Quick Reply -> Show, on by default

Started by ckelly06, February 01, 2011, 03:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenwyfar

Pretty sure its the right one, which is the default theme as well, the default one probably won't even work properly at this point :P

Maybe I just didn't reset it the right way or something then. For everyone else other than me its working just fine, all the default options are as they should including this one.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

The default theme is not necessarily the default theme. ;)

Gwenwyfar

The default theme is a custom theme based off a copy from default curve, just to get that part clear.

Edit: But yeah, that was it. My own options, even though I'm currently using the default (custom) theme, was still being based off the forum default curve theme from when I created it. So resetting the default (curve) settings did the trick (while resetting the custom theme's had worked for everyone else as they have always used only that one, or maybe because they were new users and got the new settings already) :P

Will do more tests with that once I have more free time, planning on keeping curve there to get all other future themes based off it. If settings are all based on it as well then even better, less stuff to change :)

And really not a bug after all :)

Low

Hi this is still an issue in 2.0.9+10. I even tried the hard coded option but still the box is collapsed for members. I noticed in my members personal forum/layout settings the options is set to NOT show quick reply by DEFAULT. So I think our admin/default settings are being overridden by member settings?

Although, for guests it is open/showing!

Any current workarounds?

Kindred

yes. default settings will ALWAYS be overidden by member settings. That's the entire POINT of member settings.

So, no... it's not an issue at all.

You can always FORCE a change to reset everyone to the default (in the same section of admin settings)  but - be warned - admins who force settings changes on users get pissed off users.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Low

Quote from: Kindred on August 07, 2015, 09:19:08 AM
yes. default settings will ALWAYS be overidden by member settings. That's the entire POINT of member settings.

So, no... it's not an issue at all.

You're missing the point. If a user wants to change their settings, fair play, great! But still, the DEFAULT settings which are set by an ADMIN are NOT being applied to NEW users because of the confirmed bug. I was wondering if there was a way around/fix for this.

margarett

I'm still not convinced that this is actually a bug, to be honest. We need to be able to duplicate it to confirm (or not).
In previous page, Arantor said:
Quote from: Arantor on November 17, 2014, 11:02:17 AM
Actually this is not a 'bug' but symptomatic of how SMF works in general. Quick reply is per theme because it is also a user preference (and user prefs require being per theme because of the way the EAM model is applied in the database)

I would not encourage 'fixing' it because it is not buggy. Its design is sub-optimal but it works the way it is supposed to work.

Besides, if you say
Quote from: Low on August 07, 2015, 09:15:28 AM
I even tried the hard coded option but still the box is collapsed for members.
I have to say that you edited the wrong file (eg: you edited Display.template.php from another theme which is not what you are using)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Low

Quote from: margarett on August 07, 2015, 10:06:04 AM
I'm still not convinced that this is actually a bug, to be honest. We need to be able to duplicate it to confirm (or not).
Other members also have the same bug. Bottom line, we tell admin settings to show quick reply by default.. it does NOT show by default. YES it CAN be switched on via their individual user profile/settings, but this is NOT default, is it?

Either the admin settings are broke/bugged, or redundant because either way the users see a collapsed quick-reply.

Quote from: margarett on August 07, 2015, 10:06:04 AM
I have to say that you edited the wrong file (eg: you edited Display.template.php from another theme which is not what you are using)
I only have the default theme and one Display.template.php?

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

And did you set the quick-reply on, by default FOR EVERY THEME?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

He says he only has the default theme, Kindred.

Quote from: Low on August 07, 2015, 10:47:01 AMI only have the default theme and one Display.template.php?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Steve on August 07, 2015, 12:58:03 PM
He says he only has the default theme, Kindred.

Quote from: Low on August 07, 2015, 10:47:01 AMI only have the default theme and one Display.template.php?
But there are two default themes, he could still have changed the wrong one.

Steve

How can there be two default themes?

Gwenwyfar

Themes that come installed by default, there are two themes that come by default, so two default themes. I did not mean the theme you currently use as default for the forum (lame double meaning words).

And from what I recall on this problem, editing the "forum default theme" settings do not change the theme settings. So I had to edit curve settings, and not "forum default theme".

I may not be completely right on this though, I have since just removed the setting altogether (everyone uses quick reply on my forum as default anyways, and not like something on the bottom needs to be collapsed to be ignored). But I'd still give a try to editing the setting on all themes to see if its not just that...

Steve

Ah, I see what you mean now. And btw, good to see you back. :)

Gwenwyfar

Thanks :) Just been way too busy this year, a lot of things to do at once, forum included :P Will appear around here more when I have the time.

Low

Quote from: Fortytwo on August 07, 2015, 05:14:22 PM
But there are two default themes, he could still have changed the wrong one.
I've changed the theme that is used by default with SMF.

My problem is exactly the same as OP's and most others in this thread. If a new member signs up it says in my admin for example: "1 user is using own theme setting" (this is not me). The member accounts aren't starting with the default settings but are automatically using the "HIDE quick reply by default".

If I reset them users to use the forum defaults then that works but I shouldn't have to work around this bug and fix it every time I get a new member, they should use the defaults automatically.

Again, guests can see the expanded reply box, if they become a member it is then collapsed, if this helps.

Illori

i just tested with my test forum and test account. i set the account to not show the quick reply at all. verified that the quick reply was not showing at all. i went in the admin panel on my admin account and changed the member options for the default theme/curve [one the test user is using] to show the quick reply and be on by default. i refreshed a topic and the quick reply showed for my test user.

Low

Quote from: Illori on August 08, 2015, 04:03:57 PM
i just tested with my test forum and test account. i set the account to not show the quick reply at all. verified that the quick reply was not showing at all. i went in the admin panel on my admin account and changed the member options for the default theme/curve [one the test user is using] to show the quick reply and be on by default. i refreshed a topic and the quick reply showed for my test user.
Yes I can do the same for current members. If I reset all member options they work. The quick reply does NOT show expanded by default for new members though.

Illori

now i can duplicate that. not sure if it will be fixed for 2.0. we can test it in 2.1 and see if it needs to be fixed there.

Advertisement: