News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

I do not use cols.  Please attach your "Help.english.php" file to a message.

$txt['forumfirewall_admin_desc'] can be found in "ForumFirewall-Admin.php" to display the settings.

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

lc62003

Quote from: butchs on August 25, 2014, 08:29:24 PM
I do not use cols.  Please attach your "Help.english.php" file to a message.

$txt['forumfirewall_admin_desc'] can be found in "ForumFirewall-Admin.php" to display the settings.

The file is below of course.   ;D

Sorry, I asked the question the wrong way.  Where would that text be found while browsing through the ACP?  I can go to FF settings, Visitors, etc but never see that text unless I'm completely missing it.   :P

Are there any known mod collisions?  Sure this one doesn't use cols but uninstalling FF makes the error go away.  Reinstalling makes it return. 

If it helps the sites are all 2.0.8.  Here is a list of mods for one site:

1.    Forum Firewall    2.0.0    
2.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin    4.1.0
3.    Resize Attached Images    2.4.1    

butchs

No such thing as mod collisions.

You understand that it takes time for your forum cache to reset by its self when you install a mod?  My site takes a day if I do not reset all cache.

"cols" is not in the help file you provided.  It is obvious you do n ot know how to locate errors.

Why are you you accusing my code of including an string/ variable that I told you I do not use?  I pride myself in debugging my code.  I stress test every function and debugged FF 2.0 as a whole for over six months.

I do not have the time to mess with other peoples mods.

Do a search for cols here you find link and others.

I suggest you get some support from SMF on how to properly locate the errors and search for answers.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

lc62003

Quote from: butchs on August 26, 2014, 06:02:06 PM
No such thing as mod collisions.

So you're saying mods never, ever, interfere with one another?  It would be easy enough to post references to plenty of examples.  Excuse me if you don't like the term "collision". 

You understand that it takes time for your forum cache to reset by its self when you install a mod?  My site takes a day if I do not reset all cache.

Yes, and since last Friday > the day you refer.

"cols" is not in the help file you provided.  It is obvious you do n ot know how to locate errors.

Well, I'm no coder, that's why I installed your mod.  I've been successful at locating and repairing errors before, but since the same errors all magically appear on three different sites, all with different mods, it would seem logical to ask you about it.

Why are you you accusing my code of including an string/ variable that I told you I do not use?  I pride myself in debugging my code.  I stress test every function and debugged FF 2.0 as a whole for over six months.

There are no accusations there.  I simply asked where I should expect to see that text when using the mod.  It was an attempt on my part to troubleshoot.  See above.

I do not have the time to mess with other peoples mods.

No one asked you to do that.  I simply asked where to see that text.

Do a search for cols here you find link and others.

I suggest you get some support from SMF on how to properly locate the errors and search for answers.

So you don't want to help?  I already know how to get rid of the errors....uninstall this mod.  That isn't what I wish to do.  I would just like to get some help without basically being called a dumbass.   ;)

lc62003

Maybe a pic will help.  Should there be text in the vicinity of the red arrow?

Arantor

If you're going to get rowdy with users, butchs, you would do well to listen to your own advice. The error given indicated eval? which means the actual location etc cannot be trusted.

However, the error is related to your mod. You are using the show_settings template with a large_text entry, which does use the cols item...

The lack of text up top would appear to be an extra bug.

butchs

Arantro, sorry but once again you are incorrect!  That box is intentionally blank when there are no errors.  See previous posts in this thread.  That area is reserved for when the mod detects a security issue with the host.  The mod has done this for many years with no errors.  If by a remote chance it has something to do with a call to a SMF function/ template, I can not support it as it is a SMF issue.  There is a limit to my madness, how much SMF code do I have to re-write before a mod is perfect?  Honestly I tried to help but... No more... Thanks to you, it is too much hassle for me so I will not fix any more SMF core code.

lc62003 whatever...  I refuse to waste my time giving free support to someone who wants to give me a hard time.  No free support for you for a week.

Next time try to be more courteous when asking for FREE support.

Arantor

How am I incorrect? That box being empty was implied by lc62003 as a bug; it's inconsistent with how SMF does things, and to any observer it WOULD look like a bug to have an empty box up there.

I will do the debugging you are apparently incapable of. So, let's look at the error message - show_settings template, line 910. This is in Admin.template.php. And you're using show_settings, quite clearly. I would wonder why you are trying to 'fix core code' when the core code works just fine when called properly. I've never had any trouble with show_settings before.

Bonus error:
http://localhost/smf208/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=ForumFirewall_2.0.1.zip;pid=0
8: Undefined variable: port
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: C:/wamp/www/smf209/Packages/temp/ForumFirewall 2.0.1/install_db.php
Line: 621

Bigguy

I think this should stop now before this gets outta hand. The box that is being referred to works just fine. I have had this mod installed and uninstalled more times probably than anyone. When you have a server error and that box lights up you know what it's for. Maybe it should be labelled but other than that it does it's job.

lc62003

Ok.  You're telling me precisely how to fix it then.  Uninstall x3.  It would be best if my sites do not link to yours nor should you get free Google hits from me either.  I was only asking simple questions.   I sincerely hope you find peace with whatever ails you. 

butchs

Arantor or ?, I have thousands of hours of my personal time into this mod.  How many times do I have to tell you that you do not have permission to edit my mod?

No support for you too for six days.  Now why not both of you get together and please come up with something I can repeat on my test server with the latest SMF 2.0.x, no mods installed using default theme.  I will look at it after your "cool down" period is over.

The purpose of the link is to send bad bots to me so I can edit the mod to protect users of my mod against the latest threats.  There was a time a few months ago where I was blocking well over 7,500 bots a week.

See yall in 6 days.  Have a happy holiday.  :)

Kindred

butchs...

Arantor did not edit your mod.  He pointed out a section of coding which appears to generate an error.

Now, whether it is completely due to this mod or an interaction with another mod is still unclear...   but the fact is - your mod could indeed be generating the undefined index when it calls the settings function, even within itself.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

Quote from: Kindred on August 27, 2014, 06:01:09 PM
Now, whether it is completely due to this mod or an interaction with another mod is still unclear...   but the fact is - your mod could indeed be generating the undefined index when it calls the settings function, even within itself.

install_db.php is simply trying to configure the settings automatically in an effort to reduce user error during the first installation only.  It if fails, you may or may not get an error but the mod will still install.  There it could not find the server port so the data may not be loaded in the mod settings.  I recommend that all users review their setting and test the mod for two weeks before blocking is enabled.

What I did with my text box is grandfathered in and I have no intention of editing it for a error I can not repeat.

**  DELETED CONTENT **

Steve

Isn't there anyone who can put a stop to this nonsense?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

yup....

children - please stop.

Butchs - there is an issue.  without specific debugging, we don't know if it is your mod alone or your mod in combination with something else...

lc62003 - enough. You've had your say and uninstalled the mod. leave it at that, please.

Arantor has already maturely backed off

- so let's all move on.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

I am the subject mater expert here.  I am the one who has spent countless hours writing software that protects its users.  My work has proven its self over the years by blocking millions of attacks.

As you know I do not make changes to my code without through testing.  I research and study the enemy.  I will not make a change unless I find a good reason.  I tested my last release many months before I made it official.  Version 1.0 took over 9 months to develop and test.  Seven months for version 2.0.

Just because someone gets an error in SMFs log the world will not end.  It does not mean your site will go down.  The mod will continue to do its job.  A SMF error can be caused by many things.  It can be a prelude to a hack attempt.  It can be a SMF bug.  It can be an outside source.  It could be your host.  Good grief...

I have seen bots hit code in certain code segments just to generate errors.  In some cases elimination of the error was to stop the bot, not to edit the code...  I have prevented many probing attempts over the years.  Results are the unique methods I created that are only available with my copyrighted software to protect your forum!

I am in a no win situation with many enemies.  There are many who want to bash my program with the hopes that it will not be used.  Get rid of the competition.  Self promote.  Destroy all those who oppose.  Tarnish a reputation.  Take over a site.   If it was me, I would find a way to create an error with the hope that the forum admin stops using the software just to gain access!!!

I can't read minds, do not throw rocks , I am way to busy, I can only help those who want to work as a team.

bud01100

Running SMF 2.0.8 with Forum Firewall 2.0

I want to uninstall FF 2.0 to upgrade, but it doesn't give me an uninstall option in the package area; only an Upgrade option  List  and Delete.

When I click upgrade it says to uninstall it first.

Need help.

Thank you

butchs

Yea, you have to uninstall first. 

Sounds like a package manager issue.  My guess is that the zip file was accidentally deleted from the SMF/Packages folder?

bud01100

Quote from: butchs on October 05, 2014, 08:38:58 AM
Yea, you have to uninstall first. 

Sounds like a package manager issue.  My guess is that the zip file was accidentally deleted from the SMF/Packages folder?

This is in the Packages Directory:

ForumFirewall_2.0.0.zip

butchs

You can try clicking the advanced tab in the lower right corner of package manager and adjust
Emulate Version.

Advertisement: