Advertisement:

Author Topic: Forum Firewall  (Read 298380 times)

Offline butchs

• SMF Hero
  • Lost 7GB bandwidth!
    • EastCoastRollingThunder
Re: Forum Firewall
« Reply #1040 on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »
To be honest,this mod is not for newbies.  I suggest using BadBehavor with CrawlProtect and some user questions.

I spent some time making tutorials throughout this thread.  I then added them to my first post.  Someone who I have a pretty good idea who decided to replace that post with the first post for the mod.  If you feel energetic you can find them...

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Offline brynn

• Inkscape Community
« Reply #1041 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:06 PM »
Thanks butchs.

I already do have Bad Behavior, which at least I understand the concept, and might even be able to set it up on my own, if I had to.  Actually have the whole security setup that was created for me originally.  (Forum Firewall, Bad Behavior, Stop Spammer)  I just need to learn how to use them all.  Because I'm guessing having moved to a new server, I might have to change some settings - ip address maybe, in some mods?

I've never heard of CrawlProtect, and don't find any mod by that name.  Oh ok, I found.  I will investigate.

When you say "some user questions", do you mean of the type "are you human?" on registration?  Yes, I have what I think are some very strong questions there.  Or do you mean I should ask user questions about security in the forum?

Do you mean the tutorials are scattered in this thread?  Or are they all over the forum?  If I find them, I'll make a list with links, so others can find them.

Maybe it would be better for me to shoot for a more broad goal for learning about forum or website security.  Do you (or anyone) know of any articles or tutorials or websites which address this general subject?  I need to start learning somehow. 

I certainly will search myself.  But not knowing the proper terminology, will limit what I can find.

I mean, there must be best practices, or something like that?  Something that compare/contrast different methods and techniques, pros and cons, and all that.  I'll search, but appreciate any tips, if anyone has any.

Thanks again   :)
Inkscape Community  (SMF with Tiny Portal)

Inkscape for Cutting Design  (originally a phpBB forum, converted to SMF, and using Simple Portal)

Offline aegersz

• Sophist Member
  • "mods" junkie
    • dopetalk
« Reply #1042 on: July 11, 2017, 06:51:01 AM »
It too me a little over a year of hard work to write this software.  Honestly, I have no idea what you did so I cannot answer your question.

wow, a whole year ? i am running it on my dev system now, on the strength of that !

I'm still relatively new to the world of web enabled software so I don't really understand many of my vulnerabilities well enough.

I will do some research into the features that this offers and that should be educational. thanks. 
Linux CentOS VPS running SMF 2.0 with 140+ mods installed (the full h/w and s/w can be seen at http://forum.drugs-and-users.org/index.php/topic,3301)

Offline butchs

• SMF Hero
  • Lost 7GB bandwidth!
« Reply #1043 on: September 24, 2017, 07:51:55 AM »
If you are upgrading SMF to v2.0.14 and currently have this mod installed you will have to uninstall this mod, then update SMF to v2.0.14 and then reinstall this mod.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Offline dynaweb

• Semi-Newbie
    • RSS Dog
« Reply #1044 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
Just an FYI that I installed this plugin yesterday and my Maldet scanner quarantined it as a trojan. 2.X latest version got it from this site :(
FSS to HTML Widget [nofollow] - Snowboarding Forums [nofollow]

Offline butchs

• SMF Hero
  • Lost 7GB bandwidth!
« Reply #1045 on: February 01, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »
Funny, so they finally caught up to FF as FF has been doing this since 2010!  So you run a program that scans for malware on a program that scans for malware and input from malware and you think this is an issue?  Of course NOT, FF uses the same search strings?  Either make FF a safe program or delete something. 

Please note that FF scans files too.  But FF stops malware when they attack not after it is on your server. 

Offline sieemma

« Reply #1046 on: April 30, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »
If I leave all the cells that ask to input codes, will FF still work?
Where they ask to input xx/yy

Offline butchs

• SMF Hero
  • Lost 7GB bandwidth!
« Reply #1047 on: June 10, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »
I do not understand.