News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Permissions Question

Started by Uhura!, January 18, 2011, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhura!

I am not well versed in how to use those profiles...How about a quick explanation? :D
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Spoogs

Notice when you create or modify a board there is an option to change the permission profile.

Any permission profile you create you will have to decide what permissions each group has when that profile is in use. so lets say for example you create a new profile called "Male" you can determine what permissions all group has on any board that you assign the profile to.

Uhura!

Any other / additional advice?
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Acans

Uhura!, did the above suggestions help you?
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Uhura!

Illori

what about it did not work?

Uhura!

It doesn't address the problem.

Illori

you are still wanting to put one group of people in a membergroup and deny them access to certain boards? this is not a default feature of smf, you could request a mod though.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Illori on March 06, 2011, 07:25:19 AM
you are still wanting to put one group of people in a membergroup and deny them access to certain boards? this is not a default feature of smf, you could request a mod though.

Denying access of certain membersgroups to certain boards is done by modifying board permissions. Admin>Forum>Boards>Modify then sellecting the membersgroup that has access or not.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Illori

but if the group has access to other board because of post count or otherwise they will still be able to view other boards.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Uhura! on January 18, 2011, 02:17:08 PM

Here's the problem: I have post count based groups which give the women increasing access to private boards as their post counts rise ...so as the males post, they also seem to be members of the post count based groups and they are getting access to post in all areas of the forum as well - not just the board I intend.

How do I stop that? I want to keep the "Male" group posting in that one area of the forum only considering the post count based groups. Is there a way to separate / exclude the "Male" group from the post count based groups?

www.OurMomSpot.net

What if you turn off 'Count Posts' in modify board settings? Then the 'Male' posts are not counted but then nether are the 'Female' posts

Also check the settings in Edit Membersgroup. Under 'Group Type' make sure 'Post Based (Membership based on post count)' is not selected.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Illori on March 06, 2011, 07:44:20 AM
but if the group has access to other board because of post count or otherwise they will still be able to view other boards.

So you turn off the membergroups ability to see those boards they are not to have access to or post in. If they can't see it they can't post in it.

Illori

as far as i can recall the op wanted to keep the post count based groups which give access to certain boards over time so your idea will not work as they have post count based groups. lets give the op a chance to reply.

Arantor

Yup, there's no way to do what the OP is actually asking for. I did, a long time ago, write a method for making it true permission based but because it seems most people can't read, and of the ones that can, they can't seem to figure out how to use board permissions, I didn't bother getting it updated beyond 2.0 RC2.

Road Rash Jr.

Maybe I have it all wrong then, I understand that the OP wants to deny the membergroup 'Male' access to all but the one board. Even with post count being active, if a group 'Male' cannot see the other boards they cannot read or post to it. And if 'Post Count' is turned off for the "Male' group their posts will not be counted nor will their permissions, or lack of, be affected.

@Arantor - if what I suggested doesn't work then why are the controls there to do this? BTW what the OP wants to do works on my forums where certain groups have restricted access to boards.

Arantor

Quote@Arantor - if what I suggested doesn't work then why are the controls there to do this? BTW what the OP wants to do works on my forums where certain groups have restricted access to boards.

There aren't controls to do this. You can give and not give access. But you CANNOT forcibly remove access.

If you have a board that's, say, open to 20+ posts, but you have a 'Troublemakers' membergroup that shouldn't be allowed in there, there's no way to allow it to 20+ posts groups and *deny* the Troublemakers group. Never has been.

Users are implicitly in both a regular assigned group (or Regular Members) AND they ALWAYS have a post count... so if a board is ever based on post count, you're kind of screwed if you ever want to do anything else with it.

Road Rash Jr.

Weird, because if the group 'Males' in this case, have their Visible Boards set to see only the one board the OP wants them to see, no matter what their post count is, they will never see nor can they post to the boards the 'Males' group does not have access to.

Arantor

And what mods do you have installed? I can't make that happen on a fresh install...

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Arantor on March 06, 2011, 08:29:10 AM
And what mods do you have installed? I can't make that happen on a fresh install...

No mod that affects Membergroup, it's stock settings right out of the box.
Admin>Members>Modify(whatever the group is) at the bottom of the page for 'Edit Membersgroup' there is the settings for 'Visible Boards' select 'Show Boards' and you can select which boards that group can see or not see.

Just above that is 'Inherit Permissions:Select "No" to enable group to have own permission set.' set this to 'No-Use Unique Permissions'

Arantor

Yes, but that still doesn't solve the OP's problem.

Let's take the example I mentioned: we have a post count based board that requires 20+ posts to see it. We also have a Troublemakers group that isn't supposed to see it.

So, we duly configure Troublemakers not to have access to that board, and 20+ posts to see it, and I give the Troublemakers group to someone who is a PITA but has more than 20 posts. What happens? They still have access, because they have both the Troublemakers group which doesn't grant them access (but neither does it REMOVE access), and the 20+ posts gives them a group that CAN see it.

You cannot have a user that isn't in a post count group...

Advertisement: