News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Making Use of Custom Profile Fields

Started by ishy, February 22, 2011, 12:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ishy

Mostly I'm just curious how everyone uses the custom profile fields, and have you made the topic view or profile view decorative at all? What fields have gotten a good response from members? Have you done anything custom with the profile fields that has worked to good success, and can you explain how?

Looking

It depends on what your forum is about. For instance if you r community is about comics then a custom field might show what type of comic the member likes.

ishy

I realize many will be pertinent to the theme of the forum. I still want to know specifically what people have done. The question was not "What can you do?", but "What did you do?".

Looking

I use it sometimes to show certain items to members. For instance if custom field is 'x' then give them these options or restrict them in some way.

ishy

So, sort of like secret messages from admin to a member? That's a use I hadn't considered.

Roph

I'd say I've gone pretty far with SMF's fields. One of the sites I run is based around an MMORPG, and I let users store the info about their character as field entries.

The great thing about them is that they're also easy to grab through SSI for external use, so I can make pages about their characters (let them have a large text field to have their own page content), or even take the info about their character and generate a signature image with that info for them :)

Advertisement: