News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How do I Split/Merge to move a message?

Started by Emerogork, March 09, 2011, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emerogork

Is it possible to move and/or reorder comments left in a forum? I would like to have common comments/responses located next to each other or moved to an appropriate discussion.

Is it possible to set it so that the latest post occurs on top of the list instead at the bottom?

xrunner

Quote from: Emerogork on March 09, 2011, 09:43:35 PM
Is it possible to move and/or reorder comments left in a forum? I would like to have common comments/responses located next to each other or moved to an appropriate discussion.

Yes, any administrator or board Mod or Global Mod can move posts to the correct boards. In fact, that is why you need moderators, to make sure the forum stays organized.

Emerogork

and,...  I am the moderator  (-:

Can you explain how to do it?
I just don't see it in the admin options...

Matthew K.

You should see "Split Topic" in topics, which will allow you to move posts into a new topic.

You also might be looking for "Move Topic" which will be at the base of topics.

Would you please let us know what version of SMF you are running?

Emerogork

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on March 09, 2011, 11:36:43 PM
You should see "Split Topic" in topics, which will allow you to move posts into a new topic.

You also might be looking for "Move Topic" which will be at the base of topics.

Would you please let us know what version of SMF you are running?

version 1.1.13
I did find Split topic which will create a new topic using a message from the old topic.  I don't see Move option.

Also, I see that on this system,  the text will scroll if I type in more than one screen full.  In my system, the text starts to bounce up and down hiding the line of text being entered.  Some times it is visible, other times it is below the bottom horizon. Is there some type of Bounce/de-bounce setting?

P.S.  When I come back in to modify or correct spelling, do you get a second notification?

Arantor

The bounce thing is a bug in IE8. Either turn on compatibility view or switch to another browser.

Illori

if you dont have the option to move threads, contact your forum admin and ask them what permissions you have.

xrunner

Quote from: Emerogork on March 10, 2011, 12:47:12 AM
I did find Split topic which will create a new topic using a message from the old topic.  I don't see Move option.

You can move a single post to another thread by using the split topic function. Split the single post off to a new temporary topic. Then merge the temporary topic to the existing thread you want to move the post to. Presto - you have "moved" a single post.

Emerogork

I am getting back into using a forum and want to figure out how to move a message from one topic to another.  I have two general categories (2011 and 2012)and seem to be able to move between them but that is not what I want to do. Forgive me if this has been explained but I am just not seeing it.

In my 2012 category,  I have an entry that was created by using New Topic.  It should be a Reply in a topic. I have the message on the screen and figure that I should see Split but I do not. I did see Split somewhere once but cannot find it again.

If I click on Merge, I do see where I want to send it in the Target Topic list. When I click on it, the screen goes to that topic but the message is not there. There is a text box for "ID of Target Topic"  but it is blank.  What goes in there?

If I click on Move Topic, I can only move it to the 2011 general category.

It all looks as if I need to solve this missing Split option.

Kindred

First of all. please do not hijack another user's (ancient) commentary thread with requests for support. Support should be requested in the support board.

second:
what missing split option?
You can split anything out of a thread except the first post... For obvious reasons, you can never split the first post out of a thread.

You can merge the entire thread into another thread, either by selecting the target thread (which must be in the same board) from the list or by typing the target thread's ID directly in the textbox (which can be targeted, regardles sof the target thread's location/board). The ID of a thread is the number listed after topic= in the URL.

You can move thread between boards...  so, itf you only have two boards, yes... you will only have one option to move the thread to....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Emerogork

I have no idea what Hijack means here...

"Support should be requested in the support board", is this not a support board?  The path I see here is: SM Community Forum>>SMF Support >>SMF 2.x Support >>Topic:..."
It looks like a support board to me... If not, tell me where to go...

Much of what you have said is not helping.  Yes I know THAT I can split a thread, I just don't see HOW to split a thread.  I am not seeing a button (option) that says "Split".  I believe I saw it a while back but am not seeing it now.  I am logged in as admin.

In the mean time, I have accidentally figured how to move between boards even though that is not what I wanted to do. (-:  I have also moved it back.

The student created a message by hitting "New Topic" (an option I wish to disable for all except admin)) and I want to place it in a topic as a reply.  It looks like I want to merge that first post with an existing "New Topic" that contains a "first post" and its many replies.

I get to the Merge Topics Screen and the "Topic to be merged" is the message I wish to move. The target board is correct.  The ID is blank. I see the target topic in the list.

Kindred

Well, for one, the topic got moved by a mod. It was originally not in the support boards

For two, hijack means starting your own problem in a thread which someone else started t handle their problem. Especially an old topic from over a year ago. Start your own help topic(s) for help with your problems.

For three... If you see the topic you want to merge into, the merge it...  You don't need to fill n the topic I'd unless you want to merge it directly, that way.

And, as I said, split topic will never appear on the first post in a thread... You can not slit the first post. Ever. You could split all posts that follow the first post, which,  suppose would have, essentially the  same results.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Emerogork

I wonder who has the problem here.

1) _ I _ started the discussion back then and I believe it was moved very early in the original discussion.  It IS my own topic.

2)  I was only reviewing the original problem and was seeking to clear it up as i was trying to see how it was resolved back then. I needed clarification in what was done.

3) It looks as if you are clearly wrong in your point that one does not need the ID to merge a reply into another topic.  When I tried to select the topic to which I was going to merge, it did not merge.  Them someone in another forum indicated that I go to the message, look at the number in the URL and that is the ID.  I place that number and it merged exactly as I wanted it to do so.

4) Nowhere in your responses did you ever state HOW to do the merge, all you said was that it can be done as if to order me do to it.

For the most part, I have enough to continue on my own with little assistance from you. Personally, I feel that you are harassing me.

I don't know about you but I am done here...
O&O...

Kill Em All

Moving on...

On every post, you should see a split link. Select the one you want to split from, and then just follow it from there.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Splitting_topics

You can look there for more info.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: