Optimus

Started by Bugo, February 15, 2011, 03:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbridges87

Hey guys, I have read through the support page of the Optimus mod, trying to figure out exactly how to use it, but I don't quite understand.

I have set my forum description, and if I do a Google search, it shows for crown-sports.com, but not for www.crown-sports.com?
Also, if I do a google search for 'crown-sports.com NFL forum', it shows;

Mar 31, 2020 - Sports Leagues. No New Posts, NFL. The official home of football. Child Boards: Draft Talk.

or a search for 'crown-sports.com NFL Tom Brady', and my site doesn't even show up in the results. How can that be when I have my specific site name in the search?

I don't like the google search results, and would like them to reflect how most other websites do on the web, like this;

Why aren't keywords showing up when I specifically type in 'crown-sports.com nhl wayne gretzky'. That's very specific to my site, and I recently wrote an article with those keywords, but don't get any results?

What exactly do I need to do to have my site to pickup keywords from my posts and display paragraph descriptions such as above?
Come by and check out my sports forum, here.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Arantor

As pointed out in your other topic, first you have to wait for Google to update its index before any updated version will show.

Secondly, anything this mod does is considered a *hint* to Google. It is perfectly free to ignore any and all hints you give it, especially meta keywords is likely to be ignored, but meta description can be ignored for anything if Google thinks it has found a better match.

jbridges87

How long should one be expected to wait? I have posts dating back several weeks that I can't find when I do a google search.

I did just check the box off in Optimus to create a sitemap.xml file today. Perhaps that's what has been missing?
If I do a google search for a specific sentence posted within one of my topics, I was hoping to get a result showing my page, with a paragraph description of the search, as most other sites have.

If it's simply a matter of time, then that's fine, and I can wait. However, I want to be sure there isn't a specific setting and/or file that isn't checked off and/or working properly.

Running SMF v2.0.17

Arantor

There are a total of 10 posts visible to guests on your forum. Don't expect Google to come visit regularly with so little content.

Google is perfectly capable of indexing a site without a sitemap; the sitemap is a suggestion of what content to look at more regularly.

jbridges87

I actually have a total of 16 posts, and those are mostly all mine, as I haven't been able to get any active members as of yet.
Point taken though. My site is new, and I understand it will take some time.

Again, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything with my site settings in terms of Optimus/SEO.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Bugo

Don't think about SEO, think about content. And it will come ;)

marcosbr

Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

marcosbr

sitemap does not enter Tasks scheduled. Not updated! (Optimus-master)

marcosbr

My mistake. Update yes. Even without scheduling

humbleworld

I installed both Optimus and SMFPacks SEO Pro. Will it be in conflict?

gorbi

Quote from: humbleworld on May 17, 2020, 10:24:10 PM
Why two? They are similar.

humbleworld

Quote from: gorbi on May 18, 2020, 01:40:17 AM
Quote from: humbleworld on May 17, 2020, 10:24:10 PM
Why two? They are similar.

So I have to uninstall the other one?

Kindred

Hey Bugo!

you seem to have removed the 2.0.x version of this mod! :(   
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: Kindred on May 20, 2020, 12:04:10 PM
Hey Bugo!

you seem to have removed the 2.0.x version of this mod! :(

Must admit, I was surprised to see it gone too.  ;)

Optimus v2.4 for SMF 2.0.x is on GitHub though.  Last updated 13 days ago.

Bugo

Yes, little by little, I will transfer all my mods to SMF 2.1

Kindred

I understand adding 2.1 -- but are you actually removing 2.0.x? :(

Because 2.0.x is going to continue to be a valid/supported branch until the NEXT release of SMF
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bugo

In fact, the 2.0 version can still be downloaded from Github.
I am tired of messages where people write that the mod does not work or the sitemap is not updated, so I want to migrate the sitemap functionality from the version of the mod for SMF 2.1.
The next version for 2.0 will use caching instead of an update via the Task Manager.

gorbi

Quote from: Bugo on May 27, 2020, 08:00:45 AM
The next version for 2.0 will use caching instead of an update via the Task Manager.
we wait!

gorbi

500 error after update

Bugo

Update PHP version to 7.2 or update the mod.

Advertisement: