Quick Reply -> Show, on by default

Started by ckelly06, February 01, 2011, 03:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckelly06

Hi guys,

I've asked this question a few times in a few different places, and no one has been able to answer. A little time has passed since the last time I asked so I'm trying again :)

All I want to do is to show the Quick Reply in its expanded state by default for all new users. I've gone into Themes and Layout and set the Quick Reply setting to "Show, on by default" for current members and as the default for guests and new members across every theme installed (I thought maybe SMF was reading this setting from the default theme instead of my installed theme so I changed the setting in both).

No dice. No matter what I do, the Quick Reply box is always collapsed by default for new users and when you go into the individual settings for a new user you see the option set as "Show, off by default". Clearly there is a bug in SMF 2.0 RC4 where this setting is not being respected, but I'm trying to find some workaround to just get this to work on my forum. Is anyone able to explain how I can edit the source code directly to hard code this setting since I can't get it to work from the admin console?

The forum where I'm having this issue is DateSphere Online Dating Forum.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Interested in online dating? Check out the DateSphere.com Online Dating Forum!

Antechinus

Interesting. I'll take a look at it tonight and see if I can reproduce this.

ckelly06

ckelly06

Just checking back on this, anyone have any ideas?

Spuds

Does your custom theme have its own Display.template.php file?  If so it might be missing some needed code to respect the quick reply settings. 

Oldiesmann

Did you set it that way for your custom theme, or for the default theme?

You may have to set it specifically for your custom theme as well.

Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Member Options
Click "Configure guest and new member options for this theme" under your custom theme
Make sure "Quick reply" is set to "Show, on by default".
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

ckelly06

Hi Oldiesmann,

Yes, I definitely set quick reply to "show, on by default" for every single theme I have installed in a desperate attempt to fix this (and I checked my currently installed theme as well as the default theme about 10 times).

Does anyone know how to hardcode this setting in the code? I think the admin console is just broken for this feature or something...

Thanks,

Chris

Rain Forest

Quote from: ckelly06 on February 11, 2011, 01:52:03 PM
Hi Oldiesmann,

Yes, I definitely set quick reply to "show, on by default" for every single theme I have installed in a desperate attempt to fix this (and I checked my currently installed theme as well as the default theme about 10 times).

Does anyone know how to hardcode this setting in the code? I think the admin console is just broken for this feature or something...

Thanks,

Chris

Got the same issue.. :(

Antechinus

Easy. Display.template.php

Find:

// Show the jumpto box, or actually...let Javascript do it.
echo '
<div class="plainbox" id="display_jump_to">&nbsp;</div>';

if ($context['can_reply'] && !empty($options['display_quick_reply']))

Replace:

// Show the jumpto box, or actually...let Javascript do it.
echo '
<div class="plainbox" id="display_jump_to">&nbsp;</div>';

if ($context['can_reply'])

It's only the last line that is changed. I just included the rest for context.

Gwenwyfar

Seems to be a bug, I have the same issue as well. Thanks for the fix :)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Rain Forest

If it is a bug, 2.0.8 is also 'infected'. :(

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: .Elephant on November 14, 2014, 11:31:34 AM
Yep, I have 2.0.8 as well.

Was thinking that maybe I didn't set it properly before I saw this.

Rain Forest

Quote from: Fortytwo on November 14, 2014, 12:10:24 PM
Quote from: .Elephant on November 14, 2014, 11:31:34 AM
Was thinking that maybe I didn't set it properly before I saw this.
That's what I thought. Hopefully there will be a fix on shot term.

Kindred

don't count on it.   We will probably address it in the next release of 2.0.x, but that is currently not scheduled and probably won't be made until/unless some security issues are also discovered.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Actually this is not a 'bug' but symptomatic of how SMF works in general. Quick reply is per theme because it is also a user preference (and user prefs require being per theme because of the way the EAM model is applied in the database)

I would not encourage 'fixing' it because it is not buggy. Its design is sub-optimal but it works the way it is supposed to work.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Yup; user preferences are all applied per theme because of how they are subsequently loaded.

Gwenwyfar

Hmm, true, it works normally (without the fix). Seems the reset or change in options is not applying to admins then?

This is one of the first settings I had set when going through all of them right after installation, and I've set my default theme's "user options" to display, on by default. That remained the same the whole time and I've "reset everyone to default" a couple times, and didn't touch my own options. It still kept displaying it off the whole time. Now that I checked other user's settings, they're all normal as they should be, just mine (as admin) that isn't.

Arantor

I would wonder if you're on the right theme at the time since it's always worked exactly how I've expected it to.

Advertisement: