Just installed yaBB SE- a couple of questions

Started by Tom, August 06, 2003, 11:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I just installed yaBB SE. I was going to wait untill SMF was out, but I decided I would try and see if I could figure out how to.  :)

QuotePlease remember to delete install.php or rename it so it can't be executed, and to chmod your installation dir to something other than 777
Congratulations, the installation is complete!

What should I set my chmod to?

I noticed that insred of the board that you are on being displayed like it is here (eg: Simple Machines Community Forums | SMF Support | General English Support)

It was done like:         Community-
                                             |      |
                                             |-  -Topic-
                                             |            |
                                             |  - - -   -General Discussion

(I hope you can tell what I mean)

How can I made it like how it is here?

And last question.  Since I just installed yaBB SE to basically learn how to so there would be no problems with SMF, when SMF is made aviable to downlad, should I just delete all of the forum files and do a new install, or should I do some or of upgrade? Which would be easier?

Thanks very much!  ;D

Douglas

QuoteI just installed yaBB SE. I was going to wait untill SMF was out, but I decided I would try and see if I could figure out how to.  :) What should I set my chmod to?
Welcome to the YSE/SMF family, Tom!  If you take a peek at THIS THREAD on YaBBSE.org, it lets you know exactly how you should set your permissions.

QuoteI noticed that insred of the board that you are on being displayed like it is here (eg: Simple Machines Community Forums | SMF Support | General English Support)

How can I made it like how it is here?
In your Admin area, click on "Installed 'Mods' Settings and Options.  Place a check next to "Enable inline links".  That'll take care of that for you.  :)

QuoteAnd last question.  Since I just installed yaBB SE to basically learn how to so there would be no problems with SMF, when SMF is made aviable to downlad, should I just delete all of the forum files and do a new install, or should I do some or of upgrade? Which would be easier?
I would go ahead and just set your forum up with the YSE 1.5.4 system.  When we get closer to rolling out SMF 1.0, there will be an upgrade/conversion script available for those that want to upgrade their systems.  Details aren't finalized just yet, however, it should be relatively painless, and if it's not, just come on back and let us work our magic with ya.

Any other questions, go ahead and hit this baby up, we'll be glad to answer them.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Tom

Thank you.   :D

I'm not going to change the chmod yet since I'm still playing with it. Thats not a major security risk if it is set to 777 is it?

If I'm still making changes what would you recommend I set it to?

(I found this cool thing thats pretty useful if you're somone like me who doesn't really know this stuff: http://javascriptkit.com/script/script2/chmodcal3.shtml)

Douglas

The FAQ provides all the CHMOD info you need to know, including if you're working on your forums.

It IS a risk to leave it at 777, that's even stated in the FAQ at the link I gave you.

Just follow the directions in the FAQ, it even lets you know what files need to be adjusted when you're making modifications.  :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Tom

Thank you very much!  :D

I was using a remotly hosted phpBB board and didn't want to move because I would loose the member database. But now that I see how much yaBB SE is so unbelivebly, greatly, better than phpBB, it is more than woth the switch!  :)

Douglas

There's even a phpBB => YaBB SE conversion script, too, on YSE's site.
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Tom

Yea, but it's remotley hosted and I can't get a hold of any of the files...  :'(

Tom

I've another question.

I was looking around the admin pannel, and was trying to find something that said how much bandwith and space I was using. Is there any way to tell?

Thanks  :)

Spaceman-Spiff

usually you can tell the bandwidth usage by looking at your site control panel (ensim, cpanel, etc), not the forum cp

[Unknown]

YaBB SE doesn't tell you those things, good idea for SMF though.

Upgrade script is being kept current, it's less painless than any other upgrade script for YaBB SE... imho.

PERSONALLY I think 777 isn't a huge security risk.  Here's why: the second it becomes a risk, your database is vulnerable.  And since you can't protect your database, who cares about protecting the files?!

So basically, keep 777 from being a problem - that's more important imho.

-[Unknown]

Peter Duggan

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 06, 2003, 06:01:32 PM
it's less painless than any other upgrade script for YaBB SE...

Are you sure that's what you meant? ???

[Unknown]

Quote from: Peter Duggan on August 12, 2003, 08:12:29 AM
Quote from: [Unknown] on August 06, 2003, 06:01:32 PM
it's less painless than any other upgrade script for YaBB SE...

Are you sure that's what you meant? ???

I always think of upgrade scripts as converters in a way.  It's a converter for YaBB SE.  *TO* SMF.

So, yes.  Except the typo where I meant it's "less painful", that is what I meant :P.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

Quote from: Tom on August 06, 2003, 03:19:56 PM
Yea, but it's remotley hosted and I can't get a hold of any of the files...  :'(

How many members/message threads do you have on the phpbb forum?
A long winded way might be to ask you host to provide a backup of the database, install phpbb on your local machine serving as localhost, convert the data to yabbse and then upload to your server host where YaBBSE is already installed ? ?

When I converted from Y1G to SE I tried this and it worked a treat.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Advertisement: