Post Moderation By Board

Started by Xarcell, March 11, 2011, 01:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

Ok, I wanted to set a few boards to require approval for new topics.

So I've turned post moderation on.

Then I when to modify the board I want to set post moderation on.

I selected permissions and created a new profile called "Approval". Then I edited the permissions for approval to "topic: can create, but requires approval" for Regular Members.

Then I set the profile for that board to "Approval".

From there I used another account(non-admin, non-moderator) in another browser and tested it. This account/user can post freely without approval.

Am I missing something?

Arantor

You probably left the ability to post without requiring moderation on regular members and/or post count groups - remember, it only requires any one group that the user has to be able to post without moderation to be able to do so.

Xarcell

Through more testing, I tried setting the default permission profile to "can create, but requires approval". That seemed to have no effect ether. Then I set it to "Cannot create", again, no effect.

I then tried to delete the "approval" profile, and cannot. the check boxes on the right are un-checkable(bug).

Arantor

-sigh- If any one group that your test user has (bearing in mind if they don't have an assigned group they're in regular members, AND they have a post count group) the power, they will have the power. You might be easier using deny permissions instead actually...

Xarcell

Quote from: Arantor on March 11, 2011, 01:46:18 PM
You probably left the ability to post without requiring moderation on regular members and/or post count groups - remember, it only requires any one group that the user has to be able to post without moderation to be able to do so.

I was thinking that, but I have 4 parent groups. Guest, regular members, global moderator, and moderator. I membergroups that I have created, inherit the "regular members" permissions as I only use them for secondary groups. Also, the primary membergroup of the user posting has not changed. Only added secondary groups.

I will test further...

Xarcell

Btw, remember I'm trying to do this approval on a by board, not by membergroup. Aka, board profiles.

Arantor

And in a board profile you still define it based on which member groups have the ability to post without moderation. So you still have the same notion as before of having to have to limit permissions based on groups.

Xarcell

Alright, I'll try removing the permission in "regular members" membergroup, to post?

Arantor

Yup. That permission is overriding your post moderation.

Xarcell

OMG, smf permissions is retarded. It's too complicated.

Anyways, I still cannot get it to work.

I just when ahead and denied the ability to post for regular members by membergroup and board profile. Still it can post freely.

Arantor

QuoteI just when ahead and denied the ability to post for regular members by membergroup and board profile. Still it can post freely.

Then look at their permissions while logged in as an admin and see what's giving them the permission.

Xarcell

I got it figured out. Thanks for your help Arantor.

I hate the SMF permission system when settings permissions, but enjoy the options when used.  ::)

The problem was my post group. I changed the permissions to inherit regular members.

Man, I find SMF so frustrating at times.  :P

Arantor

The permissions system needs an overhaul, certainly, but most of it isn't *that* bad. Mind you, I still think it's sufficiently broken as a whole that it needs to be rewritten from scratch...

Xarcell

Quote from: Arantor on March 11, 2011, 02:12:19 PM
The permissions system needs an overhaul, certainly, but most of it isn't *that* bad. Mind you, I still think it's sufficiently broken as a whole that it needs to be rewritten from scratch...

Arantor, you really should consider starting a project and write your own software. You remind me so much of unknown, who is sorely missed in the SMF community.

Illori

Quote from: Xarcell on March 11, 2011, 03:09:10 PM
Arantor, you really should consider starting a project and write your own software. You remind me so much of unknown, who is sorely missed in the SMF community.

he is working on something similar already.

Xarcell

Quote from: Illori on March 11, 2011, 03:11:39 PM
Quote from: Xarcell on March 11, 2011, 03:09:10 PM

he is working on something similar already.

I recently heard ;)

kaydrive

This does not seam to be working in 2.0 RC 5.

Illori

in what way does it not work?

kaydrive

I just was reading over this Group again and i will try to reset up as out lined on this board and report back.

Sory for the prepost.

kaydrive

Took my time this time and it looks like its working now.

Thanks

Advertisement: