News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

Go to Admin, then to maintenance, then to forum maintenance, then to members. :) At eh bottom you can prune the members.

KTT Robot

So I installed this mod yesterday and uhh.....

http://cl.ly/263y1c0n222S2z3Z3F1T

All in my server's ROOT directory... WTF? There's 6000 of them.

Uninstalling this mod immediately

busterone

That did not come from this mod. It looks as though they were already there, and you just noticed them.

KTT Robot

Quote from: busterone on March 23, 2011, 08:41:58 AM
That did not come from this mod. It looks as though they were already there, and you just noticed them.
Are you serious? Why do you so blatantly disregard any issues at all with this mod? I view the root directory of my server all of the time... in addition to this, they were called "ffirewall" and their creation date was after I installed the mod.

Jeez

KTT Robot

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 09:13:05 AM
The files are created by the mod. Normally they'd be in the cache directory, which is why you wouldn't notice them, and they're there to actually reduce load on your system with the mod running.

The reason they don't show in your cache folder and instead in your root folder is because you don't have the cache set up correctly.
Where would I change the cache settings? SMF admin panel?

The cache dir in SMF is set as mysite.com/forum/cache [nofollow]

KTT Robot

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 09:24:41 AM
Looks like a URL not a physical path to me..
It's set to the absolute path of my forum's cache dir, I just wasn't going to put the actual path, sorry for the confusion. I think the problem is with the mod. In the mod's code I found where cache files are saved:

$fh = @fopen($ffcachedir . '/data_' . $key . '.php', 'w');

I don't see $ffcachedir set anywhere.

butchs

Quote from: KTT Robot on March 23, 2011, 03:48:40 AM
Quote from: KTT Robot on March 23, 2011, 09:11:08 AM
Are you serious? Why do you so blatantly disregard any issues at all with this mod? I view the root directory of my server all of the time... in addition to this, they were called "ffirewall" and their creation date was after I installed the mod.

Because the mod works.  People like to blame others for human error.

The string you see in your directory is not from the mod.   FF cache files are shorter.

The strings you have look more like SMF default cache files.

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 08:46:00 AM
More likely they were supposed to be in the cache directory and the cache directory is misconfigured.

The cache directory the mod uses is called "ffcache" and is installed in the SMF root directory with the mod.  Both cache directories (SMF & FF) are defined in "index.php".  They operate similarly.

Sorry KTT Robot but i do not think it is the mod.  It looks like you have another issue or your host has been compromised.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

I edited the post just before you replied.  I mix up my mods...  Good grief do you live here?

index.php for SMF 2.x says:
// Make absolutely sure the cache directory is defined.
if ((empty($cachedir) || !file_exists($cachedir)) && file_exists($boarddir . '/cache'))
$cachedir = $boarddir . '/cache';
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

butchs

I thought the link was an example.  Glad you have the time to figure that riddle.

The mod did not fully install or botched manual installation would cause that.  Unzip a copy of the mod and try copying the "ffcache" directory and its contents from the unzipped file.  Make sure the permissions are the same as the SMF cache directory.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 06:29:49 PM
And the SMF cache directory is defined in Settings.php not index.php ;)

That's with the normal SMF cache system.

For a reason unknown to me this mod uses its own cache system, totally different from the normal SMF one.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

butchs

Naw, they get purged every day (for security reasons).  That is, when the mod is installed correctly.

SMF on the other hand does not purge cache.

The mod only uses anti-spoofing disk cache.  The other cache methods are not as reliable.  This is a security mod after-all...

KTT Robot

Quote from: butchs on March 23, 2011, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: KTT Robot on March 23, 2011, 03:48:40 AM
Quote from: KTT Robot on March 23, 2011, 09:11:08 AM

Because the mod works.  People like to blame others for human error.

The string you see in your directory is not from the mod.   FF cache files are shorter.

The strings you have look more like SMF default cache files.

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 08:46:00 AM
More likely they were supposed to be in the cache directory and the cache directory is misconfigured.

The cache directory the mod uses is called "ffcache" and is installed in the SMF root directory with the mod.  Both cache directories (SMF & FF) are defined in "index.php".  They operate similarly.

Sorry KTT Robot but i do not think it is the mod.  It looks like you have another issue or your host has been compromised.
So what you're trying to tell me is that files such as /data_ffirewall-d0d2663e.php were not created by your mod, even though your mod contains this line code:

$fh = @fopen($ffcachedir . '/data_' . $key . '.php', 'w');

and also this one:

forumfirewall_cache_put_data('ffirewall-' . substr(hash($forumfirewall_algo,serialize($forumfirewall_ip.$modSettings['forumfirewall_salt'].$stamp)), -8), $cache_content, $forumfirewall_expire);

And even though the files did not exist before I installed the mod, started being created after I installed the mod, stopped being created after I uninstalled the mod, and contain the name of your mod in their filenames... you still insist that your mod had nothing to do with it?

I think you are delusional.

Anyway, I've completely removed the mod and I'm having no further issues.

butchs

This mod is not for newbies like you.

If you were capable of explaining what your issue was I would have been able to reply with an answer sooner.  Read post #338 and the one you commented on.  I gave you the solution to your issues and all you do is complain.

I spend much of my free time trying to support ungrateful nasty people like you.  This has proved to be an utter waste of my time.  Henceforth any cryptic newbie support requests like yours will be ignored.

butchs

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 08:10:45 PM
Hmm, it was changed after August last year, I know that much, and the way clean_cache() was written also changed sometime after that date but I can't tell you exactly what changed without going through the SVN logs which I really can't be bothered to do right now - but it IS different.

Why do you post so much in this support thread when you do not use the mod, SMF or know much about it?  All you are doing is confusing those who actually want support.

butchs

Could be but....  honorable intentions or not...  All you did was confuse "KTT Robot" so much he/ she could not find the support reply to his/ her issue once it was discovered.

butchs

And you did then you went off on a tangent.  When the person came looking for support returned they did not see it buried in the mess... you call helpful.

Just what I thought you were the one who tried to block my mod release.  That explains why you have been doing what you do.

butchs

Ok, I believe you.  I had to see if it was you.  3 friggin months!!  Apologies.

No ones perfect, it took me how many posts before you had to point out the picture.  Still, next time can we take our extra discussions elsewhere.  I do not mind talking about the faults of SMF caching and my other limited knowledge areas.  Just that this is the wrong spot.

Off topic rants are the reason the official support boards are at SMFHelper.

butchs

Quote from: KTT Robot on March 24, 2011, 12:39:55 PM
And even though the files did not exist before I installed the mod, started being created after I installed the mod, stopped being created after I uninstalled the mod, and contain the name of your mod in their filenames... you still insist that your mod had nothing to do with it?

I reviewed the code and could not duplicate the claim.  I can only assume that you incorrectly defined the $ffcachedir in the index.php file as per the mod script, server has safe mode restrictions or your server blocked the creation of the folder.  My initial assumption looks to be correct this seems to be a installation error to me.

The next version of the mod will have a "sanity check" that will throw an error if the cache folder does not exist.  This is low on my priorities since this check is not included in SMF cache code so the release will wait for something more substantial.

butchs

SMF does not send a warning in cache_get_data() or cache_put_data(), I know because I used the latest code as the starting point.  If it is elsewhere, that extra trivia pursuit info is no longer of interest.

This mod uses its own cache in both SMF 1.1 and 2.x so your second point adds confusion.  You tun off cache in this mod by setting "Cache Duration" to zero in the mods admin page.

Advertisement: