Optimus

Started by Bugo, February 15, 2011, 03:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugo

Quote from: SirLouen on August 08, 2018, 12:06:22 PM
The old one seem to have some formating, this one seems to be plain xml where is the difference?
The current version uses simple format. Sitemap is for spiders, not for people. Spiders do not need in any formatting.

Quote from: njtweb on August 08, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
sitemap is working
It's good. Optimus is not responsible for the work of search engines.

brettuk

Hi,

Is there any way we're able to exclude certain pages/boards from showing in the sitemap file?

e.g I am blocking the "Introduce Yourself" section from Google, however, it's being listed in the sitemap file.

Thanks, great plugin btw.

njtweb

Check the robots.txt config. Use that as a disallow template for exclusions.

brettuk

Quote from: njtweb on August 14, 2018, 10:14:01 AM
Check the robots.txt config. Use that as a disallow template for exclusions.

I am and that's why I'd like to remove the entries from the sitemap file. I am sending two different signals to Google.

Sitemap: "hey google, crawl this please".

Robots: "Google, please ignore these URL's."

Google now thinks, well the sitemap file is telling me to crawl it but the robots is telling me not to crawl it?

Bugo

Robots will scan everything that is available to them, it does not matter whether it is in sitemap or not. If you do not want to see some board in sitemap, close it for guests in properties.

brettuk

Quote from: Bugo on August 14, 2018, 11:37:19 PM
Robots will scan everything that is available to them, it does not matter whether it is in sitemap or not. If you do not want to see some board in sitemap, close it for guests in properties.

Roger, that will work for me. Thanks.

Also the Sitemap was compatible with pretty URL's at first, but now it seems as if it's switched to index.php urls.

Any idea? My sitemap can be found here.

Bugo

Did you try to recreate the sitemap manually, via Scheduled Tasks area?

brettuk

Quote from: Bugo on August 15, 2018, 10:21:00 AM
Did you try to recreate the sitemap manually, via Scheduled Tasks area?

Thanks for the help.

I have a scheduled task set to re-generate the sitemap every 1 day, yes. Do you think this is interfering?

Bugo

No, it's normal. What settings of Pretty URLs do you have?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hello, I've been using this mod for a while on some forums (and thanks for it, it's great! :) )
I do have a bit of a problem though, I have "Display board description as the meta-tag description" checked, but what actually shows on google is the board name, followed by the forum name, not the board description ???
I looked at the code but couldn't really understand what's wrong, the conditional for the description seemed fine... Do you have any idea?
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Actually... Maybe it should be the opposite here?
if (!empty($modSettings['optimus_board_description'])) {
$context['optimus_description'] = !empty($context['description']) ? $context['description'] : $context['name'];
$context['optimus_description'] = $smcFunc['htmlspecialchars']($context['optimus_description']);

Shouldn't it be
if (!empty($modSettings['optimus_board_description'])) {
$context['optimus_description'] = empty($context['description']) ? $context['description'] : $context['name'];
$context['optimus_description'] = $smcFunc['htmlspecialchars']($context['optimus_description']);

? Perhaps it's me being crazy at 3 a.m. ;D
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Bugo

Search system (Google, in your case) can or can't use meta description tag for its search results. Meta description is only recommendation, not strong rule.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question at all...
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Ninja ZX-10RR

So uhm... Some more updates about this, the code doesn't work because it's run before the board description variable is populated, so it can't find it. You're running your hooks at integrate_pre_include and integrate_pre_load, which is really (and too) early as the hooks documentation says.
I'm 100% sure about it because I tried to change that and that was the only way I could get visible effects. The problem is, I wouldn't really know what hooks to use for this mod, as it doesn't seem to like the other ones I tried either (too late with already established page or too early without variable, can't find the sweet spot).
Any input would be appreciated, you know how your mod works better than me and you surely have a better idea about how to make it work :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

sundar_83

hey installed this mod successfully in SMF 2.0.15 but cant generate sitemap if i click to generate sitemap under schedule task getting internal 500 error other task running successfully kindly help to fix this issue

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on September 05, 2018, 09:22:45 PM
So uhm... Some more updates about this, the code doesn't work because it's run before the board description variable is populated, so it can't find it. You're running your hooks at integrate_pre_include and integrate_pre_load, which is really (and too) early as the hooks documentation says.
I'm 100% sure about it because I tried to change that and that was the only way I could get visible effects. The problem is, I wouldn't really know what hooks to use for this mod, as it doesn't seem to like the other ones I tried either (too late with already established page or too early without variable, can't find the sweet spot).
Any input would be appreciated, you know how your mod works better than me and you surely have a better idea about how to make it work :)
*bump*
Quote from: sundar_83 on September 11, 2018, 06:58:47 AM
hey installed this mod successfully in SMF 2.0.15 but cant generate sitemap if i click to generate sitemap under schedule task getting internal 500 error other task running successfully kindly help to fix this issue
Potentially bad host.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

vinaykumar

Hi Optimus,
Thanks for the great mod which I installed just now.
Running SMF 2.0.15.
While the forum shows 431 topics, the entries in the xml sitemap are 119.
On checking I find that the old posts have not been included in the sitemap while the new ones are all there.
Could you guide me how to fix this so that all posts are present in the sitemap.
Thanks

GigaWatt

Does anybody have Optimus v1.9.9? It seems to be missing from the Package files, thus the package manager can't uninstall it :S.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

smartmouse

Hi, would be useful to add an option like "Add to the sitemap only those topics that have the last post date with year greater that" ?
Maybe it could be a good idea to make sitemap exclude old topics to be indexed...

GigaWatt

Quote from: GigaWatt on September 29, 2018, 08:17:52 PM
Does anybody have Optimus v1.9.9? It seems to be missing from the Package files, thus the package manager can't uninstall it :S.

Just in case anybody was wondering, I found version 1.9.9 ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

brettuk

Hi Bugo,

Great mod - I have been using this for a while now.

I have a question regarding the sitemap re-generation within the scheduled tasks section in SMF.

My categories are being generated in the sitemap file with a change freq of yearly, which seems to be affecting Google's ability to crawl my content. Are we able to change this? If so, how? I'd like my categories to be daily change frequency.

Advertisement: