News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Will smf 1.1.x have an auto-upgrade to 2.x?

Started by dugbug, February 06, 2011, 10:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dugbug

Hi,
I have never used SMF but like the look of this forum ("curve"?).  My host package allows me to add smf 1.1.2.  I was wondering, since I do not control the server, if smf has plans for 1.1.2 installs to self-upgrade to the newer version.

Also, any word on a final release?... or RC5?

thanks

SlammedDime

There will be no way to auto upgrade.  I'm not sure if Fantastico rebuilds packages to allow this (don't believe so), so the only way to upgrade is to upload the large upgrade package and manually upgrade.

You don't have any FTP or database access through phpMyAdmin?  That's all that's required to install SMF manually.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

NanoSector

There is no way to auto-upgrade. If this function was added then
1. The SMF servers could overload
2. Many forum owners would step away from SMF (mods are removed when using the large upgrade pack)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

dugbug

I have both ftp access and myphpadmin.   I don't have the ability to run scripts or get a shell, and that is what worried me.

I can update wordpress and whatnot, but that is all within wordpress itself.  If I don't need to actually be on the host machine to upgrade (i.e. shell console, scripts), then Im delighted.

NanoSector

Quote from: dugbug on February 06, 2011, 10:42:08 AM
I have both ftp access and myphpadmin.   I don't have the ability to run scripts or get a shell, and that is what worried me.

I can update wordpress and whatnot, but that is all within wordpress itself.  If I don't need to actually be on the host machine to upgrade (i.e. shell console, scripts), then Im delighted.
You only need to upload the Large upgrade package and run upgrade.php.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

dugbug

I hate to sound like an idiot, but its a natural role for me.  Can you run upgrade.php from myphpadmin? 

NanoSector

Quote from: dugbug on February 06, 2011, 10:56:26 AM
I hate to sound like an idiot, but its a natural role for me.  Can you run upgrade.php from myphpadmin?
No, you run it like you run your forum. But instead of typing index.php you type upgrade.php.

SlammedDime

phpmyadmin is only a database administration tool that can be used, if needed, to make modifications to the database (rarely needed in the normal course of running an SMF forum).  It also allows you to make and import *database* backups.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

dugbug

Sounds like I (and perhaps hundreds of thousands of hosted server users) can't use SMF given no ability to administer updates, which is disappointing as it looks nice.

PHPBB3 allows you to ftp updates into its install folder, then you visit it's admin console to begin an upgrade.  It would be nice if SMF did something like this as an option for us without console/shell access. 

NanoSector

Quote from: dugbug on February 06, 2011, 05:19:02 PM
Sounds like I (and perhaps hundreds of thousands of hosted server users) can't use SMF given no ability to administer updates, which is disappointing as it looks nice.

PHPBB3 allows you to ftp updates into its install folder, then you visit it's admin console to begin an upgrade.  It would be nice if SMF did something like this as an option for us without console/shell access.
It would indeed be nice -- but it isn't that easy.

kat

Quote from: dugbug on February 06, 2011, 05:19:02 PMIt would be nice if SMF did something like this as an option for us without console/shell access. 

Minor upgrades work, that way. You can install them via the Package manager, just as you'd install a mod.

The jump from v1.x to v2.x is a BIG jump, though.

Antechinus

Quote from: dugbug on February 06, 2011, 05:19:02 PM

You don't need shell access. You just need your login details and a browser.

dugbug

Oh cool, so little jumps are in-app. My provider only offers 1.1.2, so if they were to offer 2.0, then I could administer the relevant minor updates as such. I'll harass them to add 2.0 once I see it's released

Thanks

Antechinus

If you have FTP access to your domain and phpMyAdmin access then you can run the 1.1.x > 2.0 upgrade from your browser. It isn't actually done inside the admin centre but it's still a simple operation (if a little tedious on large sites).

It doesn't matter if your host supplies 2.0 or not. Heaps of people have done the upgrade on hosts that only supply 1.1.x by default.

SlammedDime

Shell access or console access or access to the physical server is not needed at all to run, install or upgrade SMF.  It *can* be used by those who know how, but it is not a requirement (you can view the requirements linked on our downloads page).
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: