News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Copyright Rewording

Started by NewUsername, July 16, 2005, 05:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

Quote from: Tippmaster on August 02, 2005, 05:30:10 PM
after a few months of research, i have put together a formula that will answer all copywrite questions.

Change + Copywrite = No.

I know it looks complicated, but do not worry. It will click eventually.

Ermm... except it's copyright, the right to copy (more than that but basically), not copywrite... the ability to write to copies...?  Incidentally, you can change copies of the source code, just not the copyright statement.

-[Unknown]

1MileCrash

The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

agentbob

Has there been any changes/progress on this front? I agree 100% with the thread starter. It is plain stupid to leave the version number in the footer. Yes you will argue it takes a script kiddie 5minutes to test for all known exploits, but you're taking the narrow view.

Think of how many phpBB boards there are out there. How long has phpBB been around? What's the oldest version you can find out there? How many exploits are available for that version? Can you still get all the exploits since the first? Would you waste your time to do it when there's plenty of boards vulnerable to the lastest exploits?

There is going to be thousands and thousands of SMF installs in the future, and not everyone is like the people on this board that will tend to their boards 24/7, and get paged to wake up when there are updates. Many people have jobs, lives outside their boards. Hell many people just setup a board and never touch it for years.

These 'outdated boards' will eventually give SMF a bad rep. And don't be naive and think 'SMF Coders are Gods! They don't make mistakes like phpBB coders!'--because that's the biggest load of ******. There will be holes in it no matter who is coding it. Think SMF coders are better than NASA engineers who are trained never ever to fail? Well even NASA ******s up.

So to summarize
1) Version numbers will be beacons for hackers in the coming months/years.
2) There WILL BE EXPLOITS for SMF in the future--don't be naive.
3) The people who haven't removed their version numbers will be the easiest targets.
4) Yes removing your version number doesn't make you invulnerable, but it will get rid of 98% of the 'script kiddies' out there.
5) If everyone has their version numbers removed, it increases the effort of finding and successfully hacking sites by at least 20 fold. You can no longer search for vulnerable installs, you need to attempt to crack every single one.

As for the copyright, I agree it makes it seem like lewis media owns your site, domain, graphics and content. I think this is wrong.

I also agree it would be very beneficial to users to choose from 3-4 differently styled/worded copyrights approved by lewis media. This is a very silly thing to be stubborn about.

1MileCrash

The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

agentbob

Quote from: Tippmaster on August 09, 2005, 02:17:26 AM
Change + Copyright = No.

Yes, very clever.

- No + Change + Copyright = 0

Kindred

sheesh.... what is so bloody hard to understand or comply with regarding this copyright?

Agentbob, I believe the SMF team have stated (multiple times) the reason that the version is included... and the reason that it will continue to be included.

You are correct, there are some script kiddies out there who may attempt to search for a specific version of SMF once a hack is found. With the SMF team's response, the hacks are closed, usually before they actually happen. However, I would rebut your argument and state that it is the repsonsibility of the owner of the site to make certain that his/her site is up to date and as protected as possible.
With the SMF Package system, communicating an important update becomes simple and does not rely on the owner to come to SMF and check.... only to view their own site on a regular basis (which EVERY admin should do, anyway). And installing the update consists of maybe 3 clicks on their own site...

As for the other thing....  it has been stated (again, multiple times) that adding text above and/or below the copyright is permissible....

So, feel free to clarify the forum vs site copyrights by doing so...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

btv

Have you ever looked at the FAQ or Policy? so you could see where lies the copyright :)

best regards

hxxp:www.freerolls.dk [nonactive]

Kindred

Quote from: btv on August 09, 2005, 11:10:10 AM
Have you ever looked at the FAQ or Policy? so you could see where lies the copyright :)

btv,    Who were you responding to with that?

be clear who you are addressing such comments to....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Thantos

agentbob,
  It has been said repeatidly that you may remove the version number if you wish.  If you feel that the wording is unclear add some stuff above or below it to clarify.  Such as:

Forum Copyright Information