News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Upgrading from RC to Final

Started by Antignor, March 09, 2011, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antignor

Hi all,

I'm looking for a forum on my website and I think SMF is very nice. But as version 2 is still in RC-stage I don't really know what to do, because of future upgrades to the final release.
Will it be easy to upgrade from the current RC to a newer RC when it is released or to the final release, without having to go through a complete new installation process?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Bigguy

Yes upgrading is quite easy. You should have no problem at all. :)

Arantor

But the upgrade will remove mods and possibly break themes, because mods are generally applied as code-level changes that the upgrade will remove when it adds fresh files.

Bigguy

That is true, but upgrading is still easy and mods and themes can always be installed again. During an upgrade most mods retain their info as it is usually stored in the database. So you should not experience any loss of data from any mods installed during an upgrade.

Arantor

*nods* That's true enough. Just something to be aware of, really.

Bigguy

It's always good to be aware of all facts for sure. :)

CapadY

I don't know if you are in a hurry by making your forum but maybe you can wait for the gold-version ?
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Antignor

Thanks for your replies. I'm not really in a hurry, I could wait. But I read on this forum that it's not known when the final version will be released to the wild. It could be a couple of months, but also a year as far as I read. I don't like to wait that long.
An upgrade from 1.1.13 to 2 (final) will encounter similar or even worse problems I suppose.

Btw, the web-install script, what version does that install? 1.1.13 I suppose?

Thanks

Matthew K.

Hey there, and welcome to SMF!

Upgrades can be done very easily, and if you can't do it, there are people around the community that would most likely be able to give you a hand in the upgrade when the time comes.

I personally would suggest just using SMF 2.0 RC5 and then upgrading to final when it comes out.

Antignor

And can I use the web-installer to install 2.0 RC5 or do I need to use the retro-style full-package-installer for that?

Matthew K.

I do believe you can use the web-installer for SMF 2.0 RC5. Although I personally have never used it.

Maybe someone else can confirm this for you :)

Antignor

I didn't read well enough. It should be possible to choose the version:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=941
"4) Select the version and languages"

Ok, I'll go for that.

Thanks for your support!

Matthew K.

No problem. Marking topic resolved! Hope all goes well for you :)

Antignor

FYI, I'm just beginning the web-installer, but I only can install 1.1.13. No option to choose another version. So it's gonna be the tradition install after all.

Illori

the webinstaller seems broken at the moment we are waiting for the developers to fix it. in the mean time you will need to use the normal install/upgrade methods.

Bigguy

Antignor

@Illori
I already did that and the forum is installed. The install went easy and flawless and it's working fine so far.

@Bigguy
I read those indeed. But the install is so easy there's nothing much to explain anyway :)

Thanks for the info anyway!

Bigguy

Advertisement: