News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to repair database error messages!

Started by mortymoose, January 19, 2011, 02:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

You can do one of two things:
1) Hope and pray that you have a good database backup (all the data is complete). Check the table definitions against the install*.sql file and fix any that have extra indexes, etc. (The backup may or may not have written out multiple indexes). Anything that's different, you can check in with us here. Nuke your old database (drop all tables) and import the backup .sql. Hope that a good database results (that's the purpose of a backup, but they don't always work, especially if the backup was made from an already-corrupted database!).
2) Pay someone trustworthy and experienced to remotely access your system and fix it for you. If they mess it up and/or the database was too corrupted to salvage, see #1.

mortymoose

MrPhil, thanks for the info, I am a wee bit busy for the next few days at work, so I will sit down next week, and start to fiddle, I will return and post the outcome to see what happened,

It's helluva irritating receiving 65 emails every morning telling me that my database has a problem...

thanks and enjoy the weekend...

mortymoose

I just had a cunning plan my lord,

Do the backup, drop the tables, and then make a new forum ( I happen to have a spare forum, with nothing in or on it,) edit what should'nt be there, upload it to forum 2, see if it works , then point the old forum to forum 2 , delete the old forum, rename 2 back to one, and bob's your uncle..... will report back.....

to infinity and beyond!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Any updates over this?

While you backup with these issues, make sure that you go through every table and see that the tables are backed up properly with the rows and columns inside along with the table structure. Many a times, if a table has crashed, the backup is not clean. ;)

mortymoose

Sorry, for the delay, I wanted a good few hours, to sit and attempt this here repair job, unfortunately, work has caught up with me and I will need to find time...meanwhile I just endure the db error emails....... sigh!   I also cannot apply any mods, save for the shoutbox one....

I shall post a reply once I try it out.....

Advertisement: