Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded

Started by 28ten, January 23, 2011, 03:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

28ten

In the last week I changed servers and upgraded to RC4, now when users try to upload larger images (500kb+) I get the error message  'Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.' does anybody have any idea what might be causing the problem?

Thank you

busterone

Look in Admin- Forum - Attachments and Avatars- attachment settings

28ten

As a test I have increased the maximum attachment size to 3000 kb and I still get the message, and none of the settings have changed since RC3
the only other mention I could find was this thread http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=414348.0  which leads me to think its a memory issue?

busterone

Most likely you are right.  Try the suggestions from that topic, or contact your host.

28ten

I cant change the php.ini (in on share hosting) it is set to 128M, should I be setting the subs_graphics.php to this value?

busterone

tesser

The issue is security checks not file size

goto

ADMIN > Attachments and Avatars > Attachments settings  and untick  the below

The extensive security checks can result in a large number of rejected attachments.
HelpPerform extensive security checks on uploaded image attachments

28ten

Quote from: tesser on January 23, 2011, 07:42:13 PM
The issue is security checks not file size

goto

ADMIN > Attachments and Avatars > Attachments settings  and untick  the below

The extensive security checks can result in a large number of rejected attachments.
HelpPerform extensive security checks on uploaded image attachments

Thanks, I tried it before and I have it unticked but still getting the same message. I have taken all limits off, these are my settings

Arantor

I think you'll find there are certain minimal checks which are carried out regardless.

28ten

This is my hosts php.ini, im on shared hosting so I cant change anything, but it might help with a diagnosis
I have hit a wall with this as I am over my knowledge limit  :)

Arantor

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2011, 04:22:36 AM
I think you'll find there are certain minimal checks which are carried out regardless.

As in, no amount of configuration change in php.ini will do anything. SMF carries out certain checks regardless as far as I know.

28ten

I seem to have hit a wall with this, im not quite sure what to try next?

Arantor

Well, there's not really a lot you CAN do, that's my point!

For some reason there's an issue with the file you're trying to upload containing things that the system deems unsafe. And short of removing the checks entirely I don't think you CAN do anything...

28ten

It is happening with lots of files, forum members are getting the same message. it is not such a problem for me as I can resize images, but some members cant despite writing tutorials etc
It only been an issure since upgrading to RC4, I never had a problem before

Arantor

Yes, because as of RC4 they added more checks by default...

28ten

archiebald

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2011, 06:29:03 AM
I have read about these security checks but haven't found exactly what is being checked - can anyone explain?  It would help to understand why a certain file is failing them.

28ten

Quote from: archiebald on January 24, 2011, 06:38:09 AM
I have read about these security checks but haven't found exactly what is being checked - can anyone explain?  It would help to understand why a certain file is failing them.
as far as I can see it is related to individual file size, as I just did a test post with 8 attachments totaling about 250kb and it was fine.

Arantor

Things like Javascript embedded in the image itself that certain browsers will attempt to execute even though it's an image, and other similar vulnerabilities.

The security checking is not related to file size (you would actually get different things happening if it was overly large files)

archiebald

Quote from: 28ten on January 24, 2011, 06:45:59 AM
Quote from: archiebald on January 24, 2011, 06:38:09 AM
as far as I can see it is related to individual file size, as I just did a test post with 8 attachments totaling about 250kb and it was fine.
For my board with dedicated hosting, I have php.ini set to 200MB of uploads per message in up to 30 files.  This is running on vers 1.1.12 right now so I really hope it is never filesize

Advertisement: