It is posible to do?

Started by Cigaras, October 12, 2010, 12:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cigaras

I know that lithuanian language is in develope, but i just need that my smf show lithuanian letters like ąčęėįšųū in topics/posts/forums/category is this is posible?

agridoc

Yes it is possible, two ways available.

1. Windows or ISO codepage.
Find in /Themes/default/Languages/index.english.php
$txt['lang_character_set'] = 'ISO-8859-1';
Replace there ISO-8859-1 with windows-1257 or ISO-8859-4. SMF will work then as your PC.
When the Lithuanian language will be available, you will use the smf_version_lithuanian language file. Check which codepage is selected.

2. You can convert to UTF-8. Do a file and database backup before proceeding.
With SMF 1.1x Admin -> Forum maintenance -> Convert the database and data to UTF-8
With SMF 2.0x Admin -> Maintenance: Forum maintenance : Database -> Convert the database and data to UTF-8
As noted with UTF-8
QuoteIt also can enhance search and sorting capabilities for languages with non-latin characters.
When the Lithuanian language will be available, you will use the smf_version_lithuanian-utf8 language file.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

Cigaras

Second way don`t worked.... Letters are showing in ?????????? i will try 1 option

Not work either changed to windows-1257 all the the same.... Maybe i do something wrong?

agridoc

Did you install SMF with Fantastico from your server? In this case you may have a pseudo-UTF8 installation. However, Convert the database and data to UTF-8 wouldn't be available in this case.

I give here a link for a topic in Greek support section about SMF installations with Fantastico, with Google translation. Translation is not perfect but it's usable.

For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod

agridoc

I saw in older messages that you recently converted to SMF 1.11 from phpBB 3.1. Lithuanian language chars displayed correctly after conversion?

Cigaras

Quote from: agridoc on October 12, 2010, 11:45:37 PM
I saw in older messages that you recently converted to SMF 1.11 from phpBB 3.1. Lithuanian language chars displayed correctly after conversion?

No after convert no lithuanian letters was displayed...

agridoc

For older messages converted from phpBB, it's quite possible that something went wrong with conversion. One must follow strictly the steps, it's a procedure that can easily go wrong. I have no personal experience with conversion from phpBB but this has been reported quite a few times.

You should also know well, before converting, with what codepage phpBB forum worked.

With new messages an ISO SMF with windows-1257 or a proper UTF-8 SMF should accept and display wel Lithuanian and other languages.

Cigaras

I converted only for database. That database i used for new clean instaled smf 1.1.11

And i don`t know what fantastico is. I am new at smf...

Kenniee

Okay if it is possible. It's fine,
But one who does not know about the Italian.. How would he understand what is written? ???

Advertisement: