SMF 1.1.13, SMF 2.0 RC4 Security Patch, and SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 5

Started by Norv, February 11, 2011, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowy

Thank you soooooo much for the patch. Upgrades are tedious for me, so these easy to install security patches are extremely beneficial.

Robert.

klumy

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

comedorsamus

Quotefor admins who wish to secure their RC4 forum but may not want to do a complete upgrade
YEEEEESSS! Thanks for that! :)

And since I'm here, let me ask something. I'm currently using RC4 with a language package, but I have modified some of them (a few lines and .php files still in english), would an upgrade overwrite those files or maybe create some kind of incompatibility?

Thanks!

NanoSector

Quote from: comedorsamus on February 15, 2011, 02:40:53 PM
Quotefor admins who wish to secure their RC4 forum but may not want to do a complete upgrade
YEEEEESSS! Thanks for that! :)

And since I'm here, let me ask something. I'm currently using RC4 with a language package, but I have modified some of them (a few lines and .php files still in english), would an upgrade overwrite those files or maybe create some kind of incompatibility?

Thanks!
As long as they aren't the default english files you are fine :)

But the RC4 security patch will not change the language files as far as I am aware.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: klumy on February 15, 2011, 12:43:29 PM
what's new in RC5?
Quote from: Kindred on February 15, 2011, 12:45:50 PM
read the changelog.
The first post in this topic explains.

QuoteMain points of this 2.0 release include:
Several security-related fixes.
Mail management fixed.
Issues with international forums characters.
Unread replies and topics core functionalities issues were fixed.
A few administration features issues were fixed.
New integration hooks features introduced in RC4 were fixed.
Many other fixes and improvements.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

D3N1553

Im not so happy about it,  I'm feeling I've been waiting too long for final release :/ XD I stopped the activity in my forum since the beginning of 2009 because I thought 2.0 would mean a significant change and It would be a matter of weeks to become final, so I thought "Well, It would ok to wait a little so my efforts editing the website wouldnt be insignificant since 2.0 will be such a change"...  but a year passed :( and then I thought devs would give us a nice christmas gift on december 2010...well, at least a new year's surprise. But no :( Its February 2011 and all I get is a RC5 XD ... Im not angry or anything, but 5 years seem too long for any kind of project, free, open source or whatever @.@

Now 2.0 seems old for me.  I know that many people will dislike my comment, but we have HTML5, CSS3 and other technologies that are becoming more important in web development...  and I dont imagine myself waiting 10 years more for 3.0 and start using some of them.

Sorry if Im being disrespectful or too ignorant
Using:

SMF 1.1.7 with spanish_es language
"Customized" SMF Default Core Theme

Happy Simpleportal, Media Gallery and Blog Community MODs User.

Thanks...

D.

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

BÉLVI®

Since I upgraded my forum to 2.0RC5 and I come to inform everyone that the only bug was found that Wysiwyg button to view does not change the code using.

for now it's just that

thanks
...:::sou eu...............o mesmo de sempre:::...

Usuario UFSXHWK, BB5 KING, MX-KEY, Setools Box 3 ativada LGETool.

XPeria X8 android 2.3.7 baseband 015 Kernel 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1 Vmod GingerDX NVv021

Norv

Quote from: D3N1553 on February 15, 2011, 08:00:33 PM
Now 2.0 seems old for me.  I know that many people will dislike my comment, but we have HTML5, CSS3 and other technologies that are becoming more important in web development...  and I dont imagine myself waiting 10 years more for 3.0 and start using some of them.

Sorry if Im being disrespectful or too ignorant

I completely agree, D3N1553. We do not intend to have such slow pace of releases as we did the last years, and we are working on it.

Quote from: MOTORBR on February 16, 2011, 12:55:05 AM
Since I upgraded my forum to 2.0RC5 and I come to inform everyone that the only bug was found that Wysiwyg button to view does not change the code using.

for now it's just that

thanks

Can you please explain what do you mean exactly? Eventually, can you post a bug report in the Bug Reports board with as many details as possible about your forum?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

[SiNaN]

Really, we want to release this thing more than anyone else does in this world.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

CaptainKirk

Quote from: [SiNaN] on February 16, 2011, 09:55:18 AM

Which "world" would that be? 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: CaptainKirk on February 16, 2011, 12:58:03 PM

The world where we love to hear complaints like this, and that is why we hold off the release.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

CaptainKirk

Quote from: LexArma on February 16, 2011, 12:58:40 PM

The world where we love to hear complaints like this, and that is why we hold off the release.

Figures.

twig/al

Great job SMF... I don't mind the wait... Just get it right when it finally is released...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: CaptainKirk on February 16, 2011, 01:32:49 PM
Quote from: LexArma on February 16, 2011, 12:58:40 PM

Figures.
Seriously though, you do understand we'd very much want to release already - partially just because we don't like to be pushed continuesly, and we don't like to see people complaining about this, and we would love to give straight answers to avoid it - but we can't, and we too think it's been too long already, and would like to move on with the project as well. It shouldn't be that hard to see, that we really really want to have a final released soon.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

KensonPlays

I thought you weren't going to release a RC5?! I thought GOLD was going to come before then  :o :-\

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Kindred

Quote from: Norv on February 11, 2011, 03:16:35 PM
This version is a security release

At this time, legal matters related to the upcoming license changes have prevented us from making a final release of SMF 2.0.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: