News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Logged in forever and it keeps logging members out.

Started by mcaswe, February 12, 2011, 08:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

Quote from: Ziggy on February 13, 2011, 11:25:46 PM
Quote from: mcaswe on February 12, 2011, 08:49:59 PM
I had to pm's today... heres one. "i keep getting logged out of P/A even though I pick to stay logged in forever.  Like 20 times a day I have to relog in."  PA is the site name.

I am having the same problem on my forums. The forums haven't been updated yet, they are still RC4. I haven't changed anything. The only mod I use is Aeva Lite.

I have many members reporting this issue on various browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer). It seems that Safari users don't have a problem.

I strongly advice to install at least the RC4 Security Patch, or upgrade to RC5. It fixes such a behavior, experienced when failed attempts to login as the users are being made. (by bots or malicious users).

It may also be a good idea to consider installing mods that block known or suspected spammers IPs.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

willerby

What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

mcaswe

I installed that security patch, and from what members are saying, same story.

mcaswe

I also wanted to add while some were writing their reply to a topic... when they went to post it, they had to log in. And lost their post.

Norv

Can you please tell, how many cases were there, after installing the patch?
Were they logged in "forever", or a limited time (like 60 minutes)?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

kat

I'm wondering if there's a scripty thingy that can do something like:

10 If user is logged in goto 10
20 If user is logged-out goto 30
30 log user in
40 goto 10

over-simplified and in pseudo-BASIC, I know, but...

Arantor

kat

Couldn't something really simple, like that, do the trick?

I'm not familiar enough with PHP to know quite how you'd do it. But it seems pretty simple, to me.

Mind you, to retards, things often do... ;)

mcaswe

Quote from: Norv on February 15, 2011, 02:04:16 PM
Can you please tell, how many cases were there, after installing the patch?
Were they logged in "forever", or a limited time (like 60 minutes)?
3 and they always log in forever, thanks for all the info up to here guys, some great people here

MATTEK

Quote from: Spoogs on February 13, 2011, 05:09:30 PM
Quote from: MATTEK on February 13, 2011, 04:28:39 PM
Quote from: Spoogs on February 13, 2011, 03:37:34 PM
you could check to make sure the mods have been updated... some might work using version emulate other might not unless updated.

Your signature would indicate you're using RC3. As am I. Have you had any issues like this?

It just started yesterday on my forum. I have not experienced but another Admin has.

Yes I am still using RC3.... luckily I have not been affected by whats going on... nonetheless I did install the security patch to my forum by emulating RC4

I'm going to try the same. Thanks.
SMF 2.0.1

Like Comics, Books, Movies or T.V. Shows? Read about them here!!

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

Illori

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

mcaswe

Enable local storage of cookies

SMF uses cookies to store login information on the client computer. Cookies can be stored globally (myserver.com) or locally (myserver.com/path/to/forum).
Check this option if you're experiencing problems with users getting logged out automatically.

Arantor

MATTEK

Emulating RC4 in RC3 seems to have worked. Sweet.
SMF 2.0.1

lukeolding

Is it possible to install rc5 whilst my old version is still in use, ie. can i install rc5 into another directory then once install complete, i can look and edit the new version.  Once I am happy with it then change the directory's so Rc5 is the defualt.

Thanks

Luke

lukeolding

Also, what is the easiest way to complete a back up.

Thanks

Illori

How do I backup my database?
if you have cpanel you can use the backup function in it to get a copy of your files and database as well.

Goad

So I have counted a handfull of people now having this issue (including myself) and seems like everyone who isnt having the problem is taking jabs at what to do to fix it.

I am using RC4 (not patched yet) and I have renamed my cookies but I am still having the problem.

Someone said they did the security patch, but still has the problem.

I read on another thread that someone who upgraded to RC5 is still having them problem.

Also, I am not changing my settings to local storage of cookies. The current settings should work.

Sounds like this is a major problem effecting multiple people. Can we get someone from SMF to look into this issue?

Thank you!  ;)

Advertisement: