News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Permissions Question

Started by Uhura!, January 18, 2011, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhura!

I am creating an area of the forum (a board called "A Man's Point of View") where women can post questions to men. Since the forum is women only, I created a member group called "Male."

The folks in the "Male" member group should only have access to post in the board "A Man's Point of View."

Here's the problem: I have post count based groups which give the women increasing access to private boards as their post counts rise ...so as the males post, they also seem to be members of the post count based groups and they are getting access to post in all areas of the forum as well - not just the board I intend.

How do I stop that? I want to keep the "Male" group posting in that one area of the forum only considering the post count based groups. Is there a way to separate / exclude the "Male" group from the post count based groups?

www.OurMomSpot.net
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Spoogs

Deny Permissions
Admin>>Members>>Permissions>>Settings

Illori

i have not seen the ability to deny access to a board, spoogs can you verify that please?

JBlaze

In theory, if you use absolute deny/allow permissions, then if a member is part of one membergroup that disallows access to a given board, and also part of another group that allows access, the deny permission will take hold over the allow.

Now, I don't know if that actually works (haven't tested it), but it should.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Spoogs

Edit... what he said ;D ^^
(I do use it on 1 board and it works just fine AFAIK)

I would recommend the View?enter board permission mod (would require redoing all board permissions tho) if board access is the issue.

Road Rash Jr.

The easiest way is to go to
Admin>Members>Membersgroup click on modify for the group Male
You will see 'Visible Boards' select the ones this group can see and save.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

JBlaze

Quote from: Road Rash on January 18, 2011, 02:33:13 PM
The easiest way is to go to
Admin>Members>Membersgroup click on modify for the group Male
You will see 'Visible Boards' select the ones this group can see and save.
That won't work if the post count groups are giving access to those boards. That's the problem.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Road Rash Jr.

True so take that group out of 'Post Group' and put them in 'Regular Member' group
If she is going to restrict their access it doesn't really matter if they have 'Post Count' or not.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Spoogs

If post count permissions are in use, you cant opt a user out of the permissions for those without actually denying permissions

Road Rash Jr.

You have 2 groups 1) Regular Groups 2) Post Count Based Groups
Regular Groups are not affected by Post Counts so if she placed 'Male' in the Regular she can set what they can or cannot see.

Uhura!

RR,

That seems completely logical - but it isn't working.

A quick look @ their permissions shows that access is being granted on the basis of "Male" and on the basis of the post count group.
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Spoogs

Regular group - doesnt not have the permission to start new topic
Post count group - has permission to start new topic

Guess what happens ;) user can start new topic if they are in that post group

Regular - denied permission to start new topic
Post count group has permission to start new topic

Guess what happens ;D user cannot start new topic because that permission is denied no matter what other group the user may fall into

Road Rash Jr.

LOL I just tried to register on your forum and got this error

The user Road Rash with Email [email protected] (IP 208.98.219.197) is a Spam, please contact forum administrator.   Cute :laugh:

Road Rash Jr.

@ Spoogs

So go to permissions and give Regular Group permission to start new topic

Spoogs

Ahhhhh but thats not what she wants... her regular group would be "Male" getting access to things she doesnt want them to get access to via the post count groups... so the denied permissions need to be applied to the "Male"  group ;)

Uhura!

Good grief RR.

I think I may have an overzealous spam trap. I'll address that asap. Thanks for letting me know.

Uhura!

Is the answer in not using "Default" for the board permissions?

Road Rash Jr.

LMAO no problem I get that a lot  ::)

Spoogs

Quote from: Uhura! on January 18, 2011, 03:14:40 PM

That depends... you can always create new permission profiles and use where necessary... Admin>>Members>>Permissions>>Edit Profile

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Uhura! on January 18, 2011, 03:14:40 PM

Not sure, you could try creating a unique permission for that group. Mine works with default

Advertisement: