Don't Show board descriptions (global setting)

Started by klumy, December 30, 2003, 04:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klumy

how about a GLOBAL "Don't Show board descriptions" setting instead of the current settings which just affect subforums

Anguz

why?

the current one won't show the description inside the board

you want one that won't show it in the boardindex? I don't think it's that painful to have them there... you can probably change it with the template system anyway

what if the admin changes one of the descriptions? you wouldn't know :P

I think someone suggested once to have collapsable descriptions, but then you wouldn't know if one was changed either... not that it happens all the time though
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

klumy

if I disable this descripion inside boards, it's just logical, that I also want to disable them on the boardindex. If you are a senior user, you should know the board descriptions. disabling them globally makes the interface not so cluttered

Anguz

the thing is, how much does it clutter it in the boardindex if that's what the boardindex is all about?

it'd be like taking the messages out of the thread and leave the titles only... well, not exactly the same ;D
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

klumy

it would be an user setting, so every user can set it like he want it to be. Sometimes the descriptions of some boards are damn long ;)

Ben_S

Should be a mod in my opinion, I had to give a board of mine a dont post this and this here, wouldnt be too good if people had disabled viewing descriptions so never saw that, sounds like a small change thats easy to do as a mod.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Grudge

I mean really... how much space do they even take up? If you want it as a profile option then it would take about 10 minutes to code it in with the "add profile options" fields you can add now. It's certainly not worth putting in the out of the box version IMHO - we don't want to confuse the user with 100 checkbox's for the silliest things
I'm only a half geek really...

Ben_S

Agree deleted members shouldnt turn into guests, and their emails should be hidden, this has been discussed before, cant remember where and cant remember what the outcome was either  ;D

Grudge

Ben_S

umm hmm correct, think I should goto bed then  ;D

klumy

Quote from: Grudge on December 30, 2003, 08:41:09 PM
I mean really... how much space do they even take up? If you want it as a profile option then it would take about 10 minutes to code it in with the "add profile options" fields you can add now. It's certainly not worth putting in the out of the box version IMHO - we don't want to confuse the user with 100 checkbox's for the silliest things

you are right. So my original suggestion was to expand the available checkbox, so it has a global effect. So you needn't add any new checkboxes to the profile.

[Unknown]

Quote from: klumy on December 31, 2003, 04:29:21 AM
you are right. So my original suggestion was to expand the available checkbox, so it has a global effect. So you needn't add any new checkboxes to the profile.

Wait... why?  First, in most cases the "last post" column makes the row so high anyway - removing the description will only leave a big blank space there.  Second, there are certain people (read: me) who don't like the board descriptions inside the boards, but do like them on the board index....

I understand that, in some cases, you might want to get rid of the descriptions... but this really is a mod thing, because I can see so many people asking how to REMOVE this feature so people would read the stupid rules!

-[Unknown]

klumy

Grudge

Also.. removing the descriptions is as simple as opening up the template file and deleting this:

<br />
', $board['description'];

If you think I'm gonna spend 30 minutes of my life coding up a checkbox to do that you are mistaken :D :P

klumy

Advertisement: