Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

Remember you sent me an email with a long list and spanish translations.  Speaking of which, the latter could use an update.

:laugh:
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

snoopy_virtual

One thing is to translate and other thing is to test.  ;)

BTW, you are right. That translation I sent you ages ago must be really out-o-date.

I will put it in my list.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

butchs

Quote from: Arantor on January 21, 2011, 02:48:01 AM
QuoteInteresting, sounds like that may do the trick since it should slow down the "actionArray" calls.  if that is the issue.

Let me see, a mod that queries the system every 10+ seconds for every single logged in user... yup, that might be the one.

Aeva media is another heavy "actionArray" user but I worked around it.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

I understand why but honestly there are a things that could have been done to make Aeva and others more efficient. 

Back in the day software development was simple.  You have your text editor and a list of the ROM functions.  You would have to type many lines of code just to make a window.  :D It was fast because it was the machines language and straight forward.

Then came the language compliers and further down the road packaged GUI sub-routines to make programming easier.  These new functions were all the rage.

The primary reason was to make programming easier.  Now with a single line of code you can do what may have taken several pages.   8)

Though this may not have been the intension but the result is forced obsolesce of the older computer.  As the routines became easier they became more complex.  As complexity grew more functions were drawn into the fray.   :'(

Finally the amount of subroutine calls slowed down the computer forcing an upgrade.  So the chip companies developed faster and faster processors and your new computer is just as fast as the old computer with old software but it can run the new software.   O:)

I am not going to argue that this is progress and it is good.  But there are times when some good old fashioned old school to the point stuff comes in handy.

I like fast internet connections and enjoy the luxury of high speeds but there are many out there who do not have the blazing speed you and I have.  Sometimes we need to stop and lake a look at making it faster.

The bandwidth alone was the reason I regretfully reverted back to coppermine.  Aeva is such a Wonderful mod I made sure that it was compatible with FF.

butchs

Ok, I am working on an update so if you have more suggestions speak now or wait a few weeks.   :o

butchs

Oh no I already took care of that.

butchs

Update done

Added some suggestions by Arantor & PhobosK.
Fixed Undefined variable: result & forumfirewall_data found by busterone?
Disabled mod DB setting when uninstalling.

busterone

Quick work. Thanks.  Will test it later today.  :)

EDIT- Well, you got them.  A new one has cropped up with the upgrade   :)

Undefined variable : modSettings
File: /homepages/xx/xxxxxxxxx/htdocs/forum/Sources/Subs-ForumFirewall.php
Line: 70

butchs

Oops pulled a Snoopy.   :o  See version 1.0.3.

busterone

Blade_Runner

I have the following errors after installing this mod. How can I fix it?
The first error is from Google. The other two is spam.

----------------------------------------

http://modcarclub.com/forums/index.php?action=tagged;id=2050;tag=rear
8: Undefined index: referer
File: /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/Sources/Subs-ForumFirewall.php
Line: 990

http://modcarclub.com/forums/index.php?action=register2
8: Undefined index: user
File: /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/Sources/Register.php
Line: 289

http://modcarclub.com/forums/index.php?action=register2
8: Undefined index: user
File: /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/Sources/Register.php
Line: 893

butchs

Quote from: Blade_Runner on January 23, 2011, 01:54:22 PM

It may not be google since it was on it's was to getting blocked.  This mod does not confirm the google identify.  That job is left for BB.  Still if your robots.txt and google webmasters are correctly set, with an acceptable hit rate or it was not a DOS attempt then the I can say you caught a bad bot pretending to be google.

EDIT:  There is a new mod called Optimus Brave that can assist you in getting the robots to scan at the correct rate.

The mod does not use "Register.php" so those errors have nothing to do with the mod.

Not sure about the "referer" error.  For me to look at it further I will need:
Version of the mod.
Version of SMF.
The visitor log entry for that ip at the time of the errors.

Doubt that the error will cause any harm.  The mod should work fine.

Blade_Runner

Quote from: butchs on January 23, 2011, 02:43:48 PM
Quote from: Blade_Runner on January 23, 2011, 01:54:22 PM

It may not be google since it was on it's was to getting blocked.  This mod does not confirm the google identify.  That job is left for BB.  Still if your robots.txt and google webmasters are correctly set, with an acceptable hit rate or it was an a DOS attempt then the I can say you caught a bad bot pretending to be google.

The mod does not use "Register.php" so those errors have nothing to do with the mod.

Not sure about the "referer" error.  For me to look at it further I will need:
Version of the mod.
Version of SMF.
The visitor log entry for that ip at the time of the errors.

Doubt that the error will cause any harm.  The mod should work fine.

Using version 1.0.3 on SMF 2.0RC4

Time of error. - Today at 02:11:12 AM
File: /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/Sources/Subs-ForumFirewall.php

------------------------------------------
Time of error. - Today at 02:11:11 AM

butchs

You showed me the error log already.  I wanted to see the visitor log for that time.

Admin/ Forum Firewall Admin/ VISITORS

EDIT:  I think I found a fix.  This one is minor.  Will save for the next revision.  Lets see if there are any more.

Blade_Runner

This looks bad. Has my forum been hacked?

-----------------------------------------
3       2011-01-23 12:11:12    /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/Smileys//classic/poisonbymcc1.gif contains the following exploit: xml    FORUM INFECTED with XSS!
1       2011-01-23 12:11:11    /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/avatars//comic book/armory av.gif contains the following exploit: xss    FORUM INFECTED with XSS!
2       2011-01-23 12:11:11    /home/xxx/public_html/modcarclub.com/forums/Smileys//default/poisonbymcc1.gif contains the following exploit: xml    FORUM INFECTED with XSS!

butchs

Not a big deal.  The program includes a weekly scan of the default SMF image file folders on your site.  If it finds something suspicious then it will report it in the log.  If you are unsure, I suggest that you log into cpanel and delete the files.

If they are bad the only time they can cause an issue is if the were it was done correctly and you loaded them in your browser.  So do not worry and delete them.
8)

Yea yea...  I went nuts with this program.  By the way you can run  it in your scheduled tasks panel or simply turn it off there:
Admin/Scheduled Tasks/Auto scans the avatar, smilies and default image files for xss infections.

O:)

ZerK

i just activated it and i got a lot of warnings  but the user agent is googlebot, twitterbot etc.

there is anything wrong ?

butchs

No. Just a bunch of bad bots.   Just set up your robots.txt and google as mentioned in reply 102.

Joazo

I have error 403. no can acess my forum x.x . what to do?

butchs

Sorry to hear that.  Something like this can be avoided, if you run the mod for a few days before blocking bad visitors.

All settings can be edited in the SMF_"settings" file in phpmyadmin.  Find "forumfirewall_enable" and change it from 1 to 0, refresh the browser and re-enter the admin panel and fix the settings in the mod.

Advertisement: