News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need an easy to follow php install guide for unix

Started by Onsite, December 24, 2004, 12:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onsite

I lease a few Verio servers and I want to upgrade php on them.
They have default install scripts, but I can't compile anything different using them.
For example I need to compile pspell during the install.

I've looked over the php.net documentation, but it's a bit beyond my skill level.
Do any of you know of a newbie level guide to compiling and installing?
My format will need to be:
Unix
FreeBSD
Apache

Thanks

[Unknown]

Well, I don't, but the basic idea is:

# wget http://url/to/file.tar.gz
# tar xvzf file.tar.gz
# cd file

At which point you'll have the file directory extracted.  The next step is configure - if you look at a phpinfo, you'll see your configure line.  An example is:

# './configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-xml' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pear' '--with-pspell' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-versioning' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-zlib'

Just an example.  You may want to copy yours, and add at the end "--with-pspell" (and/or any other options.)  Then, you want to make it, like so:

# make

After that, it's time to install.  Installation has to be done as root... so:

# su
# make install

You also want to restart Apache.  There are a few ways to do this depending on your server, so I'll list them:

# apachectl graceful
# /etc/init.d/httpd graceful
# httpd graceful
# apache2 graceful
# /etc/init.d/apache2 graceful

Then we exit as root:

# exit

And just for safety, maybe check the error log:

# tail /var/log/messages

-[Unknown]

kdizzle

I know this is an old post but ....[Unknown] you have the knowledge I need.

I have this http://apbio.ohs.oside.k12.ca.us/testspell.php for php info.

Since I have php compiled currently how do I recompile it with --with-pspell ?

Do I download the source from the dvd I installed it from?  (Suse 9.3)
or
Do I get php4.4 from the web and use my same old configure settings.
or
Ignore my questions and explain in small words how I would recompile php over an existing php install?

Thank you.

[Unknown]

I would just download the source from php.net.  I don't think any distros modify PHP.

-[Unknown]

kdizzle

I do not have a compiler in my SUSE distro because it is rpm based. 

I get the following error when I try to compile:

loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

If you have time for a quick reply I would really appreciate it.

I have the rpm on the install dvd but not the source.

kdizzle

I used yast and intatlled gcc then I ran the configure with my php.ifo output and now it says that it cannot find the path to apsx?

This is the output from the php.info:
'./configure' '--prefix=/usr' '--datadir=/usr/share/php' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--libdir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--with-_lib=lib64' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/lib64/php/bin' '--disable-debug' '--enable-inline-optimization' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-safe-mode' '--enable-sigchild' '--disable-ctype' '--disable-session' '--without-mysql' '--disable-cli' '--without-pear' '--with-openssl' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs2-prefork' 'x86_64-suse-linux'

What is weird is that there is no apsx2-prefork in /usr/sbin ?

Thank you for your help I think this seems like alot of trouble,  I think I must be doing it wrong.

[Unknown]

So I assume you installed the RPMs for everything, huh?

You may need apache2-devel.  Do you have slocate? (the locate command...)

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: