News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

how to change PM Image icon when there is a new message?

Started by 3mrhythm, January 24, 2011, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3mrhythm

I want to change the message icon when there is a new message.. rather than using the pop up notification..

www.nhfragswap.com/forum is the forum I have running

www.nhfragswap.com
www.yariscentral.com

flapjack

do you mean the one like the orange [new] icon that appears next to the topic?
you will have to change this file:
Quoteyour_forum_address.com/Themes/your_theme/images/english-utf8/new.gif
also, remember to change "english-utf8" if you're using different language

Illori

depending on your theme when you have the pop up disabled [in your profile] the number of pms unread will appear next to the link for My Messages

3mrhythm

I would like the icon that the arrow is pointing at to change to something else when there are new messages.
www.nhfragswap.com
www.yariscentral.com

Illori

since that is a custom theme you are best to ask the author.

3mrhythm

i did.. a long time ago and it was never answered.. i am guessing he doesnt come here much
www.nhfragswap.com
www.yariscentral.com

Illori

you could try posting in the graphics/templates board and hope someone can help you out.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Has this been solved? Or is there something you need assistance with still? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

3mrhythm

still havent been helped or figured it out yet.

basically on the theme there is a sliding menu.. i was hoping to have the ability to have the pm icon on the menu to change to a different icon (same icon with "new)  when the user has a new message.
www.nhfragswap.com
www.yariscentral.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This would need some custom coding, and since you are using a custom theme, it would need to be done to that theme specifically.
What theme is it that you are using?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

3mrhythm

its called darkmark

i wish i knew how to write all this code stuff. lol  I can do minor changes through trial and error ..but calling functions and such is beyond me. lol

posted on the theme support thread before posting here and the author has never responded or even signed in as far as i know since way before my post
www.nhfragswap.com
www.yariscentral.com

Angelina Belle

It looks like you are not getting the kind of response you were hoping for here. This is probably because you want help customizing a custom theme, and you have posted on the general 2.x support board.

I understand you have not gotten the help you desire on the theme's support thread.

I have a few pieces of advice:
1) If you want to customize themes, do learn a little bit of php, HTML, and CSS.
2) For help on this kind of stuff, try hanging out with the customizers and themers on http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=60.0 and http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=34.0. If you have begun by learning a little bit, and show a willingness to learn more, you fill find someone willing to point you in the right direction
3) If you have no interest in doing this work yourself, you could request help, either paid or unpaid on the help wanted board. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0

If you know which you would like to do, I could move this topic to an appropriate board for you.

Otherwise, I'd be inclined to mark this topic "solved" with "Solution: Get some customization help from one of the customization boards", as it is not a general SMF 2.x support question.

Help Wanted (not for support)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: