User Deleted, Posts remain, how to remove?

Started by GB_Techie, March 07, 2011, 02:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rugrat

Looking through my recycle board and database, it actually looks like the email address is wiped out once you delete the member. See attachment posted above. The email address should be between the username and ip address I believe. But the username remains :) That should be enough to reassign to a new user I believe, but I've never tired it.

CapadY

When I understand it well topicstarter want to ban all used IP-adresses with this account. So I think deleting the posts is not realy a solution.
First at all he want to have a list with all used IP's at this account.
Next query will give all used IP's as result:

select distinct poster_ip from smf_messages where poster_email = "used email address"

After running this query you know which  IP's to ban.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Arantor

QuoteLooking through my recycle board and database, it actually looks like the email address is wiped out once you delete the member.

No it's not. Under the name you'll see an email link...

GB_Techie

Quote from: Arantor on March 08, 2011, 03:15:12 AM
User ID and user name are two DIFFERENT THINGS.

User id is the number internally used, user name is stored in the post along with user email and IP address. In fact, I already pointed out how you could find both the user name and email address used on the posts... just LOOK AT ONE OF THEM IN THE FORUM!

To be honest, I thought you were talking about something else since it didn't work...which is why I kept asking, but I'll explain.

Quote from: Arantor on March 07, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
Browse for some of the posts... The username used will be posted in thread, there will be a link underneath for emailing and it should have the IP address in the bottom right corner of the post.

I've just clicked on the email link below a 'guest' post of a deleted member and the email field is empty (whereas for active members it gives me the email address).  Is the name that is left up the username as I always thought it was the display name as a lot of our members change their display name before they delete so it doesn't look like they made the post.  The IP address is there as usual but it would mean manually finding each of the hundred messages posted.

If I have misunderstood then I appreciate your help thus far and would be grateful if you would explain what I've missed.
THE Lesbian guide - www.gingerbeer.co.uk

rugrat

OP, here is what I just did on my forum.

Created a new user "testing101" in Admin > Members > Registration.

Then went to Maintenance > Forum Maintenance > Members, and in Reattribute User Posts I selected Username of, instead of Email address of. In the Username of field, I input the username of the account, now a guest account, that was deleted. In the Attribute posts to member field, I input my new user testing101. I unchecked Add posts to users post count. Then click the Reattribute button. The system will prompt you if you want to do this.

After I did this, the deleted guest account was renamed to testing101. I then went to the Profile page of testing101 and selected Show Posts. This gave me a list of all post. You have to open each post to get the IP addresses.

When finished, I deleted user testing101 and the old guest account was renamed back to what it was.

Hope that helps

GB_Techie

Thanks Rugrat, I know how to reallocate posts and I've tried it but it doesn't seem to be the username which is displayed as this guest....or it's not recognising it.  I'll just have to ask people to rtm as many posts as possible.
THE Lesbian guide - www.gingerbeer.co.uk

Advertisement: