News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2 Different Forums with the same user database

Started by shinnok, March 11, 2011, 04:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnok

Hello all,
i'm trying to create a second forum (for different purposes than the first one). I'd like to keep the same database of the users of my fisrt forum but i don't know how to do it.
I'd like something like this:

- User logs in in Forum 1
- User click on the link to Forum 2
- User is logged in Forum 2 too, without re-login (and same thing if they log in Forum 2 and then change to Forum 1)

Same user, only 1 login for 2 forums in 2 different addresses.

The first forum is SMF 2.0RC3 and the second will be SMF 1.1 (probably).

Is it possible to do? Thanks

Arantor

If you mean to share the database between two or more forums, you MUST do it with the same version. The 1.1 database will not work with 2.0 and vice versa due to the massive number of changes.

Assuming they're the same version, it becomes possible, but not overly straight forward. Multiple forums sharing members just aren't overly simple to make happen in SMF; it's actually easier to make it look like two separate forums running in the same physical instance than it is to share multiple forums with the same user data, if only because post counts and avatars being shared makes it incredibly difficult to share it efficiently.

shinnok

Ok thanks for the answer.
I was thinking about getting joomla and try a bridge, but i can't find one that works with SMF 2.0RC3, so i guess i'm going to use the same forum for 2 sites. How do i make it look like 2 different forums? For example, is it possibile to use 2 different themes for 2 different sections? Like if the second section is a completely different forum/site.

P.S. i'm using SimplePortal too, could it give problems?

Thanks

Arantor

QuoteFor example, is it possibile to use 2 different themes for 2 different sections?

You can use different themes in each board if you like. I was thinking more of the Multiple Forum Mod that was kicking around here somewhere, though.

I can't think of any obvious problems SP might cause.

shinnok

Great, thanks again. Now i go to check for that mod too, hope i can find it.  And then i try something with the themes  8)

EDIT:

i found it but it says it's not compatible with SMF 2.0 RC3..... anyone tried it maybe and can confirm that?
Thanks

PTdude

I just started to test this mod on RC2 but it does not ( yet ) work.

Advertisement: