Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

Quote from: ^SITS^ on November 05, 2011, 04:50:15 PM
Thanks.  Got it. :)

What the heck are MAGIC_QUOTES?  I get a security warning when I try to enable the mod.

ETA:  Did some research and found out a little about them.  What is the easiest way to turn them off?

Just add the following line to the .htaccess file in the root directory:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

MiY4Gi

Quote from: butchs on November 06, 2011, 07:55:48 AM

That didn't work the last time I tried it.
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

butchs

With some versions of php it can be turned off in php by adding to one of your .php files:

@set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);

Or it can be turned off in your php.ini file.  Usually done by a host.  Set:

magic_quotes_sybase = Off

Or you can live with it.  The message is just a warning.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Kindred

You can usually also set it in your php.ini file
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

^SITS^

Where will I find this file at? I have no problems making code changes or adding code if i know where the fle is.

żεχเ๏ภ

Quote from: ^SITS^ on November 06, 2011, 08:33:23 PM
Where will I find this file at? I have no problems making code changes or adding code if i know where the fle is.

Create a file named .htaccess and upload it to your home/root folder. Add the line there.

If you mean php.ini, normally you have to ask your webhost about that.

^SITS^

Quote from: żεχเ๏ภ on November 06, 2011, 10:15:08 PM

Create a file named .htaccess and upload it to your home/root folder. Add the line there.

I already have a .htaccess file.  I already tried adding the command to that file, it caused my forum to go down so I had to remove it.  If it's not that big of deal, I can live with the security warning.  It only shows on the FF screen.  I will check into getting the host to turning them off.  I would rather do it myself, but if I can't, I can't.

^SITS^

Quote from: MiY4Gi on November 06, 2011, 08:45:46 AM

My forum went down when I tried this.

żεχเ๏ภ

Quote from: ^SITS^ on November 06, 2011, 11:26:50 PM
Quote from: żεχเ๏ภ on November 06, 2011, 10:15:08 PM

I already have a .htaccess file.  I already tried adding the command to that file, it caused my forum to go down so I had to remove it.  If it's not that big of deal, I can live with the security warning.  It only shows on the FF screen.  I will check into getting the host to turning them off.  I would rather do it myself, but if I can't, I can't.

So true, its not a major concern to most people.

MiY4Gi

Quote from: ^SITS^ on November 06, 2011, 11:35:04 PM
Quote from: MiY4Gi on November 06, 2011, 08:45:46 AM

My forum went down when I tried this.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I guess it depends on your hosts php configuration, or maybe even the php version.
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

butchs

Quote from: ^SITS^ on November 06, 2011, 11:26:50 PM
I will check into getting the host to turning them off.  I would rather do it myself, but if I can't, I can't.

Some hosts get all paranoid if you tell them you have a firewall.  So I suggest you ask them if they can simply turn it off for you since it is not required by your forum software.

^SITS^

I've been logging for a few days now.  The only potential trouble is that we do have a number of people that post with cellphones.  If I were to use that .htaccess file to allow their IP, would FF still keep em off the forum?  I am inclined to think it would but thought I would ask.  I think I may just live with the warning message. 

Thanks,

butchs this is a very very good mod.  BB kicks butt too.

butchs

Thank you.

Now I am confused.  Unless there is a different htaccess file that file has nothing to do with mobile phones.

The problem with some mobile phones is that the services use poorly written proxies.  Un-selecting "Review Proxy List" in the admin panel will allow more mobile users with bad proxies and more bad people access.  That is about all you can do with the exception of turning off the ip test completely.

^SITS^

Sorry for having confused you.  I meant using the .htaccess file to Allow the ip for the people that post with mobile phones.  Would FF still keep them out of the forum if I put allow ip xxx.xx.xxx in the .htaccess file?  I want to keep as many proxies off the forum as possible so I don't want to put limitations on it.  We have a group of bad folks that don't like us that much that are proxy nuts and my aim is too keep them off the forums as much as possible. 

butchs

If the ip passes htaccess then FF will test it.

societyofrobots

I was looking through the visitors list, and saw 'illuminationsmed' in place of what should be an IP address. What's that mean?

Quote34   194.90.190.53   2011-11-30 01:29:51   GET /my_site/index.php?topic=13992 HTTP/1.1 omgilibot/0.3 +http://www.omgili.com/Crawler.html   DOS Attack!
33   illuminationsmed   2011-11-30 00:34:50   GET /%7Esor/my_site/index.php HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/0.91 Beta (Windows) http://[censored]/%7Esor/my_site/index.php   Hack: %7e!
32   79.114.109.8   2011-11-30 00:31:50   GET /my_site/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1371;type=avatar HTTP/1.1 Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; U; en) Presto/2.9.168 Version/11.52 http://www.my_site.com/my_site/index.php?topic=2986.0   Bad Cookie: Repeated!

Also, just a few recommendations to add to Visitors in the next release:
-add sort by IP address and Reason
-maybe a basic statistics capability to inform us the top Reasons to attend to

butchs

"illuminationsmed" could be a spoofed ip or a bad proxy. 

Maxtor

can you block this attack?

(return a blank page or a limiter "sorry too many requests with same link") ,

its a botnet attack eating up all resources at CPU.

butchs

The reason the mod exists is because of the bot attacks.  It has works for me and has worked for others. 

Not sure what they are doing but read the HELP's (search for the word HELP) in this thread and set up your robots.tst file, then install the mod.  Warning:  This mod is POWERFUL and not for newbies.  Test the mod for 1 day before enabling it to make sure you do not ban good members and yourself.  I would also recommend the Bad Behavior mod.

Maxtor

Quote from: butchs on December 06, 2011, 04:56:09 PM
The reason the mod exists is because of the bot attacks.  It has works for me and has worked for others. 

Not sure what they are doing but read the HELP's (search for the word HELP) in this thread and set up your robots.tst file, then install the mod.  Warning:  This mod is POWERFUL and not for newbies.  Test the mod for 1 day before enabling it to make sure you do not ban good members and yourself.  I would also recommend the Bad Behavior mod.

im not attacked by bots, but by botnet, which means legimate GET requests from different IPs. all i want to ask if its possible the script to check if many people request the same URL to null route them, or return a blank page.

Advertisement: