News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

group permission questions

Started by mpglivecarlo, January 27, 2011, 05:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpglivecarlo

Hi for all SMF members and staff,

been using the smf forum in a very basic and simple way but now i´ve got some things i want to know and change and cant seem to make them work the way i would like to.

To start i will say im using SMF 2 RC3 for now (looking forward to upgrade to RC4). Here is one situation i´ve got:

1. I got a video games tournaments community and we are now running many competitions, so i decided to make custom groups for each admin group for each tournament; for example "COD4 league admin" and the group has 3 stars, but the main thing i´ve got problems is, permissions.

What would i like to do?
1.1. That those admin groups have moderator like permissions (in a specific board, can create posts, can edit any message, edit polls)
1.2. To show their "rank" as the name of the group, in this example COD4 league admin.
1.3. Maybe set an special image instead of the stars, but i think that would simply be to set another image name instead of the star image file.

What have i tried so far?
- I have edited the group permissions and set some permissions like moderator but it ends out that the group will get like a global moderator almost admin permission profile instead to be limited to the board i want.

As i understand permissions in SMF work something like this:
- user in his primary group (top layer permissions) has permissions to post new topics and to reply them in any board but no polls.
- same user in secondary groups, has one group that gives him permissions to create a poll in a certain forum.

Then his "total" permission profile in the specific board will be:

An in any other board would be:

I KNOW i can put users as moderator for the forum, but it will not show the group name nor the "rank" image, and since you cannot set up special moderators, cause they all share same permissions and settings in the group "moderators".

any help is welcome.

Illori

try creating a group, or additional group for these people, in this group make a profile that in specific boards they can do the moderation actions you wish for them to have. as long as this group is added as an additional group it will not change what badge/stars/member group is visible.

mpglivecarlo

Quote from: Illori on January 27, 2011, 05:29:09 PM
try creating a group, or additional group for these people, in this group make a profile that in specific boards they can do the moderation actions you wish for them to have. as long as this group is added as an additional group it will not change what badge/stars/member group is visible.

thx for fast reply,

That would mean that i would have to create a specific profile for each board and for every board a user group that would be authorized as moderator in this new profile right?

Sounds a like long task, hoped it would be easier :P

thx.

Illori

that is the best way i can think to do what you want.

Spoogs

Actually no you wont have to make different profiles for each board. I'm assuming the permissions will be similar anyway... so what you can do is create 1 new profile and set the permissions for all the groups. Now as you create the boards for each group only give access to the group that will be using that board.

Illori

well you would need a separate profile if there is a different group to be moderator of each board.

Spoogs

Not if you assign the mods at board level... or if there is a moderator group, set the permissions but make sure the member is in both the moderator group and the group that is suppose to access the board in question but do not give the moderator group access to the board. the fact that they have access through the other group will still allow them to moderate the board.

Illori

but they dont want the badge/stars to change or the persons group title which would change if you set them as moderator of each board.

Spoogs

Thats where the second part of my post comes in ;)
Moderator group would be the primary I suppose then the actual group would be the secondary...

For example
Group A - primary membergroup for all in Group A (give this group access to the board)
Group A Moderator - primary membergroup for the moderator of Group A... these members should also be in Group A (do not give this group access to the board)

Edit
Actually gave this some more thought...
The moderator doesnt have to be in both groups and the moderator group can have access

mpglivecarlo

Quote from: Spoogs on January 27, 2011, 07:12:44 PM
Thats where the second part of my post comes in ;)
Moderator group would be the primary I suppose then the actual group would be the secondary...

For example
Group A - primary membergroup for all in Group A (give this group access to the board)
Group A Moderator - primary membergroup for the moderator of Group A... these members should also be in Group A (do not give this group access to the board)

Edit
Actually gave this some more thought...
The moderator doesnt have to be in both groups and the moderator group can have access

Will test that, but i think that when primary group is moderator it will replace any title from any group from the board that person is moderator.

thx 2 you both.

Spoogs

if you actually create a group and give it moderator permissions then you wont have to assign them to the board as moderator

for example
Group A Manager <-- give this group the moderating permissions and you wont have to actually assign each person to the board, since the members in this group will have the necessary permissions.

mpglivecarlo

Quote from: Spoogs on January 27, 2011, 11:15:34 PM
if you actually create a group and give it moderator permissions then you wont have to assign them to the board as moderator

for example
Group A Manager <-- give this group the moderating permissions and you wont have to actually assign each person to the board, since the members in this group will have the necessary permissions.

Whe i did that, the group became like a global moderator, if i only give them access or "let them see" the only board i whish them to moderate, they wouldnt the see other boards since its primary group is like a top layer permission group?

will test this if i understtod correctly:

1. Create a group with permissions profile "by type" moderator.
2. In the group creation i will set only one forum that they can "see" in the visible forums section.
3. test if users in that group can moderate that specific forum without loosing their badge or custom group title.

Spoogs

before i go further let me make sure i fully understand what you are trying to do

You want to create groups (members in this group will have a specific badge) you want to also have the moderators for the boards this group will access to have their own badge as well.

For example
Group 1 has a badge lets call it BadAss
Group 1 Moderators badge would be like Super BadAss

Is this what you basically want to do?

mpglivecarlo

Quote from: Spoogs on January 27, 2011, 11:38:14 PM
before i go further let me make sure i fully understand what you are trying to do

You want to create groups (members in this group will have a specific badge) you want to also have the moderators for the boards this group will access to have their own badge as well.

For example
Group 1 has a badge lets call it BadAss
Group 1 Moderators badge would be like Super BadAss

Is this what you basically want to do?

Ok in simple terms following example:

Admin COD4:
- has moderator permissions in a specific forum (where he will be admin).
- has a custom badge (instead of the stars or in this forum the number of squares :P)
- the group title (Admin COD4) remains under his user name in posts.

I need to make multiple groups like this one for different people, different forum, different badge and title.

like this guy has SMF friend AND add the moderator permissions on a specific board.

I dont use the moderator field in the forum config because it cant be customized with the name nor badge.

thx

Spoogs

ok go to Admin>>Members>>Permissions>>Edit Profiles

Create a new Permission Profile
Now you can set the permissions for each group the way you want it.

Then on these particular boards, you will use the permission profile you created (not default).

mpglivecarlo

Quote from: Spoogs on January 27, 2011, 11:57:21 PM
ok go to Admin>>Members>>Permissions>>Edit Profiles

Create a new Permission Profile
Now you can set the permissions for each group the way you want it.

Then on these particular boards, you will use the permission profile you created (not default).

Then i would have to set a permission profile for each specific board?

Illori

yes you would need one for each board, which is what i suggested above ;) several hours ago.

Spoogs

Again I say no... you can set all the permissions in that profile and just control who has access to each board... not a new profile for each board.

Permission does not = access

Illori

it sounds like the op wants more the one group to see each board, and those groups can see other boards. so each board needs a separate moderator group and therefore a separate profile to give them permissions in that board only.

Spoogs

Aaaah I see, well if thats the case then yep, I agree it will require a different profile for each board

Advertisement: