News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Moving to a new forum (backup / restore)

Started by KalkanPrince, January 23, 2011, 05:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KalkanPrince

Hi All,

I am renaming my forum and url etc from for example domain1.com/forum to forum.domain2.com.

I have SMF 2 RC4  installed on the new domain and a live SMF2 RC4 forum on the old domain -  is there a way of me doing a restore of the topics / permissions / user list etc to the new forum?

I do not wish to take SMF with me or the theme.

Thanks

NanoSector

You can take your whole SMF with you if you wish. If so, you can use repair_settings.php

Move your SMF, upload that file to your SMF, and run it, to restore the paths.

But if you do not want to take your SMF with you, you can make a database backup at Admin > Maintenance > Database, and restore it back later in PHPMyAdmin.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

KalkanPrince

Thanks - Im just aware of lots of errors in the existing forum1 install so I thought if i did a clean install then pulled the mods through one by one it may be the best way forward

Is there a restore in SMF as I dont know how to use Phpmyadmin :(

Or would it be clean enough to take the whole forum with me then remove the mods etc from there? Im trying to find the cleanest way of taking the members and posts along but loosing the "tat" :)

Acans

Yes you can move your whole forum, run repair_settings.php and then once its working, download your forums version upgrade .zip archive. Open it on your computer and remove the attachments directory and settings.php and upload those to your server. This is mirror a fresh install but keep your posts, members, etc.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

KalkanPrince

Brilliant thank you :)
Will the database be clean or do some mods leave bits of rubbish in there also?

KalkanPrince

Sorry everyone think i have got myself lost here, ive done the following

• Install SMF 2 RC4 into the new domain
  • In the existing forum gone to Maintenance / Routine / Backup Database / Download and saved to my local pc

How do I now get this database information into the "new" forum

Thank you :)

Illori

KalkanPrince

Thanks

Does it matter my old database was called forum and my new database is called eforum
both tables start smf_

Thanks again :)

Illori

i dont think it should matter, try the import and if it gives you issues post the messages and someone might be able to resolve them.

NanoSector

But first "drop" all tables in phpMyAdmin (Scroll down > Select All. Dropdown (With selected...) > Drop). Else it would say things like "this table already exists".
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Illori

not if they are adding the old tables to a new database

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on January 23, 2011, 08:31:20 AM
not if they are adding the old tables to a new database
I guess you have installed SMF before you were going to import the database...

Illori

no you dont have to have it installed before to import the database, as long as you have a backup with the structure of the tables you can restore on a clean database with no tables.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Illori on January 23, 2011, 09:22:27 AM
no you dont have to have it installed before to import the database, as long as you have a backup with the structure of the tables you can restore on a clean database with no tables.

Yes you do have to install SMF first then import the database. If you import the database first, installing SMF after will erase by overwriting the database you imported.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Illori

not if you want to use an old database on a new install, you import the database first then upload smf files copy over your settings.php file and run repair_settings.php. before you ask yes i have done this and I know it works with no problems.

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on January 23, 2011, 10:03:33 AM
not if you want to use an old database on a new install, you import the database first then upload smf files copy over your settings.php file and run repair_settings.php. before you ask yes i have done this and I know it works with no problems.
So, how do you prevent the SMF setup from starting?

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Illori on January 23, 2011, 10:03:33 AM

You are using two different terminologies here "install" and "copy"
You cannot "copy" a backup of the database and "install" SMF without the "install" overwriting the "copied" database. You can "install" SMF which will create a new database, then "copy" "import" the old database over the new.

What you're talking about is not "installing" SMF but rather "copying" the main files of SMF without "installing". In this case what you suggest it will work.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Simple Series team on January 23, 2011, 10:08:08 AM

Do not copy the "install" files to the new forum.

NanoSector

Quote from: Road Rash on January 23, 2011, 10:14:22 AM
Quote from: Simple Series team on January 23, 2011, 10:08:08 AM

Do not copy the "install" files to the new forum.
So, for example, if you now copy the installation files to my forum, the installation script will show? Damn cool.

Illori

i never said to use the full install file. lets wait for the op to reply if there are any issues this is not really related to what they are doing anyway.

Advertisement: