News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[WIP] SimpleNetwork

Started by Marcus Forsberg, January 08, 2011, 01:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Forsberg

Hello,

Last year I started thinking of a social modification for SMF, that would implement a "wall" feature with status updates and like buttons similar to what Facebook does.
I put the project on hold due to lack of time and interest, however yesterday I randomly started to work on it and I now have a fully usable new profile for SMF, although many features are still missing.
Check out the screenshots below!

TO-DO
- Rewrite SMF buddy system (implement friend approvals, etc)
- Permissions (currently, everyone can post status updates and comment on other's)
- AJAX (speed up everything by removing page reloads using JQuery)
- @-mentions/tags (the ability to "mention" others in posts and comments, similar to Twitter and DailyBooth)
- hashtags (similar to Twitter and DailyBooth, i.e #nowplaying Hard to Swallow - You Me At Six)
- Personal settings (even if admins choose to let users enable/disable the new profile freely, there's currently no way to do so. Also let them choose who can see what in their profile (see buddy system above))
- Capture images with webcam
- Pagination (don't display everything at once)
- Different types of updates (text, image, link, quote, video; similar to Tumblr blogs)
- Lists of people (For the like-buttons, see a list of people who's liked a status or comment)
- Admin panel introduction (A screen to greet the admin when they enter the ACP. News, version information, stats, help, etc)
- Stats (top likers, top commenters, top statuses, top comments. This may work differently depending on the personal settings and privacy settings, see above)
- Notifications (notify users when someone likes their status/comment or comments on one of their statuses, etc)
- Notes (when a user likes something or comments on a status, post to their wall, i.e "cσσкιє мσηѕтєя likes CoreISP's status")
- Integrate with SMF features (post to wall on new topics, posts, etc, and include notifications for PMs and stuff)
- Integrate with popular mods (for example a gallery, post to the wall when the user uploads an image)
- Add like/dislike buttons to the forum as well.
- (possibly) integrate like buttons with the karma system
- (possibly) chat/IM system
- "Social Portal" (a new homepage for SMF with an integrated wall that displays status updates from all your friends. Also as a block for existing portal mods)
- more

As you can see, their's quite a lot left to do on this one. Now, I'm not trying to copy Facebook, Twitter, DailyBooth or Tumblr here, just taking inspiration from some of their popular features.
I'm not setting time frames, I just want to have a project I can work on when I have time over and when I'm bored.
And oh, before you ask:

Can I be a beta tester?
- Alpha Previews of this mod are publicly available, so technically, yes, you can. Just download the latest package and test it. If you find any bugs, go ahead and report them in this topic. You can apply to be a real beta tester through your profile after you've signed up at the project website. If I approve you you'll have larger access to the development process.

Can I have this for 1.1.x?
- No. 2.0 Final will be out soon, it's time to move on once and for all.

Is there any live demo?
- No, not yet. You can try it out on your own test forum by downloading the latest preview package below.

Can I have cookies?
- No, they're mine. Well, if you ask nicely.... :P

DOWNLOAD
Click here for the latest Alpha Preview (1.0.3) DANGER! ONLY INSTALL IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

BUG TRACKER
Feel free to sign up and report any issue you find with the alpha previews. Doing so would help me a lot since it's easier to keep track of a bug tracker than a forum topic like this. :)

http://simplenetwork.marcusforsberg.net/

Edit, January 08 2011, 11:05 PM: Added a new screenshot showing one of the popup windows that shows a list of people who's liked/disliked a status or comment.
Edit, January 09 2011, 00:32 AM: Added hashtags to the to-do
Edit, January 09 2011, 00:45 AM: Added social portal to the to-do
Edit, January 09 2011, 10:27 AM: Added a chat to the to-do
Edit, January 09 2011, 04:21 PM: Started working on post types, see new screenshot. Text, photo, link, quote and video (requires an auto-embedder). All done except for photos.
Edit, January 16 2011, 07:53 PM: Decided to include webcam support so users can capture photos and include in their status updates. Screenshot of the UI attached.
Edit, January 21 2011, 12:44 PM: Added the core for "notes". More types will be added as I go along.
Edit, January 21 2011, 03:06 PM: A note will now be added to the users wall when they comment on, or like/dislike a status update. If the comment is removed or the like is reverted, the added note disappears as well.
Edit, February 04 2011, 06:22 PM: Set up an SVN. A public, and very (!!) buggy, alpha package will be available within a week or so, just as an early preview.
Edit, February 05 2011, 07:01 PM: Status updates and comments are now seamlessly posted using JQuery. Like/Dislike buttons will have the same functionality later tonight.
Edit, February 06 2011, 06:47 PM: From now on, updates can be seen in the changelog for each alpha preview.

And here's a few screenshots. I'll update this topic as I go along, this is just a sneak peak. :)

cicka

This looks a very nice add on to the forum. I can see this becoming very popular.

Mick.

DoctorMalboro

Nice... i can wait for the public beta.

Anyways... can i haz cookiez, cookiez maztr? :P

Marcus Forsberg

Update January 08 2011, 11:05 PM: Added a new screenshot showing one of the popup windows that shows a list of people who's liked/disliked a status or comment.

Quote from: cicka on January 08, 2011, 01:45:15 PM
This looks a very nice add on to the forum. I can see this becoming very popular.

Yes, I do hope that people will find it useful. :)
Quote from: bluedevil on January 08, 2011, 01:46:30 PM
Oooooooo, i likey ;)

;)
Quote from: DoctorMalboro on January 08, 2011, 01:54:41 PM
Nice... i can wait for the public beta.

Anyways... can i haz cookiez, cookiez maztr? :P

:)

* cσσкιє мσηѕтєя hands DoctorMalboro a handful of cookies.

DoctorMalboro

The like system would also be like wordpress.com? I mean, can you like or dislike topics? That would be awsome...

Also some SSI.php codes to add in websites :P
Quote from: cσσкιє мσηѕтєя on January 08, 2011, 04:10:16 PM:)

* cσσкιє мσηѕтєя hands DoctorMalboro a handful of cookies.

Mmmm... om nom nom...

* DoctorMalboro enjoys cσσкιє мσηѕтєя's cookies :)

Marcus Forsberg

Quote from: DoctorMalboro on January 08, 2011, 04:15:34 PM
The like system would also be like wordpress.com? I mean, can you like or dislike topics? That would be awsome...

Yeah, it's in the to-do list. :)

Antes

Hey ! you have no right to do stuff like that :D :D (its freakin' awesome !)

Marcus Forsberg

Update, January 09 2011, 00:32 AM: Added hashtags to the to-do
Update, January 09 2011, 00:45 AM: Added social portal to the to-do

Quote from: Antes on January 08, 2011, 05:10:17 PM
Hey ! you have no right to do stuff like that :D :D (its freakin' awesome !)

;D

Spoogs

live627

Seems a great idea there Nas

Matthew K.

Glad to see you're continuing to develop this rather than letting it go. It looks like a great start for sure.

JBlaze

Looks like Facebook-gone-Curve :P

Nice work CM.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

khemara

Great mod! Where could I see the real demo?

Marcus Forsberg

Thanks guys ;)

Quote from: sokha on January 09, 2011, 02:40:37 AM
Great mod! Where could I see the real demo?

There's none, yet.

Robert.

Marcus Forsberg

Update, January 09 2011, 04:21 PM: Started working on post types, see new screenshot. Text, photo, link, quote and video (requires an auto-embedder). All done except for photos.

Arantor

JBlaze

Would look alot better on a more "social" theme ;)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Marcus Forsberg

Yeah. I might go ahead and develop one once I've finished the mod. One with loads of options so you can customize it properly. It does look pretty good on the "Presence" theme though, I must say :D

Advertisement: