News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to embed YouTube vids, without needing a mod.

Started by kat, January 22, 2011, 04:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Quote from: LexArma on January 22, 2011, 07:01:27 AM
Take a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgV89H4jevI

Replace /watch?v= with /v/ like this

http://www.youtube.com/v/WgV89H4jevI

Add flash tags

[flash=640,480]http://www.youtube.com/v/WgV89H4jevI[/flash]

Profit :)

Edit: Enable flash in posts first! (Admin > Posts and topics > Post Settings > Embed flash into posts) and be aware that embedding Flash CAN have small security risks. Don't ask me what those risks are, though, coz I don't have a clue!

Illori

are you sure this works? i tested it on my 2.0 RC4 install and all i got was a link, not embedding the video. Yes I do have flash bbc enabled.

DoctorMalboro

busterone

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You need to enable flash embedding for this to work ;) But it does work :)

EDIT:

Admin -> Posts and topics -> Post Settings -> Embed flash into posts
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

busterone

Indeed. That is why it was on my test forum. I do not allow it on the main site. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is a small risk, but you are correct, embedding youtube videos is not not a risk though....
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Masterd

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is yes, was widely used before AEVA came to be.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Joker™

We can easily create a permission that which user groups can use that flash tag. BTW, very nice trick I was not aware of it earlier :).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Depends on what you want and need, really. But I use AEVA too, it is simpler and saves me from explaining how to embed something time and time again :P
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Joker™

I think tips are posted to show that how can you achieve something in some other way. Like for embedding videos you can use AEVA or this trick. So it is much better not to compare them(this trick and AEVA).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Arantor

There's Aeva, there's SAVE. I think I'm right in saying that Aeva's future is... limited seeing how Nao can't update the first post in the thread.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how thorough SAVE is at detecting all the weird variations of URLs. I do know the XenForo version is very buggy as discussed on the thread about it but that's not an issue here.

1Chope

Can't Enqable flash embed,it is security risky ...

Robert.

Nice trick K@ and LexArma :)

Robert.

Advertisement: