News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Notify Group

Started by pftq, July 21, 2010, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlenicki

Hello, board has about 7500 members and that group which I had enabled the notifications for had about 300 members.
Fomer SMF user. Switched to Invision Power Board and VBulletin

pftq

Not sure how to improve the query at the moment so I'll have to look at it within the next couple weeks.
If anyone else has any suggestions for it, let me know.

littlenicki

Hellom it would be very kind if you can look into improving the query please as your mod is very usefull. Thank you

OCJ

This works well except 1 point stopping me from using it for the club...

Notify doesn't send a copy to the poster.

I had similar problems with 'Announce Topic'. People are not sure the system is working so they keep sending duplicates - nightmare for mail limits and also produces a backlog with other mail held up. I had same trouble with other software - people want a copy of proof, that at least the software sent something out.

I did get a code fix for the Announce Topic to do that and it will be updated in the next release.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=478383

Do you know the code to edit to get notifications sent to the poster?

With this mod it makes it easier for them to post an event - less to think about. Also the notifications are short so might be quicker. It also means the board is more active as they have to log in the see full event details.

Also I could maintain posting events through the calendar for me. At the moment Announce Topic is only visible to admin posting through the calendar. For other groups (permission isnt set before its in a board) they have to post the event and then open it again before they see Announce Topic - not ideal.

Andy

OCJ

A bit worryied about the number of notifications that goes out.

After groups are added and a topic is posted:
1. They all get a notifications (those subscribed using the script). That's ok.

2. If someone replies to that topic - how many notifications are sent out? (last person to reply, all those who replied, all the subscribed group?)

3. What other actions trigger a notification, and to who?

A couple of dummy users were receiving notifications for moving and deleting topics. These would go to all group members if they had been subscribed?

Still considering using this even if it doesn't send a copy to sender- they paranoid it didn't go out if they don't get a copy and start hitting the announce topic again.

Arantor

Fairly sure the modification just sets up users and groups for the main SMF notifications system, which means like everything else it won't send to the sender.

You need better users.

OCJ

Arantor... I get the feeling you are just 'trolling' me now.... every post I make - you are there - mostly unfriendly, unhelpful comments in the last week.

I didnt ask .. if it sent to the user.
Quotethe modification just sets up users and groups for the main SMF notifications system, which means like everything else it won't send to the sender.

You need better users.

I said myself it didnt
QuoteNotify doesn't send a copy to the poster.

All I asked was ...
QuoteDo you know the code to edit to get notifications sent to the poster?

And several other questions about what events trigger a notification and to whom.

Arantor

QuoteArantor... I get the feeling you are just 'trolling' me now.... every post I make - you are there - mostly unfriendly, unhelpful comments in the last week.

I have to be honest, you keep going 'it doesn't send to the sender' is also rather unfriendly and unhelpful.

QuoteA couple of dummy users were receiving notifications for moving and deleting topics. These would go to all group members if they had been subscribed?

No, it won't. It will go to people who have notifications set on that topic or that board (it's complicated)... this mod just sets up people getting more notifications than they would otherwise.

QuoteAll I asked was ...

You'd have to gut the underlying notification system. Because like I said, this just adds more people to the list who would otherwise be notified. The underlying notification system will continue to exclude the person originating the notification. That's not a simple change.

QuoteAnd several other questions about what events trigger a notification and to whom.

Let me explain this: pretty much no-one knows how this stuff works. I'm still not entirely sure it works properly for what it is supposed to do, let alone whether its behaviour is desirable.

The reason I keep 'trolling' as you put it is because you're not listening to what I'm saying. You're so utterly convinced of how you have to solve a problem that you won't look for alternatives. It's rather frustrating. But if I don't reply, the odds are few others will - because even though I barely know the code, I still know it better than almost anyone else out there. Sucks, but there you go.

(It's why when I wrote SimpleDesk, I totally ignored SMF's notifications system and wrote my own. It's why we're trying to remove it entirely from Wedge and replace it with a better one built from scratch.)

OCJ

@ A-rant-or

Why you are replying here I have no idea.... I asked on a similar thread the other day and you were just as unfriendly replying it was not possible or you couldnt be bothered...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=478383.msg3513300#msg3513300
QuoteAnd no, there isn't a fix that I know of nor can I be bothered to trawl through the code yet again.

So I have every right to ask the author of this mod (using the notify function) if he knows the code edit to send to everyone, without you butting in and suggesting yet again ...
QuoteYou need better users.

Sorry If Im mistaken but it appears to be that you never saw my point on several posts. You chose to ignore it and continue with your opinion.

Anyway, I would prefer it if you did not reply to any of my posts and replies on SMF if you take such a rude attitude.

I've read what people are like at Wedge - Ive seen some of the sarcastic posts people at wedge have made.
I was using phpBB before and never ever came across people that  on support there - never. A few people here make SMF look bad - I feel sorry for the nice ones that give so much time helping people and remain polite ...it is obvious people like you give SMF a bad reputation.

Arantor

QuoteWhy you are replying here I have no idea.... I asked on a similar thread the other day and you were just as unfriendly replying it was not possible or you couldnt be bothered...

Sure it's possible. Easy, no. And the point being made here is that it's nothing to do with this mod, it's the underlying notification system that needs to be changed, because it's specifically designed - and has been for a decade - NOT to do what you are convinced it must.

QuoteSorry If Im mistaken but it appears to be that you never saw my point on several posts. You chose to ignore it and continue with your opinion.

I saw your point. Notifications are going out and your users are concerned that because they're not getting told about it, that no-one must be either. A small dose of explanation would likely work wonders.

QuoteI've read what people are like at Wedge - Ive seen some of the sarcastic posts people at wedge have made.

Oh, you mean me then.

QuoteA few people here make SMF look bad - I feel sorry for the nice ones that give so much time helping people and remain polite

I used to be like that, but it soon gets beaten out of you because people don't want help. They don't want people to tell them that their ideas might not be the best, they just want to implement what they're utterly convinced is the right way to do things.

Fortunately I had that illusion stripped from me a long time ago, by people like you, funnily enough.

Did you actually try talking to your users about it, for example? You're assuming your users are more naive than even I do, which is saying something.

QuoteAnyway, I would prefer it if you did not reply to any of my posts and replies on SMF if you take such a rude attitude.

I would prefer it if you would be open minded to alternatives, but we can't have everything. Still, as you wish.

OCJ

Well, at least we have come to an agreement... and now I can see why your post count is so high  :P

Dr. Beast

If I wish to unistall this mod is it enough to uninstall it and delete files from notifygroup folder (from forum Packages folder)? Would all changes made in files and database also be deleted?

pftq

Sorry for the late reply on this.  Did not get any notifications on the posts ironically.

@Dr. Beast: It is enough to just uninstall through the Package Manager in SMF.

@igirisjin: This mod works in conjunction with Mailing List - there's an option on that mod to send the notification/announcement to the original sender as well.  You don't have to enable the other functionality if you don't want to.  If you are concerned whether certain members were sent to, the Mail Tracker mod (also synergizes with this mod) will let you see who was sent to by clicking on the Mail Tracker link on any post.  The notification system otherwise works as SMF designed it as Arantor mentioned.

littlenicki

Quote from: littlenicki on February 07, 2013, 05:17:17 AM
Hellom it would be very kind if you can look into improving the query please as your mod is very usefull. Thank you

Bump

pftq

Don't mean to put off the request, but I'm actually quite stumped as to how to improve the query at the moment without splitting it up.  I suspect it is the FIND_IN_SET aspect as it has to check each member for whether they have the specified group, but I'm not sure how to replace that.  Are you assigning the group to the notification or the individual members? If you're using just the member subscriptions, I can strip out the group part of the query for you which would reduce the load back to SMF's original.

Any ideas from other members also welcome.

Quote from: littlenicki on September 09, 2013, 06:34:01 AM
Quote from: littlenicki on February 07, 2013, 05:17:17 AM

Bump

Arantor

You actually can't replace the FIND_IN_SET. The way SMF (both 1.x and 2.x) store the additional groups for a user means FIND_IN_SET must be used and that means going through every row manually in the members table, if you're doing send-to-groups.

pftq

Thought so but wasn't sure.  Thanks for confirming.

rarecorp

Hello, is this mod (or any other similar mod) compatible with the latest version 2.0.17?

I badly needed this kind of mod where all "checked" member-groups will get notified of this specific post posted by an admin.

Please help. Thanks!

Kindred

you do realize that you can do this in SMF without a mod?

When you make a new post, check the "announce topic" checkbox.
Then, once you make the post, it will ask yo which membergroups you want to announce it to...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rarecorp

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2020, 12:05:44 PM
you do realize that you can do this in SMF without a mod?

When you make a new post, check the "announce topic" checkbox.
Then, once you make the post, it will ask yo which membergroups you want to announce it to...

Hello, yes, but does this notify them through their emails? Thanks!

Advertisement: