News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 1.1.13, SMF 2.0 RC4 Security Patch, and SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 5

Started by Norv, February 11, 2011, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

There was a time when its course was very self destructive, but I suspect the true level of danger wasn't clear to most people here. Most teamies and former teamies will be acutely aware of it, though.

There has been a lot of change this last year, and while I have my own bones of contention over the way things have gone, there's no doubt that RC5/RC4 security release is a good thing. The pace has been fairly frantic in the last few weeks, and what's holding it up is legal matters. I think, though, I'm right in saying that there's absolutely no doubt the legal matters *must* be completed before final, rather than going final then doing a licence change. I'm not going to enter into the debate as to why I think that's the case, because it's frankly unnecessary at this stage.

God knows I've done my fair share of calling people out on things, and been dramatic when it seemed nothing else would do. But I'm pleased to see RC5, pleased to see the issues I've reported being fixed (even if not necessarily the way I dealt with them in my own situation), pleased to see that progress is happening, and for once I'm going to ask that the ******ing stop - the more time spent ******ing about stuff that you're not in the loop over is more time spent delaying final and the inevitable move to 2.1 that comes after it.

I have my own reservations about that too, but right now that doesn't matter, I have enough faith in the team to actually move things forward in the short term where it really matters, and that they'll deal with the long term matters in similar fashion. ******ing about it isn't going to make it happen any quicker, either, and if the long release cycle bothers you, do something about it. Bug test it as hard as you can, find every nuance that doesn't work as expected, and get it reported so it can be fixed. If you can, try and find a solution too. That's what we can all do, should we be so inclined, to getting things moving here - while the legal stuff is fixed in the background, and hopefully when the code's finally polished and gleaming and ready to be deserving of the title of final, so too will the legal stuff be dealt with.

Ryan2320

Thank you Guys!

Will be updating and moving to 2.0RC5!

Really glad it is moving forward!

Ryan

Saibamen

Arantor

What, RC4 to RC4 patch, or RC4 to RC5? The former you can see in the patch file, the latter you can readily do a diff between RC4 install and RC5 install.

Saibamen

I want update my theme from RC3 to RC4, then from RC4 to RC5. Where is the changes? (like in phpBB)

Arantor

Many changes, which is why there isn't a simple list of them anywhere.

Grab the full install of those (see the archived section on the download area), then run a diff tool like WinMerge between them. Like I already said.

IchBin™

Quote from: Saibamen on February 12, 2011, 07:22:41 PM
I want update my theme from RC3 to RC4, then from RC4 to RC5. Where is the changes? (like in phpBB)

If you follow Arantor's advice you'd be better doing a diff on the differences between RC3 and RC5. Winmerge or BeyondCompare are a great tool for doing this.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

NISHIKI

Quote from: Saibamen on February 12, 2011, 07:06:55 PM
Where is templates changes from RC4? (line by line)

I want it, too.I must copy my Japanese language file when a final version is released.Because,SMF have not complete japanese file yet.

IchBin™

Template changes for RC4 to RC5 attached.
Including the files that only have the version change at top.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

lucb1e

Changelog from 1.13 seems broken, WinRAR says 'damaged archive or unknown format'.

Edit: From 2.0 RC 5 as well. Other zips, also SMF upgrade zips, open fine though so it has to be the file.

chep

Ichbin, I'm with you. This little Road Rash IS a troll. He just sent me an annoying message "Chep shot". It is amazing the lengths people go in order to create chaos from nothingness.. He's like a 10 year old on crack. I've seen rocks which are more useful than this troll. Anyway...

青山 素子

Quote from: NISHIKI on February 12, 2011, 07:30:21 PM
I want it, too.I must copy my Japanese language file when a final version is released.Because,SMF have not complete japanese file yet.

I sent you a PM on this comment about contributing to the official language files. Please do read the PM and consider contributing.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

gisfreak

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Rattler

my auto-upgrade from 1.1.12 to 1.1.13 has failed tests in two files, where do we find the manual upgrade instructions?

Thanks,

Rattler
You can discuss with people, and sometimes it even makes sense to do so. Forget that when confronted with the cruel facts of life... (inspired by SiGnature™).

Norv

Please find them here:
1.1.12 to 1.1.13 edits

If you may have further problems, please consider asking in Support boards, you will get better help there. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Rattler

You can discuss with people, and sometimes it even makes sense to do so. Forget that when confronted with the cruel facts of life... (inspired by SiGnature™).

Burridge

I upgraded two boards to RC5 from RC4(without the security fix) with no problems or hindrance. Thanks team.

klumy

NISHIKI

Quote from: IchBin™ on February 12, 2011, 07:51:47 PM
Template changes for RC4 to RC5 attached.
Including the files that only have the version change at top.

Thank you so much!!!

I understand your(team) hard work now. :o

Advertisement: