News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Why i dont get spammers in my forum

Started by Mick., January 19, 2011, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

I wouldn't use anything mathematical.  For other languages quite frankly im not sure how to answer that.

Arantor

Definitely nothing mathematical.

As a simple rule, try typing your question into Google and seeing what answer you get back. If you get your answer as a direct answer or in the first few results, think of another question.

kimcarter14

Quote from: bluedevil on July 23, 2011, 02:03:39 AM
Quote from: doublecoin on July 22, 2011, 09:30:17 PM
We were getting 100+ spammers trying to register every day. When we upgraded to 2.0 I added a simple security question to the registration process and they STOPPED immediately. I even logged off with my user name reregistered a new account username and it works perfect...

You can even leave the answer in your registration page.   Bots cant read, they do recognize certain words that have been programmed to them.

When registering to my forum, i ask the question followed by the answer. That way folks know what to input without hassles.

Ive been bot free for 3 years.

Bot usually don't recognize those kind of stuff and they only depend on the programs that makes them run. Simple as that. It is guaranteed that only pure humans can register in the forum with that security measures.

AstronomyEnthusiasts

Thank you, this helped me a lot too.

Quote from: MC73 on May 13, 2011, 04:54:11 PM
Quote from: bucharest on May 13, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
How do i apply the security question?

Administration Center »
    Security and Moderation »
    Anti-Spam

Then scroll to the bottom to insert your Q and A

HappyGecko

Cool trick.

The only forum I have run into that asks a topic related security question is http://www.ApplianceJunk.com [nofollow], and if I remember right, it only asked the question once I was bumped up to a higher "expert" rank.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 13, 2011, 04:41:38 PM
I use CloudFlare in combination with Arantor's Login Security mod, Forum Firewall and my own custom mod (blocks e-mail addresses as usernames, awaiting approval at the mod site).

Now I only need some stuff to prevent spammers from registering...maybe I'll create a custom mod for this.

We used CloudFlare for awhile until a few of our members started complaining that they could not access our site if their computer was connected to the internet through a cell phone tower.

Quote from: HappyGecko on April 07, 2012, 05:08:07 AM
Cool trick.

The only forum I have run into that asks a topic related security question is http://www.ApplianceJunk.com, and if I remember right, it only asked the question once I was bumped up to a higher "expert" rank.

Our anti-spam verification question is asked during registration.

jonyparks

I have only had 4 spammers and they didn't get very far.

FooToo

Do not heart me......

Sorry but using this method , bandwidth will loss. I'll prefer use the  Bad Behavior, blockscript, bots scout etc are there.

ssullivan

Quote from: Do not heart me...... on May 21, 2012, 12:43:00 AM
Sorry but using this method , bandwidth will loss. I'll prefer use the  Bad Behavior, blockscript, bots scout etc are there.
Are you serious? Are you concerned about the bandwidth of 3 to 5 more lines of code, against thousands of bots hammering your server daily?

FLEXjs

Quote from: Mick G. on January 19, 2011, 08:58:29 PM

1. First off, i use SMF's RC integrated security question.  The question used is related to my forum genre. I run an automotive forum and the question is simple. "How many spark plugs a Chevy Avalanche has?" Answer is 8.

Do bots know this? No.

This suggestions was just awesome.  I did exactly that.

The question is so easy for anyone interested in the topic of my forum, but no one else would know.

I went from dealing with 30-40 spammers per day to ZERO since I did this last week.

Thanks so much for this tip.

Vaskania

Bah- I don't know why I didn't think of using forum-genre questions earlier. We'll see how things go, thanks. :)
If bot regs cease, then I can finally remove a lot of extra steps I took to decrease them manually ( such as posting in a specific section of the forum multiple times to gain access to the rest >.> ).

Mick.

Quote from: Vaskania on January 02, 2013, 12:49:22 AM
Bah- I don't know why I didn't think of using forum-genre questions earlier. We'll see how things go, thanks. :)
If bot regs cease, then I can finally remove a lot of extra steps I took to decrease them manually ( such as posting in a specific section of the forum multiple times to gain access to the rest >.> ).

i dont use any of these steps anymore. My only spam measure is the forum genre question. Just one question, no captcha. ;)

BhamRandy

Advertisement: