Credits link in the footer

Started by Masterd, December 10, 2010, 07:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterd

It will be nice to put the credits link in the footer. (www.urltotheforum.com/index.php?action=credits)

Illori

and what would actually be on the "credits" page? I would rather have credit for smf developers on this site so that every time it changes our version is not outdated, there is a copyright to link to this site already giving credit to smf.

Masterd

Quote from: Illori on December 10, 2010, 09:10:20 AM
and what would actually be on the "credits" page?

Credits page is allready in the SMF, but it's not working on this site. I don't know why.

TheDisturbedOne

It's not hard to add it yourself.  I don't know about it being default in the footer though.  Great for the people here at SMF, but adds more to the footer.

青山 素子

Wasn't one of the purposes for the credits page to act as a way for modification authors to post their names/lines without messing up the footer for a bunch of little modifications?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

sAce

Quote from: bluedevil on December 10, 2010, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: S-Ace on December 10, 2010, 01:39:20 PM
Works for me
- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=credits
They forgot to add you. hehehe

No Problem, i Just want to Help  ;)

Quote from: 青山 素子 on December 10, 2010, 11:03:21 PM
Wasn't one of the purposes for the credits page to act as a way for modification authors to post their names/lines without messing up the footer for a bunch of little modifications?

Yes, thats correct,

http://www.soumik-ace.com/index.php?action=credits

Joker™

Smf should really make much more use of the credit page, as it would look nice to have a single link of credit page showing appreciation to mod authors also if they want to put there name for copyrights, instead of having 6-7 lines in footer. I wonder why SMF hasn't made much use of the credit page.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Masterd

Quote from: Joker™ on December 10, 2010, 11:31:16 PM
I wonder why SMF hasn't made much use of the credit page.

That was a reason why I started this topic.

Masterd

Arantor

Funny, this was suggested last autumn, but more enthusiastically but it didn't go down too well...

Matthew K.

I like the general idea...but the question is, would mod authors actually put their links in the credits section? Wouldn't bigger mods such as portals still put their links in the footer?

I don't think it's as practical as it sounds, although it would be nice.

NanoSector

It would be nice...but how and where are we gonna do it?

PS the bump limit is 24 hours, not 24 days ;)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

live627

Quote from: Joker™ on December 10, 2010, 11:31:16 PM
Smf should really make much more use of the credit page, as it would look nice to have a single link of credit page showing appreciation to mod authors also if they want to put there name for copyrights, instead of having 6-7 lines in footer. I wonder why SMF hasn't made much use of the credit page.
I'll be willing to say that if two integration hooks were added to that page, more people would/might use it.

Arantor

Let me add a little history; back in 2009, we (the Cust team at the time) talked about whether mods should have visible copyrights, and whether the copyrights should be limited in scope and so on.

We concluded that as nice as it would be to use such a page, the edit system made it woefully impractical because any two mods would suddenly collide, such that the current situation is invariably better.

Yes, if there were hooks, it would easily be an improvement and then a real guideline can be used in 'encouraging' mods to use that. In fact, I'd suggest that both theme and mod copyright get moved there rather than not, but that's just me.

Matthew K.

I fully agree. If hooks were added for the credits page, and it was encouraged to put mod copyrights and theme copyrights there, AND a credits link was added somewhere - Probably the footer. I would definitely think it's a good idea.

Masterd

I also agree with Arantor. That will be really useful for mod authors.

Norv

Thank you for the proposal.

A link to the Credits page has been added to the Help page, in RC5.

I think it is a good idea to have hooks for credits. We will keep it in mind for the next version. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: