News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Has RC5 changed the way PM's function?

Started by neilbombd, February 14, 2011, 07:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilbombd

I am running 2.0 RC 4, and I just updated to the new RC5 security patch a few days ago.  I didn't do the full upgrade, just the security fixes.

Since then, it seems like my users have had their PM settings changed.  A lot of them are reporting that they are now finding their profiles are set to receive PM's from administrators only. 

I had a look in the changelog, and can't find anything about this.  Has SMF changed now, so that the default setting is that people have to opt in to getting PM's from regular members?  Or has the upgrade introduced a bug?  I've also installed forum firewall, in the last week, so it may also be that, but I've a feeling it only started after the RC5 security patch.

Illori

do you have the "buddy list" enabled? when it is not enabled getting pms from admin only is the default option.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Illori on February 14, 2011, 08:05:17 AM
do you have the "buddy list" enabled? when it is not enabled getting pms from admin only is the default option.
Actually, it shouldn't be IMO, if it is I'd concider it a bug.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

neilbombd

Quote from: Illori on February 14, 2011, 08:05:17 AM

Nope, don't have buddy lists enabled, and my users seem to be able to set their PM options back to how they should be.

Illori

it has been like this at least the release of RC4 with no way to change what the default is.

Arantor

Quote from: Illori on February 14, 2011, 08:18:19 AM
it has been like this at least the release of RC4 with no way to change what the default is.

It was changed in RC5, actually.

Mari-chi

Huh, that's strange--after upgrading to RC5, I found that my default was changed to "All Members". :S

Edit:

QuoteIt was changed in RC5, actually.

Yeah, that was what I thought. o.O

Chas Large

Just had something similar in that a member cannot PM another as she has "All members except those on my ignore list" which is fair enough by I as an Admin cannot see her ignore list, in fact I cannot see any member's buddy/ignore list, which is strange considering I can see every other aspect of their profile except PMs.

Having never had to look at a members buddy/ignore list, I cannot say if this is something new so is it? or is it standard that Admins cannot see a members buddy/ignore list but can see all their buddies in the standard profile view? I.e., Profile Info > Show Buddies.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: