came from a proxy and when your logging script/soft attempted to detect the users real IP, it failed miserably. Usually, it's the result of a fake Forwarded IP tag being spat out by the proxy.

Your script takes this value and inserts it as the "real" IP for the user.

cloksin

Thanks, any suggestions on how to correct this?
SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

kat

That would probably work.

Thing is, as long as guests don't have permissions to do that, you'll be OK.

Probably someone mucking around.

You see, I could pretend to be doing the same, here, by trying to go to:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=featuresettings

It would show up, like that, if admin looked at the last thing I did.

I couldn't do anything, though.

tesser

A note: if your hosting your own site  and enter via localhost you show your ip.

If you enter via https://127.0.0.1 you can also show up as 0.0.0.0 as i do when im on my hosting machine.

here is me on my sever machine  signed in but show as guest

Guest (0.0.0.0)    09:34:37 pm    Viewing the Portal.

I took a pic as i feel i might be shouted at

merlin_nl

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on December 29, 2010, 04:28:06 PM
Ask your host to disable ipv6.

WTF ? With all do respect and no offence intended..
I would NEVER disable IPv6 on any of my webservers... Packages that are not IPv6 compatible, sorry, but no thx.

Try looking into php explode ::ffff:IPv4address :)

Arantor

It won't be added to 2.0 since 2.0 is feature locked but it is something under consideration for 2.1.

Advertisement: