News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

Not sure since I do not know your settings.  You could be blocking good guys...  However, I created that feature because Bots were pretending to be google were hitting my site hard.  This mod stopped them.  If you search back some you will see that I recommend that you get a google webmasters account so you can adjust their settings and use the robots feature.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Texan78

I have a google webmasters account set up. What is strange is when I visit those links they are valid links. I have attached a screenshot of my settings.

butchs

Robots text validation is incorrectly set up.  Read this.

If you have a robots text file it was not read by the mod during installation.  If you do not have one you should make one.  A correctly installed robots file will have the robots actions field populated.  You need to set the crawl delay at google and in your robots text file to prevent blocking the wrong bot.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Texan78

Thanks, I am trying to make some sense of this. I did and do have a robots.txt file in place. I added the additions suggested in the link you posted. What I am not sure of is how to set the crawl delay but not affect Google and what's a good crawl rate? Also where exactly in webmaster tools is this set? I couldn't find it. I have attached my robots.txt file. Does it look right?

-Thanks

butchs

You uploaded two files...  Please delete the robots,txt you are not using...  Check out this link...
8)

PS:   Change your salt.  Everyone knows it now...

Texan78

That is the same robots.txt file just two different screen shots. One of the top and one of the bottom so you can see they whole thing.

Here is the issue I am confused about. I use the SMF SEO Pro Mod which enables pretty action URLs. So that is why the links are like that at the top. If I remove those will that not mess up my SEO for bots crawling those links?

butchs

I went to your website and I still see "http://www.weather-connection.com/index.php?action=search" so you should get rid of that extra stuff.  If you do not have all your action urls then I would not use this feature.

Your "Robots.txt action's" should be like:
action=activate|action=admin|action=arcade|action=calendar|action=collapse|action=deletemsg|action=editpoll|action=help|action=helpadmin|action=lock|action=login|action=logout|action=markasread|action=mergetopics|action=mlist|action=modifykarma|action=movetopic|action=notify|action=notifyboard|action=pm|action=post|action=profile|action=register|action=removetopic2|action=reporttm|action=search|action=sendtopic|action=splittopics|action=stats|action=sticky|action=trackip|action=unread|action=unreadreplies|action=who

Your crawl delay is 10.  The google crawl delay at googlewebmasters should be set too...  I would make your "Trigger (#/sec) " .7.

Texan78

Quote from: butchs on May 29, 2012, 09:09:38 AM
I went to your website and I still see "http://www.weather-connection.com/index.php?action=search" so you should get rid of that extra stuff.  If you do not have all your action urls then I would not use this feature.

Yes, currently I have that function disabled because I have two menu items that are not working correctly. Once I am able to get that issue resolved I will be enabling that function. I am thinking though if it is to much trouble just not enabling those action URLs back.

Your "Robots.txt action's" should be like:
action=activate|action=admin|action=arcade|action=calendar|action=collapse|action=deletemsg|action=editpoll|action=help|action=helpadmin|action=lock|action=login|action=logout|action=markasread|action=mergetopics|action=mlist|action=modifykarma|action=movetopic|action=notify|action=notifyboard|action=pm|action=post|action=profile|action=register|action=removetopic2|action=reporttm|action=search|action=sendtopic|action=splittopics|action=stats|action=sticky|action=trackip|action=unread|action=unreadreplies|action=who

So when I put this in the robots.txt file will it auto populate in the text box in the admin control panel for the FF or will I need to manually enter it in there too?

Your crawl delay is 10.  The google crawl delay at googlewebmasters should be set too...  I would make your "Trigger (#/sec) " .7.

I can't find in the google webmaster tools where to set this crawl rate. Where do I find this option when I am in the webmaster tools?

-Thanks

butchs

Quote from: Texan78 on May 29, 2012, 03:23:42 PM
So when I put this in the robots.txt file will it auto populate in the text box in the admin control panel for the FF or will I need to manually enter it in there too?

That information goes in the mods admin panel.  If you uninstall and reinstall the mod it should automatically populate.  Otherwise you have to manually enter it.

Quote from: Texan78 on May 29, 2012, 03:23:42 PM
I can't find in the google webmaster tools where to set this crawl rate. Where do I find this option when I am in the webmaster tools?

As per.  To change the crawl rate:

1. On the Webmaster Tools Home page, click the site you want.
   2. Under Configuration, click Settings.
   3. In the Crawl rate section, select the option you want.

The new crawl rate will be valid for 90 days.
8)

BubblePig

I am one of the admins of an SMF site, even though my skills are almost nonexistent.
A member asked this question a while back:
QuoteWhy does the text on the bottom of the page

"Protected by: Forum Firewall © 2010-2011"

link to [eastcoastrollingthunder] ?

IIRC, when I first looked into it in late April of this year, the link on this site redirected there as well, but I may be mistaken. In any event, that link is the 5th entry when I google "forum firewall" . Also, the links "BH MOD © 2011" and "butchs" on the main page of that site recursively redirect to back the main page of that site.

I don't suppose anyone knows why that might be?

butchs

My site and your permission to use software that I spent many months developing for free.

BubblePig

Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure it was your site and not somebody else who was hijacking it.

PS Thanx for the mod.

butchs

Hijacking my site is not a good idea as it will incise me to even more devious programming...
;)

phyo

Quote from: Texan78 on May 25, 2012, 06:58:21 PM
I am getting email alerts which I set up so I can test and monitor this before actually setting it to ban. I am getting DOS Attack notifications from links that are valid links, or does that mean those are the links they are attempting the hack?

Me too i got error like that and now all my normal user are can't go to some post and other user profile.when they go firewall is block for them.only admin can go and see those permission. normally i has giving all those kind of permission to user but they can't accept it.

butchs

You are not using the mod correctly.  You need to whitelist you regular members.  Go to "admin/ Members/  permissions / General Permissions - "Regular Members"/ Forum Firewall Whitelist Group" and make your members EXEMPT.

If you are getting hits due to the crawl rate then by all means read my reply to the person you quoted.  I am not going to repeat such a recent post.

Security is only as good as the one who implements it...

Search and read the HELP's I posted in this thread and within the mod.

You need to run the mod for a few days with logging enabled before enabling blocking to work out the issues particular to your forum.
8)

crazyearner

big problem i got on my site. Today i got access to my itnenret once again and everything running good

However access to site is forbidden

You don't have permission to access

/admin/?area=permissions on this server.

Your computer may be infected with a virus or a trojan. The Firewall has determined that you: Invalid ip!

If you get this message in error, please contact the ADM1N and provide the date and time of this message.

Some help needed to restore access

phyo

Quote from: butchs on July 17, 2012, 08:05:24 PM
You are not using the mod correctly.  You need to whitelist you regular members.  Go to "admin/ Members/  permissions / General Permissions - "Regular Members"/ Forum Firewall Whitelist Group" and make your members EXEMPT.

If you are getting hits due to the crawl rate then by all means read my reply to the person you quoted.  I am not going to repeat such a recent post.

Security is only as good as the one who implements it...

Search and read the HELP's I posted in this thread and within the mod.

You need to run the mod for a few days with logging enabled before enabling blocking to work out the issues particular to your forum.
8)

No I used all correctly all permission all click correctly.i giving whitelist to all user expect guest.but still having issued with forum firewall has block the ip ------- .

butchs

I have no idea what you are talking about.  If you have an issue be specific.  Copy your error log entry and poste it here.

As I said before you are not using the mod correctly.  You need to turn off blocking until you work out the kinks.  Look at your log and adjust the settings.

RickDen

I installed the firewall mod and now I cannot run maintenance tasks.  The error I receive is

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare scheduled_forumfirewall() (previously declared in /home/content/n/o/s/nosf99/html/can-garden/forum/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php:1646) in /home/content/n/o/s/nosf99/html/can-garden/forum/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php on line 1722

OK, what do I need to do?
HELP!

butchs

What version SMF do you have?  Manual or custom install?  Are you using a custom theme?

Advertisement: