News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RC5 bug - mobile version

Started by safeacid, March 05, 2011, 03:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

safeacid

Can not send a private message tru mobile version
do anybody have the same problem, if yes any advise how to solve it?

NanoSector

Should rather be in Bug Reports, then.

I'm not even sure if it's a bug, though.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

SlammedDime

Can you define which mobile version?  wap?  wap2? imode?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I just succesfully sent a new PM to myself on RC5 with no problems on ;wap2
( well, no problems except that the member search doesn't seem to accept anything else than complete matches, so it's not an actual search really... )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

safeacid

While pressing send button getting an error

An Error Has Occurred!

You are not allowed to access this section

• Board index
    Go to full version[/i]

So any suggestion ?

live627

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I've now tested them all.
Wap doesn't even show the PM options so couldn't test that obviously,
Wap2 works OK but the member search didn't quite do it's job,
Imode worked perfectly, and even the search worked flawlessly.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

safeacid

It is wap2, I have tried several phones
Even I am trying to send msg via mob.ver on desktop same
error appears

safeacid

Hi
Seem I found where is the "worm"
I am not using captcha for RC5 because it dosent work and reCaptcha still is not available for RC5, so I have selected an option for stammers"question+answer" but for some reason when using mobile version security question dosent appears while you are sending a PM tru mobile version.
For admin no problem I can send and if swich off security working fine for all users

Pls advise the solution?
Any news about reCaptcha will be available for rc5?

Arantor

Even the reCaptcha mod author is suggesting people use the verification questions instead of reCaptcha now...

The reason verification doesn't work is that by default it's using a CAPTCHA image - which won't appear on WAP/imode/WAP2 compliant devices, since the specification doesn't properly support images (same reason you can't register on a mobile device)

safeacid

If u select verification question, this question dosent appears in mobile view and you cannnot send a PM, needs verification, seem it is a bug in RC5

I have installed new RC without any mods - same story, but no problem to reply on posts, only problem for PM

Waiting yours guys ?

Arantor

And you get verification questions on posting, do you? (or is that not turned on?)

safeacid

Verification question appears only in full view and not mobile

Pls try to register and send PM to admin via mobile view

www.ukhomeservice/test

New installation of RC5 no mods installed

Arantor

-sigh- I already explained WHY that's the case. It's by design.

safeacid

Captcha ios OFF
Verification by question ON

So admin can send PM without problem and post/reply msgs in topics

User can't send PM but able to reply/post msgs

These all for wap2

If put OFF querstion verification no problem at all

Sure there is something wrong with verification question

Arantor

No, it's by design. Since easily the default is to use a CAPTCHA *IMAGE*, which isn't supported in wireless, the devs didn't make it possible to show the verification AT ALL in wireless mode.

The case of using just questions is so rare, that it was a deliberate design decision to not support verification at all in wireless modes for that very reason.

safeacid

But seem very strange
You can reply to posts in wap2 but cannot send a PM
Isn't ?

Arantor

You couldn't reply to posts if you turned on verification for posts for the same reason...

safeacid

I can reply to posts but can't reply to PM this is a point

Pls check on ukhomeservice.co.uk/test

Use log and pass test test

Arantor

Yes, because you didn't set up verification on posts! So it isn't a problem!

If you turn verification on for posting you will have the same problem there too...

safeacid

safeacid

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I would still concider that a bug, even if it was by design. The error message is no good since it's inaccurate, and either the error needs to be corrected, or the option to send PMs simply hidden when not usable.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

*shrug* It's working as it was intended; that you should not be able to circumvent the verification restriction from mobile devices, and mobile devices didn't support the CAPTCHA image. While you could make it support it if it's purely textual questions, the vast majority won't ever see that use case - which means the error message should probably change, or give out an error. The fact it doesn't, that's probably classifiable as a bug...

* Arantor grins cheekily and points to Mantis :P

Advertisement: