News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Making certain words to links automatically

Started by Calzone, January 01, 2011, 07:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calzone

Here is what I want. A user writes e.g. "Use the xyz function" and is automatically made in to: "Use the xyz function"

Tried the censored words feature but when quoted it's ruined. (the double replacement makes it look very funny)

How should it be done? A mod?
Greetings
Calzone

Ashley S

If your requesting a Modification then your posting in the wrong section ;).

Request a Modification in the Mod Requests section :).

Calzone

Quote from: Ashley S on January 01, 2011, 08:17:08 PM
If your requesting a Modification then your posting in the wrong section ;).

Request a Modification in the Mod Requests section :).
Where did you see the request? And please stop clouding my topic if you don't have a solution.
Greetings
Calzone

Ashley S

You said: "How should it be done? A mod?"

And yes it will be a Modification, But for that you can search it yourself ;).

Calzone

Quote from: Ashley S on January 01, 2011, 08:31:12 PM
You said: "How should it be done? A mod?"
Christ... By that logic I can tell you there are over a thousand posts in the wrong section here...

Quote from: Ashley S on January 01, 2011, 08:31:12 PM
And yes it will be a Modification, But for that you can search it yourself ;).
I will not take your word for it! I'll wait for one who knows something. And for the last time stop clouding! I will not be needing your help. Thanks!
Greetings
Calzone

Arantor

Bigguy

There are a few problems with that mod but I do run it on my site which is SMF 2.0 RC4 and it runs fine. If you do install it read the support thread on it and you should be fine. :)

Calzone

Quote from: IncognitoMuse on January 01, 2011, 08:44:35 PM
Search the mod site for the Glossary mod.
If you were thinking of this mod it won't do it for me. It only has tooltips I need a link.
Greetings
Calzone

Bigguy

Maybe there is a way to turn the tooltips into links. You would have to ask in that topic about that though.

Calzone

Then I'll rather make my own mod than installing an outdated mod that does not meet my demands.
Greetings
Calzone

Ashley S

PM the owner of the Modification - Profile of slinouille

Or find his topic and ask him to upgrade it..

Bigguy

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Maybe someone will be around soon to help you on this.

@ Ashley S: He may not get an answer as he has not been on for almost a month.

Ashley S

Calzone

Greetings
Calzone

Bigguy

Arantor

(And support it evermore, and update it for every new version of SMF that comes along? Because I guarantee you now, if you release it and don't keep up, you only get whined at. There are so many mods that get abandoned because of this mentality it's unreal.)

Bigguy

Great way to get the guy involved with SMF...

Arantor

Hey, I got abuse and once even threatened about looking after my mods. It's a fact of life that's how it is, and the best bit is that there are enough people here who actually say if someone isn't going to keep a mod updated they shouldn't even submit it in the first place. At least this way there is a reasonable guide of what to expect about submitting a mod.

Too many people submitted mods, and got fed up of feeling like they had to keep them up to date, because people whine so much about it.

Bigguy

I have had a few mods on the mod site. I'm down to one now and it's not a very big mod. People ask me to update it and I take it in stride. Just cause they ask doesn't mean they are whining about it. I see your point if people abandon their mods and leave them here for people to get grumpy over. That happens at every site out there that supports add-ons for their project, whatever it may be. I asked him if he was going to release it or the code cause it sounded like a good mod to have. It's his choice if he does or not. The fact that you had to step in and discourage him from doing so does not help SMF or others learn about this software or coding in general.

Arantor

*shrug* I'd rather people be educated about how it will be rather than get in over their head. Been there, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Bigguy

It's good to let people know how things are but the way you put it sounds a bit harsh really. People deal with situations differently. What may be whining to you may not be to someone else. :) (Just sayin that's all)

Arantor

I just hope he doesn't get demands and threats, at least, and if producing more than one mod is prepared to deal with the guilt trips of 'this is a nice mod but it doesn't do <x> so I won't use it'.

That said, it would be nice to see some more adventurous mods for SMF. I just wish writing mods didn't come with all the hassles, I'd have written far more than I did if that were the case, and my final count was I believe 49 here and 17 on my own site that never made it here.

Bigguy

Ah, ya can't listen to the guilt trips. If we all did that then there would be no mods around. If someone said that to me I would say either that feature is coming in a future release or nicely tell them to go code there own. :) No one should be threatening anyone over mods or features in mods. Sorry to hear that happened to you. 49 is alot of mods for sure...maybe you needed an assistant, lol. :)

abraamz

Be positive!!
@Calzone: Could you please share your code? I could find a use for it in my forum!
@IncognitoMuse: Maybe you could give them away as plain tip n tricks. Just code, less worries.  :)

Calzone

I will not be uploading my work. Since I don't have the time to make the package nor the documentation.
Greetings
Calzone

KT

well maybe ya could open source it on smf and let another coder tweak  it to a mod

sounds logical to me  ;D

KT

Advertisement: