News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiY4Gi

I don't think you can simply replace database entries. However, this doesn't make sense. If your install_db.php file couldn't be opened, then how did the firewall database entries get added to your database? Well, if the entries are there, then I reckon the mod should work. 

Have you checked your forum to see if the mod is working?

Also, who's hosting your website? Who runs your server?

Quote from: Valitkonis on August 08, 2011, 11:50:23 AM
When i trying to click on Finish Installation in screen i see fatal error:

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/name/domains/fgf.lt/public_html/Packages/temp/./install_db.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/valitkoni6/domains/lgyvenimas.lt/public_html/Sources/Packages.php on line 951

I think the culprit was that period/folder in /public_html/Packages/temp/./install_db.php

Can anyone confirm whether that period/folder is supposed to be there? Doesn't install_db.php launch from temp/ and not temp/./?
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

Valitkonis

my hoster is: ipp.lt [nofollow] and hostex.lt [nofollow]

MiY4Gi

Quote from: Valitkonis on August 09, 2011, 03:21:35 PM
my hoster is: ipp.lt and hostex.lt

Shared hosting?

Tell me, does your forum say that Forum Firewall is installed? Or is your forum exactly the same as it was before you installed the mod? Check to see if Forum Firewall is under Admin > Configuration.
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

Valitkonis

no i dont see there firewall, i just need install it but dont know how.. because i say in earler post what error i getting when installing it

butchs

Quote from: Valitkonis on August 09, 2011, 01:33:03 PM
when i writing : yoursite.com/install_db.php i see this:
Data Base error
Table 'smf_log_forumfirewall' already exists
File: /home/name/domains/lgyvenimas.lt/public_html/install_db.php
Line: 223
Back

Sounds like the db is there already.  Try installing everything without running install_db.php.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

Quote from: MiY4Gi on August 09, 2011, 09:27:20 AM
What's better for stopping bots? Should my cache duration be higher or lower? Should my trigger be higher or lower? What are the upper and lower limits of the cache duration and trigger?

Can't I set my cache duration to 5min? Or is that a bad idea? Some of my bot spoofers only get blocked once every 2-5 mins, but never get banned since they never reach the trigger. Or does Robot.txt Validation ban spoofers instantly?

ADJUSTING DOS PROTECTION HELP

The cache feature was designed to reduce the amount of checks the mod makes when testing a user for large forums.  This feature can make your site faster because it will send the bots packing before SMF fully loads (ie page images/ icons).  For example, if a bad guy hits your site FF will test it the first time.  If the bad guy is blocked the mod will forgo testing and block the bad guy the remaining duration of the cache set point.  The same is true if a regular member comes to the forum.  The member will not be tested again the duration of the cache set point.

If you have cpanel or some other way of tracking the latest visitors, you can look at visitor ip records.   Typically you like to set this to half the average duration of a bad bot visits.  In most cases 20 to 30 seconds.  As a minimum you will like to test a bot two times a visit.  Some people prefer three to four times.  Do not go less than 20 seconds.

The Trigger is the number Number of violations per cache period before the visitor is blocked.  If you take the cache duration and multiply it by the trigger that will give you the total hits over the cache duration. Lowering it will cause it to be more restrictive.  Raising the attack trigger will make it less restrictive.

Looking at your  latest visitors in cpanel will assist you in determining the trigger.  It is recommended to compare your setting with the default settings ie 13 hits for every 20 seconds.  To make sure you do not go too low.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Valitkonis

I have a same problem there and still cant install Firewall, because after i tryng install i gettin Fatall error...Maybe someone know how to install or someone can do it on Teamweaver?

Alex' Manson

Quote from: Valitkonis on August 10, 2011, 07:40:59 AM
I have a same problem there and still cant install Firewall, because after i tryng install i gettin Fatall error...Maybe someone know how to install or someone can do it on Teamweaver?
he already replied, simply do the manual edits again (if you find some edits are already done, skip them) and if you see duplicate edits, remove one.

MiY4Gi

Quote from: butchs on August 09, 2011, 07:02:55 PM
ADJUSTING DOS PROTECTION

The cache feature was designed to reduce the amount of checks the mod makes when testing a user for large forums.  This feature can make your site faster because it will send the bots packing before SMF fully loads (ie page images/ icons).  For example, if a bad guy hits your site FF will test it the first time.  If the bad guy is blocked the mod will forgo testing and block the bad guy the remaining duration of the cache set point.  The same is true if a regular member comes to the forum.  The member will not be tested again the duration of the cache set point.

If you have cpanel or some other way of tracking the latest visitors, you can look at visitor ip records.   Typically you like to set this to half the average duration of a bad bot visits.  In most cases 20 to 30 seconds.  As a minimum you will like to test a bot two times a visit.  Some people prefer three to four times.  Do not go less than 20 seconds.

The Trigger is the number Number of violations per cache period before the visitor is blocked.  If you take the cache duration and multiply it by the trigger that will give you the total hits over the cache duration. Lowering it will cause it to be more restrictive.  Raising the attack trigger will make it less restrictive.

Looking at your  latest visitors in cpanel will assist you in determining the trigger.  It is recommended to compare your setting with the default settings ie 13 hits for every 20 seconds.  To make sure you do not go too low.

When you say hits, are you referring to violations or normal browsing? What settings block bots for browsing too quickly? Also, how do I automatically ban bots/IP's that are blocked more than once?

Valitkonis

Quote from: Sisko Punk on August 10, 2011, 07:53:44 AM
Quote from: Valitkonis on August 10, 2011, 07:40:59 AM
he already replied, simply do the manual edits again (if you find some edits are already done, skip them) and if you see duplicate edits, remove one.

what exactly edits i need to to?

MiY4Gi

Quote from: Valitkonis on August 10, 2011, 09:17:26 AM
what exactly edits i need to to?

Check the folder at /public_html/Packages/ and tell me if you see a temp folder.

This might work:

Unzip the Forum Firewall package, delete install_db.php and uninstall_db.php, then zip the file again. Now, try to install using this new package.

Valitkonis

Yes i got temp folder but he are empty.

i do all what you say and i have same thing i getting "Fatall error"

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/name/domains/lgyvenimas.lt/public_html/Packages/temp/ForumFirewall 1.1.3/install_db.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/name/domains/lgyvenimas.lt/public_html/Sources/Packages.php on line 951

MiY4Gi

Mm, it seems that install_db.php is a required file for any mod installation.

Extract uninstall_db.php from the original Forum Firewall package, then run it, just like you did with install_db.php. That should remove all firewall entries from your database.

Delete that temp folder in /Packages.

Now, try to install the original firewall package again.

What other mods have you installed on your forum?

Alex' Manson

i found a solution.

keep the package as it is.
create a temp folder in the "Packages" directory and chmod it to 777.
click install.. now it will show you the tests, if everything is okay, go to "packages" again, delete temp, re make another one, chmod to 777 and press install now (the second one) and it should work
it's a server issue. ;)

Valitkonis

Sisko thank you very much finally i finished installing it TY!!

butchs

Thanks for the help!   :)

Quote from: MiY4Gi on August 10, 2011, 08:33:26 AM
When you say hits, are you referring to violations or normal browsing? What settings block bots for browsing too quickly? Also, how do I automatically ban bots/IP's that are blocked more than once?

hits = normal browsing from a bot
settings  block bots for browsing too quickly = DOS PROTECTION = DOS Attack + Trigger + Longterm Ban + cache.
how do I automatically ban bots/IP's that are blocked more than once = short term - cache = longterm - manually via SMF.

MiY4Gi

Alright, I assume hits the total number of pages loaded, and not the total number of files downloaded (i.e. HTTP server requests) per page.

Mm, I got my trigger set to 0.4, and cache set to 99, so does this mean that users who browse 39 pages in 99s (i.e. 0.4*99 = 39.6) will get a longterm ban (or just blocked)?

How low can I set the trigger? Can I set it to 0.2 because 39 pages in 99s is very high. No human will browse more than 20 pages in a 1.5min, even if they open multiple tabs.

MiY4Gi

Yaaaaay! I blocked my first DOS attack. The IP was Keep Alive, and they were attacking my Profile and Register URL's.

I wonder what they were hoping to do.

butchs

Other things can cause a url.  I thing your trigger is too low.  Longterm Ban should be really now or never at that setting.

Advertisement: