SMF 1.1.13, SMF 2.0 RC4 Security Patch, and SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 5

Started by Norv, February 11, 2011, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willerby

Thanks Ichbin, having used SMF since Sep 2008, I've only ever used RC versions of 2.0 and having experimented with a load of mods and custom edits each upgrade has been quite a task. If releases after Final are via package manager that will make things sooooo much simpler.

Get those lawyers to pull their fingers out and go gold ;)

Thanks for all the efforts of everyone involved. Truly a fantastic piece of software given it is produced by volunteers around the globe.
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

FfdG

Quote from: Simple Series team on February 12, 2011, 07:37:50 AM
Quote from: FfdG on February 12, 2011, 06:55:26 AM
Quote from: IchBin™ on February 11, 2011, 10:20:06 PM
Quote from: FfdG on February 11, 2011, 09:06:48 PM
Vice versa. What's so hard in bundling a set of files? I don't want more than 1000 files, Smileys, unchanged Themes and periodically changed empty lines before EOF. Diff is nice but I still have to build my own patch.

You don't have to build a patch. A security patch was provided. So it's not necessary to do the large upgrade. I could understand a full patch being made in a final version update. I don't think we have ever done patches for updates when in RC.
I don't care about the 2.0RCn. I just want a package of the changed¹ files for the stable 1.1.x version. No "small update" with over 1000 files, no "patch" in dumb package manager format and no hidden attachments in announcement posts.

¹ The ones with significant differences. Not the ones with nicer whitespaces.
What you are requesting is already done; the small update package.
No, it's not. Over 1000 unchanged files are not "a package of the changed¹ files". Is it that hard?

Masterd

Quote from: IchBin™ on February 12, 2011, 07:51:47 PM
Template changes for RC4 to RC5 attached.
Including the files that only have the version change at top.

What about the CSS changes?

KVL

Thank you very much for your work! :) Updated is successfully! :)

Many thanks! :)

IchBin™

Quote from: Masterd on February 14, 2011, 08:06:09 AM
Quote from: IchBin™ on February 12, 2011, 07:51:47 PM
Template changes for RC4 to RC5 attached.
Including the files that only have the version change at top.

What about the CSS changes?

Download Winmerge. Open both the css files from both versions of SMF. Winmerge will highlight any changes made for you. Doing a diff like that is not hard.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 11, 2011, 10:57:54 PM
Quote from: Dismal Shadow on February 11, 2011, 10:15:39 PM
* Dismal Shadow foresee RC6...

* Dismal Shadow runs away

Not gonna happen.

At one point we were told there wouldn't be an RC3.

Then we were told that RC3 would be the last before final.

Then RC4 appeared, and we were told RC4 would be the last before final.

Now we have RC5...

I'm beyond complaining...  my forum is basically screwed at this point anyway, even the themer for my site relaunch I had lined up has given up on SMF in the 1+ years I've kept them on-hold, waiting for a stable base to work with. And I've not found someone to replace them (request for paid help in appropriate board still has no replies after over a month, and I wasn't being cheap). SMF 2 will come when it comes and I'll just have to wait until then to see if I can salvage anything from the remains of my forum. I'm just saying that there's a bad track-record for making any claims about there not being another RC. ;)

That said... I'm glad things are improving (it seems?)... albeit at a snail's pace. Progress is good, and if nothing else RC5's release proves that things aren't at a standstill. We'll just have to see if it's enough to save the community. I'd like nothing more for SMF to have the glory and momentum it did when I first chose it as the basis for my site.

Hell, I'd pay $100+ for SMF at this point if it'd bring it up to 2011 forum expectations and get 2.0 final here faster. And on top of that I'd pay $100+ for a custom theme if there was anyone interested enough in making SMF themes anymore to make the one I want. It's not about the money. (Of course, start throwing too much cash at SMF and you have to question why you don't just go with a commercial forum like IPB to begin with...)

Quote from: charlottezweb on February 12, 2011, 08:52:49 AM
Can someone help me understand why a version number matters?  What's the difference between a piece of software being labelled "version 2.0" and "version 2.0 RC 12,000" if they are identical code-wise?

I just don't get all the people who won't run an RC package just because it's labelled "RC."  Stability isn't a factor people.  It's just a number unless I'm missing something.  You'd seriously go through the trouble of changing platforms based on that?  Surely I'm missing something here...   ???

No easy update package to 2.0 final and beyond, requiring full reinstall each time. My transition to 2.0 will be painful enough as it is. I don't want to do it multiple times to get to 2.0-final.

For what it's worth: the 1.1.13 update installed cleanly for me without any issues. Thanks. :)

Masterd

Quote from: IchBin™ on February 14, 2011, 11:10:17 AM
Download Winmerge. Open both the css files from both versions of SMF. Winmerge will highlight any changes made for you. Doing a diff like that is not hard.

Thank you! That will help me for sure! ;)

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

digitalsolo

My update from 2.0 RC3 to 2.0 RC4 went (relatively) painless, and the fact that I can apply a security package is fantastic news, as I wasn't really feeling up to doing all that testing (you guys do test all your mods/functions on a test forum BEFORE you upgrade, right? ;)) again so soon.

Update package went in no problem.     Thanks for all the hard work guys, SMF is doing very well for me.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: groundup on February 14, 2011, 02:17:43 PM
sremick, what makes upgrading so painful for you?

I have a large number of mods and many conflicted and so required extensive manual edits.

I've learned much in my time with SMF and so will document better in the future, but regardless doing a full reinstall of all my mods and manual edits is not something I'm looking forward to having to do any more than absolutely necessary.

There's also the issue that a custom theme needs a stable foundation and it seems the stuff that affects themes keeps changing with each RC. If I'm going to pay for a custom theme I'd rather not have to re-pay for RC2... then RC3... RC4... RC5... RC6... RC7... final... etc. Of course, maybe a theme designer would be willing to contract in all updates until final... but that'd require finding a theme designer, and doesn't address the other issue.

So on 1.1.x I remain. *sigh*

Matthew K.

Paracelsus

Flawless update and nice comment from Norv on the status quo, thank you! ;D

xrunner

Installed easy. Most mods still installed afterwards without updates.

Thanks.

BoastMyRide

NISHIKI

Quote from: 青山 素子 on February 12, 2011, 09:46:14 PM
Quote from: NISHIKI on February 12, 2011, 07:30:21 PM
I want it, too.I must copy my Japanese language file when a final version is released.Because,SMF have not complete japanese file yet.

I sent you a PM on this comment about contributing to the official language files. Please do read the PM and consider contributing.

I will join.
But,Please remember,I am beginner. :-[   I just study SMF....

islam2hamy

Arabic Translator - Web Designer
My Mods / My Themes  //  GfxLand

Advertisement: