SMF 1.1.13, SMF 2.0 RC4 Security Patch, and SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 5

Started by Norv, February 11, 2011, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HecKel

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2011, 01:57:49 PM
QuoteI think at least an IDEA of finals or updates would be better than "whatever it's ready" or "whenever we feel like it"

Except that happened once before with a previous release candidate, the date slipped due to real life stuff and there were a lot of people unhappy as a result - and only "the summer" was quoted. So no, the team will not commit to any time or date, not even approximately, because it has happened before and they know the result.

Sorry Arantor, but what's the difference between giving an estimated date and then people complaining and what is happening now? For what i can see, a lot of people are complaining even without an estimated date.

Regarding this new issue, the NPO license or whatever, I totally can understand, because it is out of your hands. But what about before that? As far as I know, we even don't have an idea of the roadmap that you have been following. Which new features? Which enhancements? etc. We have been kept in dark for a huge amount of time and what used to be topics (like this one) with a lot of people congratulating the team, people are starting to complain and a lot! This isn't pleasant, not only for you but also for us.

My community used to have a charter member account, we decided to subscribe it only to support the project, but after two years we realized that the development was too slow, the development feedback was a mirage even for the charter members and we started to feel that we were supporting a project that was neglecting its followers. Seriously, you should reconsider your policies regarding the community, they might have worked in the past, but now they are "deprecated" :(
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

IchBin™

The difference is there's nothing to hold the Volunteers here responsible for. While there are grumbles about it taking so long, that is not the same as giving a date and missing it. Especially when things are changing in the future so that hopefully these things won't hold back the releases like they currently are. So it should be a moot point. In the future releases should be quicker. So the complaint you are comparing should disappear. Whereas the setting a date complaint won't disappear if missed.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Kindred

Well, you know what features are clouded, since 2.0 has been feature locked for a long time.

And even while we plan to improve e release timelines, we have no plans to ever promise release dates for the reasons specified above. ... And no, those reasons are not "deprecated"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RuanofWinter

You may pick two:

Cheap, Good, Fast.

You have selected Cheap and Good.

No you may not have fast, you may only pick two.

That is the nature of free open source software.

NanoSector

Quote from: RuanofWinter on April 02, 2011, 04:14:52 PM
You may pick two:

Cheap, Good, Fast.

You have selected Cheap and Good.

That is the nature of free open source software.
Okay, what is this for a post?

SMF is cheap (not even, it's free), it's good (better then any software I used...and I used alot) and it's fast.

That releases come a little later, what is the matter with that? As long as they are working great, there's no problem with that...
They are just volunteers.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

willemjan

Quote from: RuanofWinter on April 02, 2011, 04:14:52 PM

SMF will indeed be slow on an crappy server. But look at the page loads here, you can't call that slow, can you?

QuotePage created in 0.082 seconds with 6 queries.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think speed referred to dev speed and release cycle, not the end product ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

joey791

I have never come here to knock any of you guys and have been helped by a few of the team, but I work in a deadline managed world and it doesnt matter what legal stuff is going on or whatever and I have to at least give my customers an estimate.

It would just be nice to know if its going to be a year or 5 years before 2.0 is ready to go.

and btw if it took paying for SMF to get this I would pay for it.

Arantor

You can't realistically expect an estimate from people doing things in their spare time.

青山 素子

Quote from: joey791 on April 07, 2011, 08:04:29 AM
and btw if it took paying for SMF to get this I would pay for it.

Paying won't make the legal stuff go any faster.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

joey791

Quote from: Arantor on April 07, 2011, 08:09:34 AM
You can't realistically expect an estimate from people doing things in their spare time.

I do it all the time Arantor

So theres no clue if we will see a final release in the next year?

Illori

this has been answered already in this thread, you will not get a direct answer.

Arantor

Quote from: joey791 on April 07, 2011, 01:15:13 PM

I only hope I never find myself creating things in my spare time for you then, because in my spare time, I have no guarantee how long I will spend on something.

NanoSector

Quote from: joey791 on April 07, 2011, 08:04:29 AM
I have never come here to knock any of you guys and have been helped by a few of the team, but I work in a deadline managed world and it doesnt matter what legal stuff is going on or whatever and I have to at least give my customers an estimate.
That's your problem, then, if you work deadline managed. I suggest you to stop with that.

SMF cannot give times, not only because of the license changes, but also because people do it in their spare time, which can happen to come out differently each day, as this quote actually already says:

Quote from: Arantor on April 07, 2011, 02:09:41 PM
Quote from: joey791 on April 07, 2011, 01:15:13 PM

I only hope I never find myself creating things in my spare time for you then, because in my spare time, I have no guarantee how long I will spend on something.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Robert.

Exactly. :) The team is doing it's best to get Final out as soon as possible. Someone on UBB said once "I prefer a slow, but good development rather than a rapid, bugfull development". So it's your choise: what do you prefer?

kat

We're just waiting for a single signature, to complete the transfer from the LLC to the NPO.

Until that transfer's completed, we're stuck where we are.

Unfortunately, the person whose signature we need, has been moving house.

As soon as that signature is obtained, SMF v2 will go "Final".

Nothing more that anyone can say, really.

joey791

Actually I enjoy my job so thats a moot point Yoshi

Aranator, you have to look at pass experiences, right now I'm interfacing a 10 school district in my spare time(the HVAC controls) if you ever learn OPC let me know, btw your bot killing mod worked very well on my site, I have no more members being logged out now.

Thats the issue with SMF, any question or anything turns into a drama show it seems and thats well documented over the web on any forum about forum software, I know yall have a lot going on, under pressure, etc., and I have dealt with some of you guys, questions are being asked cause we care, if I didn't care I would move on to some other forum software and never have asked anything of yall.

Also I would like to upgrade my theme, forum, and mods in one shot, so if it can happen in less than a year that gives me something to tell my community and for me to plan for.

Thanks K@ wish you would have been the first to reply to me, all I wanted to know ;D

joey791

Quote from: The Zonemaster on April 07, 2011, 02:48:11 PM
Exactly. :) The team is doing it's best to get Final out as soon as possible. Someone on UBB said once "I prefer a slow, but good development rather than a rapid, bugfull development". So it's your choise: what do you prefer?

The first public beta for 2.0 was in 2008, I prefer a little faster.

feline

Quote from: The Zonemaster on April 07, 2011, 02:48:11 PM
The team is doing it's best to get Final out as soon as possible.
More then 3 years is too long, that is fact.
But while the SMF director do nothing to acquire  new developer, the final is long away...
My 2 cent...

Advertisement: